Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 09:40:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: *UPDATE*: One of the Coolest [and smart] Ways to "Cash Out" or Store You Wealth  (Read 1128 times)
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 12:32:13 AM
Last edit: August 30, 2013, 11:39:23 PM by johnniewalker

Hey everybody,

I am talking about rare coins. Buying a rare coin for a lot of money does not necessarily mean you are a collector. If you could buy ANY product that you knew you could resell and for more money, wouldn't you? There is literally a huge market for rare coins, just check eBay. Its almost impossible to get a good deal as a buyer on there selling (because there are so many collectors watching every auction). But, the opportunity to make money as a seller is great. There is literally always someone on there who wants to buy your rare coin. One good thing about rare coins-even if they are made of gold or silver, they do not fluctuate with spot prices. And, there definitely aren't more of any specific one being made, so in time (and I'm talking year-year...check out the US Coin "Red Book") they only climb in value.

I personally have a BIG collection and would like to turn some of it into Bitcoins. So, I will be offering coins on here for bitcoins, at a price distinctly lower than whatever people are paying for them (eBay is obviously the best way to check this). So, you can buy a rare coin for bitcoins, and turn around and flip it for more cash. Or, you can buy a rare coin and keep it, knowing that at the very least its value won't go down. Who know's-you might even get into collecting!

EDIT: I have taken your guys' comments to heart and will list below only US Silver pieces. Still feeling out the price-range people are willing to pay, so these are average-low, with a rarer one in there (nickel). I figured that since I was going to be selling my coins, I should 1) invest in an expensive magnifier so I can more accurately grade, and 2) give you guys a description of what "numismatics" really means:

I think I should explain exactly what "numismatic" means. Collecting coins truly is a science. Coins can be rare for a few reasons: A rare design, date, mintmark, error, or even just existence!
There is a "bible" for US coin collecting-its the Whitman Red Book, which comes out every year (you can find it at your local coin shop, Amazon, anywhere books are sold, really). It literally lists the value of every coin minted in US history-and its important to have the latest edition because prices change (if a coin is rare now, it will be even more rare in 10 years).

With the exception of some coins of which VERY few exist, condition is EVERYTHING. I am pretty sure everyone has heard of "coin grading". There are third party, professional companies who grade and then slab coins (NGC, PCGS). I'm an NGC member-I send my most valued coins to them for grading.

How can you determine a coin's grade if you don't send it to a professional third party grading company? Well, the Whitman Red Book also explains what makes a particular coin of a particular grade. For example, say you have a 1932-D Washington Quarter. This is the first year Washington quarters were minted, so this is a very valuable coin, even regardless of its condition. In the grade of "VG-8" (the lowest grade the Red Book has for this coin), or "Very Good 8", the coin is listed at $175.00. Now, say you are really lucky, and you find a 1932-D Quarter in what looks to be very good condition. You determine that its grade is "EF 40", or Extra-Fine 40. You have determined that because of the strict criteria the Red Book has listed for an EF-40 Quarter. An EF-40 Quarter is, according to the Red Book, characterized by "Hair lines sharp. Wear spots confined to top of eagle's legs and center of breast." Congrats-you have a $300 coin!

Understand that this really is the numismatic "bible"-its the accepted standard for accessing coin grade and value. Often times coins come graded. You can leave them that way, but I like to do a secondary check. The industry standard is 5x magnification to observe "wear" as mentioned above (10x is considered too high-there would be blemishes everywhere).
So, understand that every coin listed is listed at its actual value based on a comprehensive grading by consultation of the Whitman Red Book, as performed by the coin shop and myself. You can thus be rest-assured that each coin is accurately graded and therefore accurately priced.

That being said, here are the coins I am offering, with their BOOK-assigned grade and price.
Keep in mind that all of these coins are 90% silver (except for the nickel, which is 35% silver). You are paying for silver value with a small premium for the rarity factor. Check "coinflation.com" to see exactly what each coin is worth in terms of strictly precious metal content.

All Prices Include US Shipping-If You Are International Please PM Me
A special additional coin will be added for free to each order!

1. 1893 World Expo "Columbian" Half Dollar - These coins were made available for sale at the World Fair in Chicago in 1893 for $1 (although they are legal tender for 50 cents). I think this is one of the most under-appreciated commemorative halves:

2. 1908 O Barber Half - I have always been fascinated by the New Orleans Mint. Its characterized by some kind of "mystery" behind it. It was rumored to have minted exclusively Confederate coinage during the Civil War:

3. 1949 P Franklin Half - I like the Franklin Half a lot more than the Kennedy Half, I don't know about you. This year is a semi key-date:

4. 1963 Proof Quarter - This quarter is literally in mint condition. It is still in its mint packaging. Only in the late '50s/early '60s did the US Mint have any real success in getting people to buy annual mint sets. Most of these were opened, though. A "Proof" coin is struck multiple (usually 3) times to produce a better looking coin. Sometimes it will produce a deep cameo/frosted effect. They are great coins to collect!:

5. 1943 D Nickel - This is a "War Nickel"; the US needed nickel for WWII, so from '43-'45 they produced nickels composed of 35% silver. You may find some in circulation-the silver content makes them turn a dark black, and they are distinct in that their mintmark is enlarged, right above Monticello on the back of the coin. This particular coin is "choice uncirculated". It was never circulated, and it is taking a pleasant rainbow tone, which will continue to progress. This is definitely the rarest coin in the bunch:

Questions? Ask!

Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
djjacket

Activity: 784
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 07:52:22 PM

How's the luster on the Franklin?  Does it appear to be cleaned or true AU?
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 08:03:47 PM

wow, nice to see a coin collector here.  I used to collect coins and stamps long time ago.     
peonminer

Activity: 798
Merit: 531

Crypto is King.

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 11:20:04 PM

Nice coins... mind posting a few more US coins? ^_^ if you have a 'full list' of what you're selling with asking price(you said there will be more to come), I would love to have it PM'd to me. If not, no biggie.
djjacket

Activity: 784
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 12:35:29 AM

Nice coins... mind posting a few more US coins? ^_^ if you have a 'full list' of what you're selling with asking price(you said there will be more to come), I would love to have it PM'd to me. If not, no biggie.

Looking forward to seeing what else comes available for US coins as well...
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 09:26:42 AM

wow, nice to see a coin collector here.  I used to collect coins and stamps long time ago.    
Thanks man! You must be too?
Thanks to the others above me for the kind words, too.
Can you guys let me know one more thing-what price range are you looking at?

Also, I should have said, but the "Colombian Coin" is a US coin. Its a commemorative half-dollar that came out during the World Fair Exposition in 1893.

@djjacket: You obviously know what you're talking about. I'll send you some [closer-up] pictures.
EDIT: It  definitely has a noticeable amount of its original luster. I compared to a BU Franklin.

So lookout for more US Silver coinage soon.
Thanks!
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 11:32:19 PM

BUMP for new inventory
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: