Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:23:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's send Satoshi to Financial Cryptography  (Read 2679 times)
Hal (OP)
VIP

Activity: 314
Merit: 3853

View Profile
January 15, 2011, 10:48:22 PM
Merited by Syke (10), ABCbits (1)

Since we're all rich with bitcoins, or we will be once they're worth a million dollars like everyone expects, we ought to put some of this unearned wealth to good use. What better than to send our benefactor Satoshi to the Financial Cryptography conference.

http://ifca.ai/fc11/

FC is traditionally held at luxurious island resorts, and this year is no exception. Satoshi could meet the movers and shakers of the financial and cryptographic worlds while enjoying the beautiful beaches of St. Lucia. Unfortunately it is too late for him to speak, but given Bitcoin's enormous growth and potential, no doubt he would make many valuable connections. Indeed it may well turn out that Bitcoin becomes the single most successful example of Financial Cryptography.

FC does tend to be expensive. We appear to have missed the cutoff for cheap rooms. We probably need to budget $300 a night or about $1500. Add ~$500 for registration, maybe $2000 for travel, and we're talking about $4K or so. If 40 people chipped in $100 we'd be golden.

This is our chance to give something back to the creator of this fantastic new form of money, or currency, or payment system, or whatever. All we need is Satoshi's agreement and we can get started.

Hal Finney

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
January 15, 2011, 10:55:11 PM
Merited by ABCbits (2)

Since Satoshi wants to remain anonymous, this idea is obviously a non-starter. And if he wanted to go, well ... he has more bitcoins than almost anyone here and could just cash in a few.

PS: Anyway, he may already be attending as part of his "day job".
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 15, 2011, 11:08:12 PM

Since Satoshi wants to remain anonymous, this idea is obviously a non-starter. And if he wanted to go, well ... he has more bitcoins than almost anyone here and could just cash in a few.

You can't know how many bitcoins that Satoshi has at present.  You could take a fair guess as to how many he generated early before other players jumped into the game, but there is no way for you to know just how many he still has.  He may have been living off of bitcoin sales for a while.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
ribuck
Donator

View Profile
January 16, 2011, 09:54:57 AM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

You can't know how many bitcoins that Satoshi has at present.

Sure, I don't know that. But six months ago he refused a bounty payment from me (for making Bitcoin run without error on Fedora Linux), saying that he had "plenty of bitcoins".

I'll be the first to donate if ever he drops any hint of struggling financially.
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
January 16, 2011, 03:58:58 PM

Satoshi could meet the movers and shakers of the financial and cryptographic worlds while enjoying the beautiful beaches of St. Lucia.

If for some reason Satoshi doesn't want to go, I'm ok to take his place Smiley

I could use some time on the bea... on conferences.

Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1128

View Profile
January 17, 2011, 12:46:38 PM

I'd be willing to make a decent sized contribution to that, assuming Satoshi wanted to of course. The list of papers certainly looks about right for something like BitCoin.

However I agree that Satoshi is probably not wanting to be physically linked to BitCoin, judging from his use of Tor and likely use of a pseudonym. Why don't you go, Hal? You have more experience with cryptography than most of us and it's becoming apparent that the community needs a public face with technical depth and a credible background.
Hal (OP)
VIP

View Profile
January 17, 2011, 06:20:10 PM
Merited by EFS (100), ABCbits (1)

http://lesswrong.com/lw/1ab/dying_outside/

That's my story. Travel is very difficult for me now.

Hal Finney
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
January 17, 2011, 06:40:48 PM

http://lesswrong.com/lw/1ab/dying_outside/

That's my story. Travel is very difficult for me now.
Wow. Sorry to hear that. Here's hoping that new technologies will allow you to move again.

Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1128

View Profile
January 17, 2011, 07:03:39 PM

I'm so sorry Hal! But wow, I have to admire the matter of fact way you analyzed your situation in that post. A true scientist to the end!

Offtopic, but are you by any chance the "Less Wrong" who authored Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality? I recently found this book and have been working through it, it's great!
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
January 17, 2011, 07:29:23 PM

Offtopic, but are you by any chance the "Less Wrong" who authored Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality? I recently found this book and have been working through it, it's great!

That's Eliezer Yudkowsky.

Hal (OP)
VIP

View Profile
January 17, 2011, 07:30:21 PM

No, I didn't have anything to do with that story, I've been assuming the author was Eliezer Yudkowsky, founder of LW. I've been reading it too, very entertaining. Kiba, I'll bet you'd enjoy it.

Hal Finney
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
January 17, 2011, 08:04:14 PM

No, I didn't have anything to do with that story, I've been assuming the author was Eliezer Yudkowsky, founder of LW. I've been reading it too, very entertaining. Kiba, I'll bet you'd enjoy it.

I was reading it too, ya know?

brocktice

Activity: 292
Merit: 250

Apparently I inspired this image.

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2011, 08:37:03 PM

Maybe not the mysterious Satoshi, but what about Gavin? It would be good to have a qualified bitcoin representative there.

http://media.witcoin.com/p/1608/8----This-is-nuts

My #bitcoin-otc ratings: http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=brocktice&sign=ANY&type=RECV

Like my post? Leave me a tip: 15Cgixqno9YzoKNEA2DRFyEAfMH5htssRg
ribuck
Donator

View Profile
January 17, 2011, 10:00:56 PM

Maybe not the mysterious Satoshi, but what about Gavin?
Good suggestion. If Gavin wants to go, I will contribute $100. Can't pay in BTC at this time, sorry.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: