Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 09:13:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ledger Nano S. and Wallets question.  (Read 144 times)
MonkeyBrain (OP)

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 04:49:04 PM

I'm thinking about getting a Nano Ledger s.  At this time all my coins are in Coinbase or Binance and I don't have wallets for them.  Do I need to create wallets for each of my coins first then transfer to Ledger nano or can I just transfer straight from Exchanges to Ledger Nano.
adam1230
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 04:50:40 PM

you can send straight to your ledger nano. no need to create wallets. Make sure that you got the correct address from your wallet for every coin.
for tokens you need only 1 eth wallet address from ledger. thats all
Phil_Bardsley

Activity: 40
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 04:53:01 PM

I'm thinking about getting a Nano Ledger s.  At this time all my coins are in Coinbase or Binance and I don't have wallets for them.  Do I need to create wallets for each of my coins first then transfer to Ledger nano or can I just transfer straight from Exchanges to Ledger Nano.

Be careful as ledger Nano S does NOT support a lot of coins that you will have if you trade through Binance.
Tenten92

Activity: 113

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 04:56:29 PM

Be careful as ledger Nano S does NOT support a lot of coins that you will have if you trade through Binance.
Thank you for your article.  It's right on the question I'm wondering
bug.lady

Activity: 196
Merit: 23

Large scale, green crypto mining ICO

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 04:56:50 PM

Ledger Nano supports only a number of coins. If your coins are supported, that definitely moving them to Ledger is a GREAT idea. They will be much more secure.

Basically, the Ledger (or any hardware wallet) after it has been initiated, lists 24 words for you. You should write them down and keep them secure, because it is your backup and only way to recreate your wallet if broken or lost.

Then you select what coin you use. You may need to install some software on your computer, but whatever the software you use, you will have the same addresses to store founds. Remeber, the addresses do not change whatever software you use. And what you need to do, you simply display the address and send the funds to the address.

Than you can have some other software, on some other computer, and when you connect your ledger you will see the same addresses and the same funds available.

It is really as simple as this.

ccsang

Activity: 910
Merit: 103

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 05:01:11 PM

you need to check ledger support wallet before buy nano s , not all the coin support and it's only can install a few wallet because of nano s memory size , anyway , I prefer to buy hardware wallet and don't store in exchange , Important confirm your wallet address before send to nano s
shirackjs

Activity: 812
Merit: 256

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 05:02:58 PM

Your wallet addresses will be generated once you set up your ledger Nano for the first time. Just send the coins that are supported over.
Phil_Bardsley

Activity: 40
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 05:03:23 PM

You're welcome.

Here is an article which goes into some detail on which are supported;

https://support.ledgerwallet.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005304449-Which-altcoins-and-tokens-are-supported-by-the-Ledger-products-
1NV3ST0NM3

Activity: 420
Merit: 110

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 05:07:05 PM

Ledger Nano is nothing different its just a separate wallet in itself which has its seed stored in physical drive. It has a wallet address of its own so you can directly send your bitcoins from Binance or coinbase or any other address and send it from ledger nano in the same way too.
Tenten92

Activity: 113

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 05:09:19 PM

You're welcome.

Here is an article which goes into some detail on which are supported;

https://support.ledgerwallet.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005304449-Which-altcoins-and-tokens-are-supported-by-the-Ledger-products-
Ok. Thank you.
batang_bitcoin

Activity: 2982
Merit: 600

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 05:10:32 PM

I'm thinking about getting a Nano Ledger s.  At this time all my coins are in Coinbase or Binance and I don't have wallets for them.  
What are these specific coins you have on binance? Since coinbase supports only few coins, 4 to be specific. I'll take a guess that you want to hold these coins for good?
Do I need to create wallets for each of my coins first then transfer to Ledger nano or can I just transfer straight from Exchanges to Ledger Nano.
You can send it straight directly from exchange->nano ledger s but make sure that nano ledger s supports those coins you'll send, read Bardsley given link.

As a warning, don't order your nano ledger s on ebay. Order through their main website www.ledgerwallet.com so that you can avoid the same incident Life Savings Stolen from Second-hand Ledger Hardware Wallet, scammers are truly everywhere.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
MonkeyBrain (OP)

Activity: 48

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 05:16:26 PM

I'm thinking about getting a Nano Ledger s.  At this time all my coins are in Coinbase or Binance and I don't have wallets for them.  
What are these specific coins you have on binance? Since coinbase supports only few coins, 4 to be specific. I'll take a guess that you want to hold these coins for good?
Do I need to create wallets for each of my coins first then transfer to Ledger nano or can I just transfer straight from Exchanges to Ledger Nano.
You can send it straight directly from exchange->nano ledger s but make sure that nano ledger s supports those coins you'll send, read Bardsley given link.

As a warning, don't order your nano ledger s on ebay. Order through their main website www.ledgerwallet.com so that you can avoid the same incident https://cointelegraph.com/news/life-savings-stolen-from-second-hand-ledger-hardware-wallet  scammers are truly everywhere.

I have the four coins from coinbase and 10 from Binance for a total of 14 coins.  It looks like Ledger Nano will only be able to store 7 of the 14.  I guess keeping 7 coins safe is better than leaving it all on the exchange.  I just didn't want to manage so many wallets. I was hoping for a 1 stop shop thing.  I feel like I have 14 world currencies and have to open 14 bank accounts in 14 countries to transfer money between them.  I just need 1 international universal bank to take care of all this  Tongue
cryptosifu

Activity: 378
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 05:26:29 PM

Remember that Ledger does not support all coins and tokens.  Your cryptos on Coinbase are supported but depending on what you own on Binance, it may or may not be supported.  Take a look at the website to see which ones they support and send a small test amount of it first before sending your whole balance. 
Fu.Sin

Activity: 378
Merit: 107

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 05:56:02 PM

I recommend Treszor as a hardware purse. Slightly more expensive, but it is considered more reliable. It is better to order from producers in the Czech Republic.

AGATE  ▄▄▄▄▄▄ Facebook Telegram Twitter Medium   ▄▄▄▄▄▄   AGATE
█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █    PayPal of Cryptocurrencies     █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █
████  Blockchain Protocol + 12 Working Modules - Use Crypto as Cash  ████
batang_bitcoin

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 07:18:35 AM

As a warning, don't order your nano ledger s on ebay. Order through their main website www.ledgerwallet.com so that you can avoid the same incident https://cointelegraph.com/news/life-savings-stolen-from-second-hand-ledger-hardware-wallet  scammers are truly everywhere.

I have the four coins from coinbase and 10 from Binance for a total of 14 coins.  It looks like Ledger Nano will only be able to store 7 of the 14.  I guess keeping 7 coins safe is better than leaving it all on the exchange.  I just didn't want to manage so many wallets. I was hoping for a 1 stop shop thing.  I feel like I have 14 world currencies and have to open 14 bank accounts in 14 countries to transfer money between them.  I just need 1 international universal bank to take care of all this  Tongue
Keeping for good all of those coins that can't be handle by nano ledger s with their respective downloadable wallets is better than storing it on an exchange. Today, we can't have that 1 stop thing or 1 hardware wallet that will cater all cryptocurrencies but if most of those tokens you got are ERC20 tokens that can't be a problem for nano ledger s. But soon, there might be some developers and manufacturers that will make that desirable one stop shop hardware wallet for all.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
▬▬▬▬▬
tushkanych

Merit: 100

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 07:39:03 AM

Keeping for good all of those coins that can't be handle by nano ledger s with their respective downloadable wallets is better than storing it on an exchange. Today, we can't have that 1 stop thing or 1 hardware wallet that will cater all cryptocurrencies but if most of those tokens you got are ERC20 tokens that can't be a problem for nano ledger s. But soon, there might be some developers and manufacturers that will make that desirable one stop shop hardware wallet for all.
That is all the coins I got from the bounty of the companies ( if they have a standard ERC20 ), I can safely send to your Ledger Nano s ? Just I already ordered and want to totally abandon the MEW.
batang_bitcoin

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 09:54:30 AM

That is all the coins I got from the bounty of the companies ( if they have a standard ERC20 ), I can safely send to your Ledger Nano s ? Just I already ordered and want to totally abandon the MEW.
Most of the bounty rewards are made through ETH's smart contract and results as an ERC20 token. Do you mean your nano ledger s? Yes you can safely send it there and keep it for your safety as for this guideline says,
Most of the other Ethereum tokens (ERC20 tokens) can be managed using Ledger Nano S and Ledger Blue with MyEtherWallet only (it won't work with the Ledger Wallet application).
MEW is fine but if you have decided of jumping to nano ledger s, then that's better for safe keeping.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
▬▬▬▬▬
bug.lady

Merit: 23

Large scale, green crypto mining ICO

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 10:56:17 AM

I recommend Treszor as a hardware purse. Slightly more expensive, but it is considered more reliable. It is better to order from producers in the Czech Republic.

can you please back up your claim? I have both of them and I don't notice any difference in terms of their functionality and relibility, maybe only that Electrum wallet didn't want to pair with Ledger in Segwit mode, and it did with Trezor, but I would consider it very minor.

So please share why you are saying that Trezor is more reliable in your view.

wtd93

Activity: 31

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2018, 06:19:31 PM

Recently purchased a nano ledger s and have been very pleased! Will be upgrading the the ldger blue i the near future
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: