Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 07:02:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Warning - escrow EVERYTHING - anatomy of a scam  (Read 200 times)
mikez_nj (OP)

Activity: 38
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 06:46:02 PM

Not just the cost of the miners you purchase. Escrow shipping as well.

A thread like this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2757777.0

Seems normal, and the buyer says he accepts escrow - which he does... but requests shipping charges upfront. He will charge you for shipping per unit, and if you purchase more than one unit, that can add up.

Once you pay the shipping, and tie up your bitcoin in escrow, he moves on and stops responding. If you use a service like EscrowMyBits, your BTC is tied up for 7 days and you pay the 1% escrow fee. Additionally, by locking the thread, he can keep out bad reviews.

Scammers abound, but remember: escrow EVERYTHING. Do not pay ANYTHING up front.
jenia1

Activity: 504
Merit: 267

HashWare - Mining solutions for everyone!

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 08:36:02 PM

the more sophisticated scumbags around here such as antikonti , using a FAKE ESCROW  like here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2410207.0
He claims he is using escrow but he essentially controls a fake escrow email and will pm his newbie victims and scam as much as he can out of them. He claims that the trust system is being abused.. haha don't believe that. and don't fall for his scams

Making mining profitable
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  ANN  Website  Facebook
                                   █████████
                             ███      ████████   █████
               ▄█████████▄   █          ██████   █████  ████  ████  ████   ▄██████▄    ▄██████▄    ████████
       █████  █████  ██████      ███     █████   █████  ████  ████  ████  ████ █████  ████  ████  █████████
█████  █████  █████   █████      ███     █████   █████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████
█████  █████  █████   █████  █    ██     █████   █████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████
████████████  █████   █████  ██    ███████████████████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████████
█████  █████  █████████████  ████    █████████████████  ████  ████  ████  ██████████  █████████▀  ████
█████  █████  █████████████  ██████    ███████   █████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████████    ████
█████  █████  █████   █████       ███   ██████   █████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████ ▀███▄  ████
       █████  █████   █████       ███    █████   █████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████
              █████   █████       ███    █████   █████  ████████████████  ████  ████  ████  ████  █████████
                      █████  █          ██████   █████   ▀█████  █████▀   ████  ████  ████  ████   ████████
                             ███       ███████   █████
                              ▀▀███   ████▀▀▀
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  PM
Contact Us

Mining Farm planning & advising
Equipment supply & transportation
Linking investors & ideas

A.Delaney

Activity: 266
Merit: 13

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 09:28:33 PM

the more sophisticated scumbags around here such as antikonti , using a FAKE ESCROW  like here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2410207.0
He claims he is using escrow but he essentially controls a fake escrow email and will pm his newbie victims and scam as much as he can out of them. He claims that the trust system is being abused.. haha don't believe that. and don't fall for his scams

Why is this scum bags threads not removed by the mods?
P00P135

Activity: 1123
Merit: 136

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 09:59:24 PM

Not just the cost of the miners you purchase. Escrow shipping as well.

A thread like this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2757777.0

Seems normal, and the buyer says he accepts escrow - which he does... but requests shipping charges upfront. He will charge you for shipping per unit, and if you purchase more than one unit, that can add up.

Once you pay the shipping, and tie up your bitcoin in escrow, he moves on and stops responding. If you use a service like EscrowMyBits, your BTC is tied up for 7 days and you pay the 1% escrow fee. Additionally, by locking the thread, he can keep out bad reviews.

Scammers abound, but remember: escrow EVERYTHING. Do not pay ANYTHING up front.

This forum needs a sticky for noobs on how to avoid scams  Cheesy
shaw1

Merit: 297

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 10:08:45 PM

I agree. The only way to get rid of scammers like these, are to starve them out of existence. And that means teaching the new people.

Escrow and trusting no one is the only way to go. Otherwise you're just looking for trouble.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
jenia1

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 10:34:59 PM

Why is this scum bags threads not removed by the mods?

I might be wrong, but i read that bans don't actually happen here- due to the idea of decentralization.
only thing admins can do is red tag someone. and when newbies have no idea how the trust system works and dont even check the feedback of a user, they get scammed.

at the time I pmed some mods to make a sticky here, but never got a reply. perhaps you guys can try that too...

Making mining profitable
                                   █████████
               ▄█████████▄   █          ██████   █████  ████  ████  ████   ▄██████▄    ▄██████▄    ████████
       █████  █████  ██████      ███     █████   █████  ████  ████  ████  ████ █████  ████  ████  █████████
█████  █████  █████   █████      ███     █████   █████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████
█████  █████  █████   █████  █    ██     █████   █████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████
████████████  █████   █████  ██    ███████████████████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████████
█████  █████  █████████████  ████    █████████████████  ████  ████  ████  ██████████  █████████▀  ████
█████  █████  █████████████  ██████    ███████   █████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████████    ████
█████  █████  █████   █████       ███   ██████   █████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████ ▀███▄  ████
       █████  █████   █████       ███    █████   █████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████
              █████   █████       ███    █████   █████  ████████████████  ████  ████  ████  ████  █████████
                      █████  █          ██████   █████   ▀█████  █████▀   ████  ████  ████  ████   ████████
                              ▀▀███   ████▀▀▀
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  PM
Contact Us

mikez_nj (OP)

Activity: 38
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 10:58:00 PM

This forum needs a sticky for noobs on how to avoid scams  Cheesy

It does. I took a shot knowing that I could potentially lose the shipping costs. The guy has the audacity to keep updating the post AS he's actively ripping people off.

My point is that everyone says "escrow" "escrow" "escrow" and you're not really protected unless you escrow it all... and use a reputable 3rd party.
the_electronrancher

Activity: 112
Merit: 4

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 11:09:36 PM

Oh yeah, I started talking to donsim.  He was responsive, but refused to send a pic of more than one miner.  I told him to do better, and he got indignant - another red flag, on top of the super sketchy locked thread.

Anyway, he told me to fuck off eventually which didn't hurt my feelings much.  I wished I had posted to warn you, I sat down to do it but was still thinking he was maybe legit.
jenia1

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 02:02:57 AM

Oh yeah, I started talking to donsim.  He was responsive, but refused to send a pic of more than one miner.  I told him to do better, and he got indignant - another red flag, on top of the super sketchy locked thread.

Anyway, he told me to fuck off eventually which didn't hurt my feelings much.  I wished I had posted to warn you, I sat down to do it but was still thinking he was maybe legit.

locking a thread is already a HUGE warning sign...  plus never ever ever reply to escrow messages coming from Emails. escrows don't use emails, they use the chat system within this forum!

Making mining profitable
                                   █████████
                              ▀▀███   ████▀▀▀
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  PM
Contact Us

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: