Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:18:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bitcoin Report  (Read 9062 times)
NegativeOne (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2011, 02:22:10 AM

Hey everyone!  I'm new here but been following bitcoins for a while, it's very interesting.  I've setup this blog where I'm going to publish interesting and useful stats about bitcoins, starting with a top 100 rich list.  I'm looking for suggestions about what other stats to publish, to let me know your suggestions either PM me here, reply on this thread or leave comments in the blog.  Thanks!

http://bitcoinreport.blogspot.com/

---
1AQEtuKSAgSm3NMz2k1fruGgQS8TCvJkLz

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 16, 2011, 02:25:18 AM
Last edit: January 16, 2011, 02:36:58 AM by creighto

One of the great things about Bitcoin, is that there is no way two reliablely produce a top 100 richest list.

EDIT:  the top 100 richest list you have on your site could all be owned by the same person, or could all be owned by persons who are very far from the top 100.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2011, 03:17:08 AM

One of the great things about Bitcoin, is that there is no way two reliablely produce a top 100 richest list.

EDIT:  the top 100 richest list you have on your site could all be owned by the same person, or could all be owned by persons who are very far from the top 100.

Even though it doesn't mean much I still like it.

Not only could 1 person own many of those addresses. The coins in 1 addresses could be part of mtgox or mybitcoin balances and owned by many people.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Hal
VIP

Activity: 314
Merit: 3853

View Profile
January 16, 2011, 03:17:48 AM

That's interesting, I was just wondering about that the other day, what is the highest balance for a Bitcoin address? 90,000 bitcoins, that's amazing.

Hal Finney
Mahkul

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Every saint has a past. Every sinner has a future.

View Profile
January 16, 2011, 03:38:21 AM

But this only shows the total amount of Bitcoins ever sent to a particular address?

It doesn't seem to be accurate, because I have a specific amount of bitcoins on one of my addresses and it is not on the list (and it should be).
NegativeOne (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2011, 03:44:53 AM

Yes all very true, I should add some notes or links somewhere to make it clearer for those who don't know all the bitcoins ins-and-outs.  I'm wondering as well how this list will change in the next few days, if anyone seeing their address listed will feel the need to split their balances out into smaller amounts and accross several addresses.
NegativeOne (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2011, 03:48:11 AM

But this only shows the total amount of Bitcoins ever sent to a particular address?

It doesn't seem to be accurate, because I have a specific amount of bitcoins on one of my addresses and it is not on the list (and it should be).

Hmmm... how long have you had your balance?  This list was based on a snapshot of data that is approaching being 1 day old, so if your balance is recent it will have been missed.  Also at the time I take the snapshot I ignore the most recent 120 transactions.   Does your balance show correctly on blockexplorer.com?  If you don't mind letting me know your address via PM I'll take a look through my code and see why it got missed.
Mahkul

View Profile
January 16, 2011, 04:02:16 AM

Hmmm... how long have you had your balance?  This list was based on a snapshot of data that is approaching being 1 day old, so if your balance is recent it will have been missed.  Also at the time I take the snapshot I ignore the most recent 120 transactions.   Does your balance show correctly on blockexplorer.com?  If you don't mind letting me know your address via PM I'll take a look through my code and see why it got missed.

Oh, sorry. My balance changed today a few times so this wouldn't be included yet. It's okay - my address is there with an older balance. Sorry for that.
Cryptoman

Activity: 726
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 16, 2011, 06:35:13 AM

ArtForz must have way more than 90,000 by now.

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
January 16, 2011, 09:38:26 AM

ArtForz must have way more than 90,000 by now.
Sure, but ArtForz also has way more than one bitcoin address.

Here's a statistic I'd be interested in (I'm not sure why). What is the earliest block whose generated coins have been spent?
NegativeOne (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2011, 11:12:36 AM

Oh, sorry. My balance changed today a few times so this wouldn't be included yet. It's okay - my address is there with an older balance. Sorry for that.

No worries.  It turns out I did have a bug anyway, there were some transaction types causing me to reset account balances to zero.  The blog post has been updated with the correction.
NegativeOne (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2011, 11:35:21 AM

Here's a statistic I'd be interested in (I'm not sure why). What is the earliest block whose generated coins have been spent?

Good question - here's the answer  http://bitcoinreport.blogspot.com/2011/01/first-bitcoins-ever-spent.html
Mahkul

View Profile
January 16, 2011, 11:44:45 AM

Good question - here's the answer  http://bitcoinreport.blogspot.com/2011/01/first-bitcoins-ever-spent.html
Your work deserves a donation.  Cool
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
January 16, 2011, 02:19:26 PM

Thank you for satisfying my curiosity. I think it's almost certain that such an early block would have been generated by Satoshi. Of course, "spent" is quite a strong term. The coins might just have been sent to a different wallet.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
January 16, 2011, 05:11:11 PM

How about largest wealth by bitcoiners?

Hal
VIP

View Profile
January 16, 2011, 07:04:21 PM

Thank you for satisfying my curiosity. I think it's almost certain that such an early block would have been generated by Satoshi. Of course, "spent" is quite a strong term. The coins might just have been sent to a different wallet.
This was actually a test payment Satoshi sent to me during debugging. I see in my email logs I offered to send it back but it seems I didn't.  Huh  It was an IP-address based payment.

Hal Finney
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12884

View Profile
January 16, 2011, 07:24:46 PM

This was actually a test payment Satoshi sent to me during debugging. I see in my email logs I offered to send it back but it seems I didn't.  Huh  It was an IP-address based payment.

Do you still have that coin? It's probably already worth 300+ BTC in collector value, and this will increase.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Hal
VIP

View Profile
January 16, 2011, 10:33:32 PM

No, it seems I spent it in November, too bad. Of course the client doesn't let us pick which coins to pay with.  I didn't know it was the first transaction until today.

Hal Finney
NegativeOne (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2011, 08:00:39 AM

Your work deserves a donation.  Cool

Thanks!  Grin
NegativeOne (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2011, 11:13:05 AM

The latest rich list is up now http://bitcoinreport.blogspot.com/2011/01/latest-bitcoin-top-100-rich-list.html and there's a new high balance.

I'm working on generating some graphs with some other stats that Gavin Andresen was asking for, hopefully get those posted to the blog today.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: