Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 07:47:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: TV Advertisements  (Read 579 times)
Mike Christ (OP)
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 10:28:26 PM

How effective are they, really?  Out of all the ads I've seen (lately, only on Hulu--fucking Fox plays 3 of them at a time, the rotten bastards), I've never felt compelled to actually buy that new car, or go to Wendy's (unless I already wanted to.)  Of all the purchases I've made in my life, it was born out of an unrelated desire to own those things, not from any advertisement; I don't feel compelled to shop at K-Mart, even though they claim they're better than all the other stores.

Are we simply jaded?  Or is there a hidden effect to advertising?  I can understand a new business which needs to get its name out there, or perhaps a new movie or video game, but what is the reasoning to McDonald's ads?

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2013, 04:51:33 AM

It's called learning to resist propaganda, I'm pretty sure we're all learning it from a young age and don't even realise it now because we get bombarded with it so often, the only time I realised I was throwing all that shit out the window ( Including religion/state propaganda ) was when the 'crazy' people like Ron Paul and George Carlin were talking about it. That and just doing some basic research will tell you that most advertisement is full of shit, some of them advertise horrible products. This will seem ridiculous but I think I first learned properly about propaganda when I was 13 and had to deal with SOE's infamous arrogance with Star Wars Galaxies which was pretty much one of my only forms of escapism from school at the time, that game was awesome.

p.s. LOL Because I use the same global username to allow people to contact me you could still probably find me ranting and arguing on the old games forums with people saying the exact same things I've been saying about the games industry for years, not that I encourage it *cough cough*  Undecided  Grin
pr0d1gy

Activity: 658
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 04:55:14 AM

All Illusion Of Choice...

Set Escrow
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2013, 12:54:02 PM

I think mcdonalds burgers tasted more like carpet last time I tried them Tongue, I also noticed all the major places massively downsized their burgers as well.
raze

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 06:28:27 AM

I'd rather go to the takeaway shop down the road than McDonalds anytime. For the same price you get more quality/quantity, plus chips.

BTC --16FPbgyUZdTm1voAfi26VZ3RH7apTFGaPm
LTC -- Lhd3gmj84BWqx7kQgqUA7gyoogsLeJbCXb
PPC -- PRpKGjgjNLFv8eR7VVv7jBaP8aexDFqk4C
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: