Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 06:36:34 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bad time to get into GPU mining - yes or no? Share your thoughts!  (Read 323 times)
gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 02:22:29 PM

I feel at the beginning POW was a good idea but with difficulty has risen so much and the power to mine coins increased a lot. While we are trying to adept electrical cars and trying to help the world( I am not talking about everyone, some people really don't care), on the other hand we consume so much electricity for mining. Bitcoin mining is using more power than 159 countries. It is crazy. I feel like mining will never die but in the long term, many coins will switch to more environmental friendly algos. In short term still, It is not a good idea to invest mining now. Buying a coin and waiting for increase is a better idea.

gave up on looking for a card. im just going to wait and hopefully can order from nvida

im not paying $1400 for a $600 video card.

1 1080ti makes you 5 dollars a day, and you would need to mine 24 hours a day 7 days a week for like 10 months to get your money back.  you cant mine shit with 1 card you need 2. now what your pushing $2400 to make $10 dollars a day?

then, you have to worry about the exchange robbing you like

hitbtc robs people
like coinshouse.eu robs peoples
like coinsmarket.com robbed people with exit scam
like yobit robbing people.

ect,ect

a miner is at the mercy of the exchange the coin is on, good luck dealing with hitbtc or any of the other scams

I've used HitBtc before without any issues.  Don't mine to an exchange or leave coins on an exchange though.  They should only be on the exchange for a short time while you are selling them.  Any other time, your coins should be in a wallet with a private key that you have in your hands.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
lenoli

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 02:26:07 PM

prices of profitable GPU's are very high, so you need 8-9 monthes for ROI, i think its too long period, so i advice not to buy video cards, but if you already have bought them and you have low energy fee, you can try mining.

good luck and happy mining ...
GizmoOG (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 05:48:17 PM

A lot of different opinions here I see, I enjoy reading them! As I stated in the post I already got my hands on 9 gpu's, so I'm gonna start with that and not buy anymore until things settles. I got the gpu's at a fairly low price so hopefully I'm breaking even in 3-4 months. There are indeed a lot of things that could make the profits decrease drastically, so it is as some of you say pretty much the same as playing lottery. I have a feeling the next generation amd/nvidia is gonna be a HUGE factor on profitability and I might just sell out before that and put my profits into buying those new cards instead. It's gonna be interesting and I can't wait to see how things turn out! Appreciate the feedback Cheesy
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: