Author Topic: delete  (Read 2885 times)
bigbull (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 07:45:22 AM
Last edit: March 15, 2015, 09:50:42 AM by bigbull

delete
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
zoinky

Activity: 811
Merit: 1000

Web Developer

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 07:46:51 AM

People waiting for stamp to creep up before pushing further on gox.  Today will be interesting.
Zaih

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 10:23:40 AM

Why on Earth would it overtake it?..
Ray Anastasio

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 10:48:45 AM

Gox is running out of coins, it might completely decouple from the rest of the bitcoin universe.
Pruden

Activity: 496
Merit: 500

Spanish Bitcoin trader

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 10:51:39 AM

The funny thing is that Bitstamp has nowhere near the liquidity it should given its volume relative to MtGox. Those coins are not going anywhere. Huh
Itcher

Activity: 364
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 11:03:39 AM

on bitcoin.de we had a purchase at 94,99 Euro. This are 127 dollar. Strange. Most ask/bis are around 92 Euro (123 dollar). So btcde is higher than bitstamp, very tiny gap to gox.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 11:28:37 AM

Since it is acknowledged as a currency in Germany, institutional traders start to move now  Wink

oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 12:46:30 PM

I'm pretty happy with bitstamp, but market depth can be terrible there. Had some nice, early trades that should have given me a decent profit ruined by excessive slippage.

Which is surprsing. Looking at the overall volume (say, 30d) bitstamp volume is about half of mtgox, maybe a bit less. However it seems that at any given point, bitstamp market depth is perhaps a quarter or less of mtgox depth. I have no good explanation for that.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
jmumich

Activity: 209

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 02:45:01 PM

Could be part of an overall price increase related to possible expansion of the war in Syria.  Oil and gold are up too over the past couple days, while equities are down. 
marcovaldo

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 02:49:44 PM

Gox is running out of coins, it might completely decouple from the rest of the bitcoin universe.

Gox is running out of everything.

BITEX
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                              ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███

The First Locally-Embedded, Yet Global, Crypto-Bank
TELEGRAM    FACEBOOK   TWITTER    YOUTUBE    LINE

███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███
          ███     ███     ███
        ███     ███     ███
      ███     ███     ███
    ███     ███     ███
  ███     ███     ███
███     ███     ███
  ███     ███     ███
    ███     ███     ███
      ███     ███     ███
        ███     ███     ███
          ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
               ███     ███     ███
                 ███     ███     ███

WHITEPAPER | ANN
JOIN WHITELIST NOW!
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 03:10:21 PM

I'm pretty happy with bitstamp, but market depth can be terrible there. Had some nice, early trades that should have given me a decent profit ruined by excessive slippage.

Which is surprsing. Looking at the overall volume (say, 30d) bitstamp volume is about half of mtgox, maybe a bit less. However it seems that at any given point, bitstamp market depth is perhaps a quarter or less of mtgox depth. I have no good explanation for that.

The Stamp is kind of more of a boutique exchange. Their focus is on simple, easy and good looking. They don't (from what I know) come from a finance background and I'd be scared of them hitting the same issues GOX hit when it comes to getting bigger. Lets leave institutional trading for trade institutions to build.

more or less retired.
Sitarow
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 04:03:10 PM

Since it is acknowledged as a currency in Germany, institutional traders start to move now  Wink

From what is known. A return on a BTC investment in Germany within the first year is taxed at 25% as Capital Gains. If you chose to hold onto the investment for a year then there is 0% Tax on the return.

This is a great way to encourage merchants to accept bitcoin for payment of goods and services and then hold onto them for 1 year before moving the BTC to other forms of currency or investments.

This is also a great way to get the more of the worlds economic BTC activity.

Here is a quote.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http://www.faz.net/aktuell/finanzen/devisen-rohstoffe/digitale-waehrung-deutschland-erkennt-bitcoins-als-privates-geld-an-12535059.html

The Ministry also clarified that if a German taxpayer holds bitcoins for more than a year, she is exempt from paying the 25 percent capital gains tax. Such a tax would ordinarily be paid after profiting from the sale of a stock, bond, or other security. However, taxpayers are now required to pay taxes on any profits made from Bitcoin transactions that happen within a year.

oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 04:42:05 PM

The Stamp is kind of more of a boutique exchange. Their focus is on simple, easy and good looking. They don't (from what I know) come from a finance background and I'd be scared of them hitting the same issues GOX hit when it comes to getting bigger. Lets leave institutional trading for trade institutions to build.

That's not really an answer to the question I raised. Just noticed, a few posts before me, Pruden made a similar point (btw: Pruden = proudhon? Confess!) about liquidity on bitstamp, given its volume.

Fact is, both mtgox and bitstamp come from very, hm, nontraditional backgrounds. Mtgox being a trading card exchange, bitstamp basically writing its own little trading engine, complete with rounding bugs. It's all pretty unprofessional, but it works, for now.

The question is, why is so much more money on the order book of mtgox than that of bitstamp, when their trading volume is getting closer. Or to turn the question around: why is there so much trading volume on bitstamp when the order book is so empty, compared to mtgox.

Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
Itcher

Activity: 364

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 04:48:21 PM

Since it is acknowledged as a currency in Germany, institutional traders start to move now  Wink

From what is known. A return on a BTC investment in Germany within the first year is taxed at 25% as Capital Gains. If you chose to hold onto the investment for a year then there is 0% Tax on the return.

This is a great way to encourage merchants to accept bitcoin for payment of goods and services and then hold onto them for 1 year before moving the BTC to other forms of currency or investments.

Here is a quote.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http://www.faz.net/aktuell/finanzen/devisen-rohstoffe/digitale-waehrung-deutschland-erkennt-bitcoins-als-privates-geld-an-12535059.html

The Ministry also clarified that if a German taxpayer holds bitcoins for more than a year, she is exempt from paying the 25 percent capital gains tax. Such a tax would ordinarily be paid after profiting from the sale of a stock, bond, or other security. However, taxpayers are now required to pay taxes on any profits made from Bitcoin transactions that happen within a year.

I don't know ... there are other ways to get euro, cheaper ways, e. G. btce or happycoins or localbitcoins ... On ebay sellers with high trust status receive higher prices, maybe we see the same on the exchanges. Gox is special, bitstamp is nice to let dollars out, bitcoin.de is a litte bit slow, but very secure resp. riskless. People pay for it, the risk is prized in the course, and maybe this is fine
d5000
Legendary

Activity: 3892
Merit: 6134

Decentralization Maximalist

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 04:50:07 PM

The question is, why is so much more money on the order book of mtgox than that of bitstamp, when their trading volume is getting closer. Or to turn the question around: why is there so much trading volume on bitstamp when the order book is so empty, compared to mtgox.

Perhaps because the Bitstamp interface encourages you to buy/sell with market orders, with a very prominently placed "Instant order" button? Although this would only be relevant if most of the traders there were beginners.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 05:04:14 PM

Perhaps because the Bitstamp interface encourages you to buy/sell with market orders, with a very prominently placed "Instant order" button? Although this would only be relevant if most of the traders there were beginners.

Interesting. Does that mean the "default" on mtgox is limit order?

Not that I think that would account for the gap entirely, but at least in parts, it might.

johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 02:28:28 AM

I noticed that bitstamp have lots of bot orders/market maker orders, like those $200 and $100 orders

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 02:56:45 AM

I have an explanation.  Market making bots are using MtGox API through the huge amount of open source code available.  Show me a ruby gem that covers what I need for the BitStamp API and maybe I'll move over.  Sure, it wouldn't be too hard to do it myself, but I'm a full time student, teaching two classes, and my MtGox bot is still pulling in profits.

Edit: Okay, there is a bitstamp gem available, but still it is not a drop in replacement for what I have running on mtgox, so it will have to wait at least until my next long weekend.  And to be clear, I'm not saying my bot is significant here, but other operators are likely in the same situation.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
geofflosophy

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 03:35:08 AM

Here is a quote.

Encouraging people to hold bitcoins for a year will hurt bitcoin traction as measured by economic activity, no?
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 12:06:52 PM

I have an explanation.  Market making bots are using MtGox API through the huge amount of open source code available.  Show me a ruby gem that covers what I need for the BitStamp API and maybe I'll move over.  Sure, it wouldn't be too hard to do it myself, but I'm a full time student, teaching two classes, and my MtGox bot is still pulling in profits.

Edit: Okay, there is a bitstamp gem available, but still it is not a drop in replacement for what I have running on mtgox, so it will have to wait at least until my next long weekend.  And to be clear, I'm not saying my bot is significant here, but other operators are likely in the same situation.

Guess I don't get it, since I never ran a bot for trading... does your bot place orders well ahead of time (i.e. they become part of the order book)? I alway thought the point of bot trading was to wait until the very last moment, when some price action triggers the bot's condition set, at which point it will place an order, which could be only minutes before the order is executed, so that the money/the btc never really appear on the order book. Can you clarify this for me?

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 02:52:53 PM

Edit: Okay, there is a bitstamp gem available, but still it is not a drop in replacement for what I have running on mtgox, so it will have to wait at least until my next long weekend.  And to be clear, I'm not saying my bot is significant here, but other operators are likely in the same situation.

Guess I don't get it, since I never ran a bot for trading... does your bot place orders well ahead of time (i.e. they become part of the order book)? I alway thought the point of bot trading was to wait until the very last moment, when some price action triggers the bot's condition set, at which point it will place an order, which could be only minutes before the order is executed, so that the money/the btc never really appear on the order book. Can you clarify this for me?

There are different types of bots.  Mine maintains orders on both sides of the book.  In other words, I profit from dampening the swings.  Historically, MtGox has been too laggy for the type of bot you are describing to work well.  It might be better now, but I haven't investigated recently.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: