Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 08:22:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Someone sending out MilliBits  (Read 16356 times)
HELP.org (OP)

Activity: 510
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2013, 01:31:17 PM
Last edit: September 20, 2013, 02:12:35 AM by HELP.org

Certified Bitcoin Professional
Bicoin.me - Bitcoin.me!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Taras
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1053

Please do not PM me loan requests!

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2013, 06:03:16 AM

https://blockchain.info/tx/90087eef265335c807ae2559793913e57321765462a2abcb58027e6751eb58e6
I wonder why they're giving to random addresses like this.
willphase

Activity: 767

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 10:05:20 AM

They are trying to entice the addresses to consolidate the funds, thus proving linkages between addresses in order to defeat pseudonymity.

Before the RNG bug was well known, some people were also using this technique to trying to entice spends from addresses from devices with weak RNG so they can perform a private key disclosure.

Will

coastermonger

Activity: 367
Merit: 250

Find me at Bitrated

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 09:11:58 PM

So what you're saying is, if you suspect someone is enticing you to consolidate funds, you should probably move the funds to an exchange and cash them out and buy back in, or move your bitcoins through a coin mixer before moving them again? 

Bitrated user: Rees.
willphase

Activity: 767

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 09:32:14 PM

So what you're saying is, if you suspect someone is enticing you to consolidate funds, you should probably move the funds to an exchange and cash them out and buy back in, or move your bitcoins through a coin mixer before moving them again? 

or just leave the extra bitcoins in there until you actually want to spend the bitcoins.

Will

Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 09:42:03 PM

They are trying to entice the addresses to consolidate the funds, thus proving linkages between addresses in order to defeat pseudonymity.

Before the RNG bug was well known, some people were also using this technique to trying to entice spends from addresses from devices with weak RNG so they can perform a private key disclosure.

Will
This behavior has been happening since almost the beginning of Bitcoin. This is the conclusion arrived at last time I saw a discussion on it (though it wasn't related to RNG flaw). It's difficult to really determine why it happens, though. AFAIK, they haven't been connected to thefts of coins from people who've ever received them. Other theories are more tin-foil-y.  Smiley
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 04:46:29 PM

..that person is on it again.
Check this out:
https://blockchain.info/address/1FFirnLctcZxVx5otnLNZ4dDGUkMBM4vNr

The outputs are totally random - even satoshidice and deepbit are on the list. Several thousands there, it seems.
Well, thanks for the 10c. Good luck with messing with my vanitygen address. *shrugs*

Ente
vandeam

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 07:43:33 PM

sorry can this be simplified for me  Huh

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 08:36:27 PM

sorry can this be simplified for me  Huh

Tiny amounts of Bitcoin are potentially being used to track who owns which addresses.

Ente
Legendary

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 11:15:55 AM

Also, one scenario could be that people receive (milli)bitcoins and go on send them elsewhere. When you send a transaction out, you publish your (real) public key (which is something different to your public bitcoin address). If the privat+public key pair was created insecurely, the attacker ow knows the public key and might be able to steal all funds from that address.

BUT: Why the heck does the attacker here send millibits to addresses which already did transactions? Where the public key is already published and known?
So, this can't really be the reason.

Analyzing who owns which addresses? Doesn't really make sense, with just a handfull he scraped from bitcointalk and similar.

So, my guess is it's something with tainting other coins.

Ente
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4172
Merit: 8420

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 01:46:54 PM

Users of bitcoind / bitcoin-qt can fight back against this by using Peter Todd's (retep on BCT) dust-b-gone script which will CoinJoin away the dust in your wallet, both cleaning up the blockchain and thwarting any tainting efforts.
auzaar

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 01:45:17 AM

Just putting the source address so that it comes up in search
1FFirnLctcZxVx5otnLNZ4dDGUkMBM4vNr
dddbtc

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 01:54:39 AM

Quote from: rjs
That's generous of you to offer an exchange, but I think they're fine.

Here's the address of the coin with extra BTC on it: https://blockchain.info/address/13EboHof8EoyB3xW4tssrsufhQtaQmymhS - address 1FFirnLctcZxVx5otnLNZ4dDGUkMBM4vNr is being a Bitcoin fairy and sending Bitcoins to a bunch of addresses. That same address previously sent a whole bunch of 1BTC to many, many addresses and then 100BTC to two addresses and 25BTC to one address. My first thought was that was Casascius loading his coins and then doing... something sending a little extra. But spot-checking the 1BTC addresses doesn't show what I would expect in this case, which would be that all those addresses just had one (or two) transactions to them, and they all hold a nice round 1BTC (or 1.001BTC), but that's not really what I'm seeing. A mystery!
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 06:01:45 AM

This is mysterious.  Shocked

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 06:08:03 AM

Very strange.

itod
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1076

^ Will code for Bitcoins

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 11:38:17 AM

Also, one scenario could be that people receive (milli)bitcoins and go on send them elsewhere. When you send a transaction out, you publish your (real) public key (which is something different to your public bitcoin address). If the privat+public key pair was created insecurely, the attacker ow knows the public key and might be able to steal all funds from that address.

BUT: Why the heck does the attacker here send millibits to addresses which already did transactions? Where the public key is already published and known?
So, this can't really be the reason.

Analyzing who owns which addresses? Doesn't really make sense, with just a handfull he scraped from bitcointalk and similar.

Ente

Maybe it's not just the public key, if the receiver sends this dust out to consolidate the wallet he may reveal his real IP address if his peer is listening, getting info for potential attack on the wallet later. I wonder if those addresses that receive dust have:
a) above average amount of BTC in them, meaning not particular BTC address but the wallet that holds that BTC address.
b) local wallet, not web wallet
int03h

Activity: 532
Merit: 104

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 08:45:26 PM

https://blockchain.info/tx/cf2d7091de839cead9d677d6fb050d4278f17bfca3e74cf80198197346ba4a3d

Another round it seems. Thanks Who-Ever-You-Are.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 09:05:17 PM

Will

Exactly. If you keep track of where coins start, and where they end up, you can 'color' the entire transaction tree. Think of a river that runs backwards from the sea. You dump dye in the water at the delta, the mouth, and watch is flow back up track all the estuaries. Not an elegant example, but you get the point. You could track water back to the smallest creek.

Thats whats happening here.

more or less retired.
quone17

Activity: 224
Merit: 104

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2014, 09:35:08 PM

Will

Exactly. If you keep track of where coins start, and where they end up, you can 'color' the entire transaction tree. Think of a river that runs backwards from the sea. You dump dye in the water at the delta, the mouth, and watch is flow back up track all the estuaries. Not an elegant example, but you get the point. You could track water back to the smallest creek.

God bless you for understanding this, because I sure as heck don't.  I thought BTC was anonymous, and I didn't think I was putting myself and my BTC address at risk by sending BTC to another address.  If that's what you're saying, I'm nervous.

Bitcoin Exchange Guide- List of the Top Bitcoin Exchanges, Find Places to Buy, Sell and Trade Bitcoins.
Ente
Legendary

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 10:09:54 PM

Will

God bless you for understanding this, because I sure as heck don't.  I thought BTC was anonymous, and I didn't think I was putting myself and my BTC address at risk by sending BTC to another address.  If that's what you're saying, I'm nervous.

Well, Bitcoin isn't anonymous. It is, however, pseudonymous. That means you can distinguish individual payments, amounts and addresses, just just don't know which address belongs to whom.
With this technique (sending out tiny amounts), as well as a few others, one can figure out which individual addresses belong to the same user and/or wallet. For example, if you receive one dust amount to an "anonymous" address of your wallet, and spend it together with funds from an address you have written in your signature, everyone (who cares to look) knows that the first, "anonymous" address belongs to the user quone.

Not more, not less.

But yes, the public opinion on one hand, and the technical facts on the other hand about anonymity/pseudonymity are a reason to become nervous ;-)

Ente
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: