I heard about bitcoin some weeks ago, read some articles and got interested.
I have some nice little spare hardware on which i want to try mining:http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/content.php?S_ID=470
2GB of RAM and an ATI 4650
Maybe i'll get some bigger hardware later...
I did a basic installation of Debian Squeeze (32bit) without a GUI (just want a dedicated mining machine).
Then i basically followed this guide: http://mlinuxgada.info/content/hack/203
So here is what i did:
- added contrib non-free to my /etc/apt/sources.list
- aptitude update
- aptitude -r install linux-headers-2.6-$(uname -r|sed 's,[^-]*-[^-]*-,,') fglrx-control fglrx-driver (found that on some how to install ATI drivers)
- modprobe -r radeon drm
- aptitude install python-pyopencl subversion (this also installed some nvidia drivers? why?)
- downloaded and unpacked bitcoin: tar xvf bitcoin-0.3.24-linux.tar.gz
- svn checkout http://svn.json-rpc.org/trunk/python-jsonrpc
- cd python-jsonrpc/
- python setup.py install
- cd ..
- mkdir .bitcoin
- echo "rpcuser=myusername" > .bitcoin/bitcoin.conf
- echo "rpcpassword=mypasswd" >> .bitcoin/bitcoin.conf
- aptitude install git
- git clone https://github.com/m0mchil/poclbm.git
- cd poclbm/
- python poclbm.py http://myusername:email@example.com:8332
now i get:
FATAL: Module nvidia not found.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "poclbm.py", line 35, in <module>
platforms = cl.get_platforms()
pyopencl.LogicError: clGetPlatformIDs failed: invalid/unknown error code
Speicherzugriffsfehler (memory access error, yes, i'm german!
so of course there is no nvidia module, there shouldn't be!
But i read somewhere that without the -d option, poclbm.py would ask me on which device to run on. (anyway with -d 0 i get the same error)
so what have i missed?
i hope someone can help me...