Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 04:19:19 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: When is a coin too expensive?  (Read 983 times)
Poink (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 122

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 07:44:59 PM

Just to let this off my chest because of posts chastising people who bought coins at x5 or x10 their ICO.

Honestly, no one knows how much is too much.

BTC for example.  Someone paid 10,000 BTC for 2 pizza in 2010...say those 2 pizza was worth $10, that makes BTC at that point worth $0.001

Using this value, is BTC expensive at;

x10 or   $0.01?
     x100 or   $0.10?
  x1,000 or   $1.00?
x10,000 or $10.00?

We all know the answer now but not when people were buying them at that price (ATH).

Who knows how high; ICX, VEN, NEO, XMR will go?  Are people who buy them at ATH stupid?  I don't think so.

If I believe on a coin, I don't care if it just pumped x10, if I think (and yes I could be mistaken) it will go up more I will buy it.  For me, it happened with XMR, NEO, EMC2, VEN, ICX, PRL, WTC etc.  Not all are success stories, I have my fails but all in all...I am way ahead and who knows, one of them might follow the path of BTC or ETH. Wink

RANT over.
I.Grozni

Activity: 588
Merit: 286

Coinomi multi-coin HD wallet

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 08:22:43 PM

No matter how much the coin is worth $ 0.001 or $ 100 when interest comes down to that coin, and when the community around it starts to fall and the dev team becomes inactive, then it should turn to another coin. I do not think it should be sentimental to any coin. When a coin loses majority support simply needs to move to another coin. Of course, you always need to support a few coins, because not all eggs are kept in the same basket, right?
yinyangwinwang

Activity: 196
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 08:30:12 PM

I personally don't think people who buy tops are stupid because they don't know they are buying the top otherwise they wouldn't. I have made that mistake in the past and I am sure every trader has done so it is a part of learning and growing. A coin is too expensive at the point in which you think it can't rise anymore, up until that point if you think you can make $ then it is priced correctly imho.

DIGITIZECOIN.COM | 25% Bonus for Pre-Sale | Main-Sale April 22 2018
Made In Australia
▬▬▬ ■  WebsiteWhitepaper ■  ANN threadJoin Telegram ▬▬▬
LGD2Business
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1520

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 08:57:22 PM

If overall total marketcap level is same and coin made over 10x or something, volume is low but marketcap number is high I would call it expensive. It's too hard to detect though, you gotta be lucky. Sometimes coins go overprice but you shouldn't see it as missed opportunity. At that point it's all gamble.

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK  
          100%   MULTICHARGER  
burdeN

Activity: 364
Merit: 255

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 09:34:53 PM

Just analyze the market, look at the coin's graphs. I would not recommend buying a coin after a huge rise. It's better to wait until it stabilizes even if you miss some profits, not to loose is always better.
Poink (OP)

Merit: 122

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 09:53:34 PM

Just analyze the market, look at the coin's graphs. I would not recommend buying a coin after a huge rise. It's better to wait until it stabilizes even if you miss some profits, not to loose is always better.

True but the other side is you might left behind further.

Like when BTC, was $90 (it was too expensive) and I bet lots of people waited for it to go back down to $50 and did not buy. Wink   Next they woke up and it is at $300.
green547

Activity: 385
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 10:05:08 PM

Simple advice: Do not ever buy a coin at the all time high, Most important thing in trading is to be patient, thats how you make the money.
mustafayasinsenturk

Activity: 672
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 10:31:48 PM

I totally agree with you, if you believe in blockchain technology and the project you invest in, the price is not important. so I can always buy neo
sunder54

Activity: 182
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 10:46:34 PM

Simple advice: Do not ever buy a coin at the all time high, Most important thing in trading is to be patient, thats how you make the money.
Sir, I want to ask you how long usually you hodl your coins because I'm newbie here and I'm trying to hold. I'm very sad when I'm join on cryptocurrency when the market high and now I'm got a big dip here. Hopefully market can recover again because the support from BTC was break make the other coins drop too.
xenomorphe1

Activity: 798
Merit: 103

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 11:04:02 PM

I totally agree with you. That's how you can make money, else you are certain you are going to lose some money.
slyfox

Merit: 10

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 03:30:10 AM

Just to let this off my chest because of posts chastising people who bought coins at x5 or x10 their ICO.

Honestly, no one knows how much is too much.

BTC for example.  Someone paid 10,000 BTC for 2 pizza in 2010...say those 2 pizza was worth $10, that makes BTC at that point worth $0.001

Using this value, is BTC expensive at;

x10 or   $0.01?
     x100 or   $0.10?
  x1,000 or   $1.00?
x10,000 or $10.00?

We all know the answer now but not when people were buying them at that price (ATH).

Who knows how high; ICX, VEN, NEO, XMR will go?  Are people who buy them at ATH stupid?  I don't think so.

If I believe on a coin, I don't care if it just pumped x10, if I think (and yes I could be mistaken) it will go up more I will buy it.  For me, it happened with XMR, NEO, EMC2, VEN, ICX, PRL, WTC etc.  Not all are success stories, I have my fails but all in all...I am way ahead and who knows, one of them might follow the path of BTC or ETH. Wink

RANT over.
Buying at an all time high is always a bad idea no matter the results you get, if you instead waited until the price went down your profits were higher, how many people bought at the all time high of bitcoin just in December, if they waited they could be getting 3 or 4 times more bitcoin than what they bought, so while buying at an ATH can still give you profit that does not mean it is something that you should do.
xuan87
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 05:22:35 AM

I think that is difficult to say, it depends on the person point of view, and there is no such things as expensive, the value of Bitcoin is determine by the market, once you unable to buy or the value above your expectations then you consider expensive, there are nothing to compare with Bitcoin so it's hard to say when the price is expensive, for me now is already expensive because my Fiat wealth unable to buy 1 btc

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░██████████████████████░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████████████████░░░░
░░░░░░░░░█████████░░░░░░░░░░░████████░░░
░░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████░░
░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████░░
░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████░██████░
░░░░░░░██████░░░░░█░░░░░████████░██████░
░░░░░░░███████░░░███░░░████░░███░██████░
░░░░░░░███████░░██░██░████░░███░░█████░░
░░░░░░░░██████░░██░░█░███░░███░░██████░░
░░░░░░░░░███████░██░█░█░░░███░░██████░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░██████░███░░░███░░░█████░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░██░░████░░░░░░██░░░██████░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░████░░░░░██████░░░█████░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░███░░░█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░██████░░░███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░██████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
▂▂ ▃▃ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ TeraWATT █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▃▃ ▂▂
Global LED Adoption Through Blockchain Technology
≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒『ICO IS LIVE』≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒
WEBSITE』『WHITEPAPER
≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒
TWITTER』『TELEGRAM
Milamol

Activity: 686
Merit: 11

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 06:57:45 AM

Yes, we do not know in the moment of ATH or not. But buying a coin on a process of strong rise is still not good. It's just FOMO syndrome. Competent traders know that on large rise big holders sell; but they buy when the asset is in the base, that is, it is calm.
Therefore, the price is not main, the dynamics of the price is important.

DIAGON  e S p o r t s   ▐ ╹  Global decentralize eSports ecosystem
JAPCNSPNRU   WHITEPAPER  ]     ICO ❱ ❱  ❱ Nov. 12 th
facebook   ◥ TWITTER   ◥ reddit   ────  (❪   B U Y   ❫)  ────
PanGiMoon

Activity: 420

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 07:01:07 AM

People in the hope sometimes buy a coin on the highest prices, thinking that it will continue to rise and without analyzing the graphs. This is a beginner's mistake and learn on it.
Agathai

Activity: 182
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 08:37:41 AM

People in the hope sometimes buy a coin on the highest prices, thinking that it will continue to rise and without analyzing the graphs. This is a beginner's mistake and learn on it.
Yes, I agree with this. I think they have chosen in the subjective sense. This is a mistake. They need to be patient, monitor the market and trend of the coin at the time the value is released in red. This is a good time to invest in a penny, it will be profitable.
zorranco

Activity: 177

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 08:41:15 AM

I usually don't do, but for me it's not wrong to buy tops.

Buuuuuut....when  buying ATHs or near, I think you must be DOUBLE careful, because if it dies the crash can be heavy.
vastmast

Activity: 378

ARIZN - Tokenised Crowdfunding Platform

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 09:07:03 AM

We never know exactly what price will be the highest. If we already knew, we would all be millionaires investors Cheesy  Which price is expensive, which coin does not know how much to win Smiley

______________▂   arizn  ▂______________       ┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓
                             A TOKENISED CROWD FUNDING PLATFORM                                     ◄ ICO: 30% BONUS  ►
Facebook Twitter Youtube Instagram Website Wallet Telegram Whitepaper     ┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛
swissgang

Activity: 462

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2018, 09:13:42 AM

I think your perspective is wrong, it grows by time so $1 is normal as $1000 is but when there is a rapid rise then it would be seen as expensive.

damberg

Activity: 658
Merit: 108

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 09:14:21 AM
Last edit: March 06, 2018, 11:13:41 AM by damberg

You can estimate a mid-term price ceiling simply by looking at coinmarketcap top10 coins. If anybody suppose their favourite coin will make x100 right after the ICO, and it would result in a market cap equal to Ethereum, I would like to bet against him or her  Wink

Good old market capitalization can tell you lots of information. Obviously, If you hold a coin for years, these simple rules does not apply - price potential is hardly to be forecasted.
MV7

Activity: 322
Merit: 107

WPP ENERGY - BACKED ASSET GREEN ENERGY TOKEN

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 09:24:49 AM

I can tell you it's almost never a good idea to buy coins at the ATH, at least in the short term. Even in the long term, you can wait for a dip and buy in at a lower price.

Just look at ICX, it went up to 90k sat, and now it's at 30k. That's a pretty huge loss, if you went in at the ATH.

Have fun holding bags if you keep buying coins at ATH

﹏﹏﹋﹌﹌ WPP ENERGY ﹌﹌﹋﹏﹏
☆═══━┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈━═══☆
≈ WORLD POWER PRODUCTION ≈

【 BACKED ASSET GREEN ENERGY TOKEN 】
☆═━┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈━═☆
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: