Bitcoin Forum
June 30, 2024, 12:43:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: can someone make a coin, to direct the hashing power for something else fooling  (Read 116 times)
Digital Drug Lord (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 12

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 12:54:06 AM

the miners? I was wondering I keep seeing these coins come out, new ones, and since I have only 1 1070 I try to get on the new ones. So a couple times we mine and I dont get many coins and sometimes others complain.

can someone make a coin, then make a pool, pay the miners in their shit coin all the while directing all the hash power somewhere else to collect another coin?

or can they direct the hash power for a DDOS or something?
Agozyen

Activity: 672
Merit: 252

Until the end

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 05:10:52 AM

I guess that is possible but I think it would fall apart very quickly.  Most pools make their stats publicly available so things such as block numbers can be seen on block explorers.  You would be able to track your progress externally and this operation would fall apart very quickly.  Also, there are many legitimate pools out there so any new ones starting up would have a rough time of it. 

So, to answer your question, it may be possible, but complete noobs would be the only ones falling for it and it would fall apart once people realized what was going on.  IMHO it would not be worth it to do this.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: