Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:59:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining shed in the backyard - what do I need to know?  (Read 184 times)
dhouse (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 2

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 10:02:59 PM

I'm running one mining rig in my basement, but am trying to see if I can scale up a bit. I don't really want to do it in the house, and I don't really want to spend the $$$ to rent warehouse space.

(However, if anyone thinks that one of those is the way to go, please tell me!)

So it seems like it might be worth it to buy a shed, and go that way. I am looking for advice only in the practical aspect here: I want to learn how to do this, and I'm not asking for advice about the investment side. I can run the numbers fine, I just am in a bit over my head as far as building stuff.

1. The Shed itself - any recommendations? What materials are best?

2. Electric - Can I just hire an electrician for this? How much cost am I looking at here to get this set up, potentially?

3. Ventilation - This is the part that gets me nervous. I understand the basic concepts here, but when I start thinking about exactly how I would go about doing this, my head spins. Could I do any of this myself? What kinds of intake/outtake fans should I use? What about when it rains or snows? etc etc. The more help and hand-holding in this area, the better.

4. Security issues - it would be in fenced-in backyard, lockable and I could hopefully put a door sensor from my home security system on there. What kind of fire protection would I want here, ideally? Is there anything I'm not thinking of?

What other issues am I not thinking of? I want to keep this as simple as possible.
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Juggar

Activity: 242
Merit: 11

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 10:05:46 PM

Who even thinks about starting up a serious mining operation in a time like this?

You do know profits are way WAY down, right?
dhouse (OP)

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 10:07:58 PM

Who even thinks about starting up a serious mining operation in a time like this?

No I had no idea. jfc.

...I am looking for advice only in the practical aspect here: I want to learn how to do this, and I'm not asking for advice about the investment side. I can run the numbers fine...
dhouse (OP)

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 10:11:02 PM

Maybe we should shut down this whole forum, because profits are way down
xxcsu

Activity: 1498
Merit: 597

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2018, 10:37:40 PM
Last edit: March 19, 2018, 10:50:14 PM by xxcsu

1. The Shed itself - any recommendations? What materials are best?
You can build your shed easy or you can buy a pre built shed
Its really not worth build that shed from Fire-resistant Building Materials

2. Electric - Can I just hire an electrician for this? How much cost am I looking at here to get this set up, potentially?
You definitely need to hire a electrician for this job, you might need to upgrade you home service max amperage, or install second service point, its really depend on what is the max amp you are planning to use in that shed. After the main breaker panel in the shed is connected to the power gird ( power meter)   , you can pull your wiring easy inside the shed, if you know some basic calculation about amps/voltage , how to install breakers into the panel Smiley

3. Ventilation - This is the part that gets me nervous. I understand the basic concepts here, but when I start thinking about exactly how I would go about doing this, my head spins. Could I do any of this myself? What kinds of intake/outtake fans should I use? What about when it rains or snows? etc etc. The more help and hand-holding in this area, the better.
Air circulation is very important, dont even think to use AC units to cooling your rigs ... You probably really dont need fan to push air into the shed , but you need a high cfm industrial fan to pull the warm air out... You should use some kind of air filter ( merv 6 or merv 8 ) in the shed opening, where the fresh air sucked in, keep the dust, pollens out Smiley

4. Security issues - it would be in fenced-in backyard, lockable and I could hopefully put a door sensor from my home security system on there. What kind of fire protection would I want here, ideally? Is there anything I'm not thinking of?
as a fire protection... use the right sized breakers, dont overload your wall plugs, keep the 80% rules when designing your wiring... If you insert a 30 amp circuit breaker to the panel, make sure you are not overloading that circuit .... so use around 24 AMP on a 30 amp circuit breaker Smiley Use metal shelving in the shed, use metal frame for your rigs

What other issues am I not thinking of? I want to keep this as simple as possible.
Use switched pdu's with remote access, so this way you can hard reboot your rigs , use switched, metered pdu's if you want to see the power usage for each rig you are using
Dont use 110-120 Volts ... use 200-240 volts Smiley

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
If you like the answer you got for your question from any member ,
If you find any post useful , informative use the +Merit button.
gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 11:54:28 PM

Me.  I'm running 31 GPU's and planning my next move in terms of expansion.  That doesn't mean I'm going out and buying overpriced gpu's tomorrow, but there is plently to think about and plan for.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
NateDoggETH

Activity: 76
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 20, 2018, 12:39:04 AM

Me.  I'm running 31 GPU's and planning my next move in terms of expansion.  That doesn't mean I'm going out and buying overpriced gpu's tomorrow, but there is plently to think about and plan for.

there is a flood of barely used cards on craigslist right now in my area. if i had the cash on hand i would get a few but i think they will continue to decrease in price making it where when i do want to expand. currently have 33 gpu running. 30 in my backyard shed and 3 inside the house.
gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
March 20, 2018, 01:20:28 AM

there is a flood of barely used cards on craigslist right now in my area. if i had the cash on hand i would get a few but i think they will continue to decrease in price making it where when i do want to expand. currently have 33 gpu running. 30 in my backyard shed and 3 inside the house.

I'm waiting for next gen cards and maybe selling off my 1070ti's in the near future.  Don't really need to sell them to fund the purchase of newer cards, but selling off old gpu's at the right time seems to be part of the game.  I could sell them for $50 more than I paid for them on eBay right now.  Hopefully we'll see an announcement from Nvidia next week.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
Max Likelihood

Activity: 140

View Profile
March 20, 2018, 03:29:45 AM

To OP--might want to check Voskcoin, not sure if he has a vid on his shed but various tidbits. I think the biggested issues would be a 100 amp subpanel, getting the line run out there off your main panel. Might check out prefab kits at Lowes/H Depot; the other thing I would think non-trivial is getting a good concrete slab poured for it. I'm kicking it around myself, but have everything in the basement on 240s with good cooling/ventillation.
shibob

Activity: 672
Merit: 154

Blockchain Evangelist.

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2018, 03:39:27 AM

It's nice to hear about mining shed again. I think you could gain a lot of interesting experiences in the below threads which I followed for a while:

1. 5.5GH ETH Man Mining Shed: I think this is very close to your idea, of course you could find the answers for your concerns here.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2373161.0

2. two threads about Home data center by Yun

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1761303.0

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1806061.0
dhouse (OP)

View Profile
March 20, 2018, 06:59:44 PM

Thanks everyone!!
Pages: [1]
  Print