Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 12:21:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: how does escrow work?  (Read 514 times)
gkm22d (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 12:44:11 AM

I know basically how escrow works, but I don't understand how it would really remove risk.

Say I want to sell an iMac computer. It is worth a fair amount and I am a relative newb on here so somebody is going to want escrow.

So say I sell the iMac for 10 bitcoins. The purchaser sends 10 bitcoins to the escrow service, I send the computer.

The two risks I can't figure out are:
What if instead of sending a computer, I send a box of books?

Buyer tells escrow agent and I don't get bitcoins.

But what if I did send the computer, but the purchaser claims that it was just a box of books? How do I prove otherwise?

What if I send a broken computer, so the purchaser is tricked into signing for it, even after opening it?

What if I send a working computer, but purchaser drops it before funds are released, claims it was broken?

Thanks.
polrpaul

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Love the Bitcoin.

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2013, 12:48:57 AM

Trust in the escrow provider/service is key. There are rules to challenge shipment and product, for example video unboxing to prove that he box contained "books", or whatever.

Trust is all that there is left remaining in trades/sales/barter. May I suggest selling your goods on BitMit.net?

BTC.sx - Leveraged Bitcoin Trading. Simply use Bitcoin to take advantage of a rising or falling Bitcoin price.
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2013, 12:53:00 AM

But what if I did send the computer, but the purchaser claims that it was just a box of books? How do I prove otherwise?
Proof is not needed. You just need to convince the escrow agency that it is more likely that you are telling the truth.

What if I send a broken computer, so the purchaser is tricked into signing for it, even after opening it?
Then the buyer complains that the computer was broken. The escrow company (or an arbiter or whatever) decides who is more credible.

What if I send a working computer, but purchaser drops it before funds are released, claims it was broken?
Same thing. The escrow company weighs the evidence and makes a decision or they employ a private arbitrator or whatever. Is it perfect? No. Does it provide some protection to both parties? Yes.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
gkm22d (OP)

Activity: 28

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 12:56:55 AM

I was actIly planning on trying to sell the stuff on bitmit.net.

So it would be the purchaser's responsibility to video the unboxing? I never thought of that.

Do claims of scams happen a lot with escrow or do people tend to fly pretty straight when escrow is involved?

It just seems like the purchaser has a bit of an advantage, nothing to lose from trying.

Does the ID verification help a lot?
Buster

Activity: 56

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 03:06:47 PM

There is always going to be a risk in selling remotely.
Why not sell in person face-to-face, with cash?
fildza

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Ask me anything if you have any problem

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2013, 03:12:56 PM

There is always going to be a risk in selling remotely.
Why not sell in person face-to-face, with cash?
That better but the problem is we live in different region. So we cant see face to face. So, tp reduce the risk we use escrow. Escrow will hold the money and item. When both alredy transfer to escrow, escrow will transfer the item and money. If each one unable to do that, escrow will return back the money or item. So, it can help to avoid scammer do their scam

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: