Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 07:42:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Allow me to drop some maths (so i can cry my soul out)  (Read 1406 times)
Taugeran (OP)

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

CCNA: There i fixed the internet.

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 02:17:44 AM

History:
    Back at the beginning of 2012 in january, i closed out a 24 month CD at my bank, withdrew the 3500USD and went on to spend it as usual ( I was no money crunch, I just didn't want it tied up any longer by letting it renew). and now I'm continually saddened by my foolishness. I say this because about 6 months prior to that event, I HAD heard of BTC from a MUCH more techie friend than myself and he had told me to buy in. I was interested in the concept but relinquished it.

Point:
    At the time i closed the CD, BTC was ~4USD per coin. Since i had no immediate need for the cash, had i invested it in BTC @ 4USD each, receiving 875 BTC, and sat on it until avalon launched their bulk chip orders and ordered 10K on the first day. I would have 10000 chips now and using Burnin's Bitburner XX OC'ed to 450Mhz, I would be sitting on 4.5TH/s, churning out 4500USD a day at current difficulty.
the Manufacturing cost of ~150USD per board from burnin * (10000/20) = 500*150 = 75000USD. while i dont currently have the money to have them made. im sure burnin and i could have arranged something ( the first x days mining profit are payment)

Conclusion: i whiffed off the easy life, over the next 5 years, i could have expected that theoretical rig to net almost 3million USD in BTC.

Bitfury HW & Habañero : 1.625Th/s
tips/Donations: 1NoS89H3Mr6U5CmP4VwWzU2318JEMxHL1
Come join Coinbase

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 04:21:49 AM

The 'coulda woulda shoulda' approach to investing is always dangerous.  I'm sure many of us wished we had bought bitcoins when the bubble burst from $32 to $2 in late 2011.  I wish I hadn't stopped mining back then, or sold bitcoins in 2011 that were generated on a lowly GPU that at today's price was generating $100 per day.  If only... if only... you'll be much happier abandoning all such thoughts.

Bitcoin is itself an insidious trap.  If your ASIC mines a bitcoin today do you sell it to cover the ASIC's cost and electricity requirements, or do you hold it for another 3 years and hope to get $1k for the bitcoin?  Or wait longer?  In fact, why use bitcoins at all when their value tomorrow is 'guaranteed' to be worth more than today?
bobsag3

Activity: 546

Owner, Minersource.net

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 04:39:19 AM

The 'coulda woulda shoulda' approach to investing is always dangerous.  I'm sure many of us wished we had bought bitcoins when the bubble burst from $32 to $2 in late 2011.  I wish I hadn't stopped mining back then, or sold bitcoins in 2011 that were generated on a lowly GPU that at today's price was generating $100 per day.  If only... if only... you'll be much happier abandoning all such thoughts.

Bitcoin is itself an insidious trap.  If your ASIC mines a bitcoin today do you sell it to cover the ASIC's cost and electricity requirements, or do you hold it for another 3 years and hope to get $1k for the bitcoin?  Or wait longer?  In fact, why use bitcoins at all when their value tomorrow is 'guaranteed' to be worth more than today?
Send some, save some. The smart way.
GigaWave

Activity: 239
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 02:24:36 PM

Doesn't seem like you thought the whole thing through enough. "Bought chips", but don't have money to have them assembled? Wheres the logic in that? Also you bought ASICMiner devices...Didn't think that one through either did you? If you did, you need to do better research next time.

If you continue going all in blindly, be ready to eat more loses, or just cut you loses now and chalk it up as a lesson.

Avalon has burned a lot of customer though, I will say. But with someone shady like that, you have to be ready for the possibility of them screwing you. At least Avalon was honest initially about chip numbers, unlike BFL who have done their best to hide that fact.
Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2198

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2013, 02:26:44 PM

I wanted to start least year with BitCoins, but quit because I hated the loading period of the Blockchain. I could have been a lot richer right now. But whatcha gonna do? Man up and try to earn something!

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW

Advertisements are not endorsed by me.
C10H15N

Activity: 811
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 02:35:42 PM

The 'coulda woulda shoulda' approach to investing is always dangerous.
+1

Truer words have never been spoken.   

Only when the tide goes out do you discover who's been swimming naked. -Warren Buffett
Ferroh

Activity: 111
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 11:47:58 PM

If it makes you feel any better, you ignore the fact that if those chips had arrived then you would not be hashing at the current difficulty, because the current difficulty would be much higher (you wouldn't be the only one to get those chips!), and your return would be much lower.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 03:47:38 AM

The 'coulda woulda shoulda' approach to investing is always dangerous.
+1

Truer words have never been spoken.   

Absolutely. Applies to both ends,  not just buying in.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
C10H15N

Activity: 811
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 05:47:56 AM

At the rate prices are falling, I expect to see bargain bins of ASIC miners at the dollar store in about six weeks.  Wink
If I were to buy an ASIC or fifty for the sake of distributed transaction processing, I would probably use fiat.

Only when the tide goes out do you discover who's been swimming naked. -Warren Buffett
mccoyspace

Activity: 237
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2013, 03:13:07 PM

I've got a good o e for you. I started learning about bitcoin in early 2012. Finally in summer 2012 I decided to get a BFL FPGA rig to try mining. It arrived in late October 2012 and dealing with getting it all set up wasn't a priority. I had other projects going on. The miner SAT IN A BOX until early March of this year when I finally got it going! Oct '12 to March '13 would have been a nice time to have 800mh/s going 24/7.

And I have no one to blame but myself..... Oh well
BFL - CEO

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 03:17:46 PM

I did not invent McDonalds and now I'm poor because of it.

OP is a fucking pussy.  Man up.
bbxx

Activity: 728

cryptoshark

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2013, 09:15:54 PM

I've got a good o e for you. I started learning about bitcoin in early 2012. Finally in summer 2012 I decided to get a BFL FPGA rig to try mining. It arrived in late October 2012 and dealing with getting it all set up wasn't a priority. I had other projects going on. The miner SAT IN A BOX until early March of this year when I finally got it going! Oct '12 to March '13 would have been a nice time to have 800mh/s going 24/7.

And I have no one to blame but myself..... Oh well

You deserve an award, maybe golden butterfly ?

I have lost 75 btc due to greed Wink
600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 10:53:13 PM

i bought 100 coins 2011 just before the bubble, didn´t sell, then mtgox got hacked, account locked,.. i just forgot about this stupid crap, truly ashamed of having thrown real money out a digital window.
march 2013 someone starts talking to me about bitcoin and it takes a while before i recall this japanese scam site where ... and he says mtgox- the biggest exchange - and bitcoin just reached 55,- €.
uhh, more than 5 k € out of nowhere ! i contacted mtgox - the coins were still there! i cashed out immediatley thinking what a lucky day...
then i stared at the chart and saw it rising. looked like it was rising for a longer time... uupps... wtf...  so i bought back and lost 10 btc in the first few moments touching them. then i started reading about it...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: