Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:32:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: google authenticator  (Read 193 times)
Thanhjonhan (OP)

Activity: 406
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2018, 12:44:19 PM

Hi all.I am wanting to buy kucoin,but there are many many neg. Reviews about using google 2 step authentication app ,which i think i have to use to access kucoin platform. Any advice?. Thanks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BenAlexanders

Activity: 23

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 12:51:28 PM

Why would there be negative reviews about GA?
What are you concerned about?
al1n

Activity: 154
Merit: 29

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 01:03:01 PM

do you have some concerns about the kucoin platform, about the coin itself, or about the google authenticator app?
deccarro

Activity: 30
Merit: 6

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 01:04:22 PM

As some researches said already, google is one of the most "watched" organisation by hackers of all types. Maybe this is what is disturbing for authour of this topic.
cry4crypto

Activity: 140
Merit: 35

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 01:05:51 PM

I've no idea why anyone would give Google Authenticator app a negative review. It's perfectly safe to use & this is my go-to solutoin when adding an additional layer of security anywhere where it's available. MUCH safer than 2FA via e-mail or phone which can easily be spoofed. Just install GA and go ahead.
BenAlexanders

Activity: 23

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 01:17:19 PM

As some researches said already, google is one of the most "watched" organisation by hackers of all types. Maybe this is what is disturbing for authour of this topic.

This makes no sense as a reason to avoid the GA app though
kenzawak

Activity: 658
Merit: 851

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 01:19:44 PM

Hi all.I am wanting to buy kucoin,but there are many many neg. Reviews about using google 2 step authentication app ,which i think i have to use to access kucoin platform. Any advice?. Thanks.

Since there is nothing else ,you might as well go with it .Plus you can disable 2FA whenever you want so that's not really a problem.
al1n

Activity: 154
Merit: 29

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 01:20:00 PM

You can use any application (or even make your own) that implements google 2fa protocol if you are concerned about the storage of your 2fa key. It is actually not that hard.
D3Dsec

Activity: 26
Merit: 7

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 01:47:25 PM

There is nothing to be afraid using google authenticator.
Pros:
You can have extra security in your exchange account. Either it is gmail, facebook, faucets as well as wallets.
Cons:
If you lose you phone or you forget you google authenticator codes, you will lose acces in any of your account.
Dudeperfect

Activity: 1190
Merit: 534

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2018, 03:14:10 PM

Well, I think, there might be something wrong in the programming side which might be causing issues while logging in. I don't have any idea about the exchange but I can definitely assure you about Google Authenticator and you don't have to worry about it unless and until you have your phone with you in a working condition. I have been using Google Authenticator since last few months and never had even a single issue while using it and I have enabled Google Authenticator for my almost every online account to make it secure.
Mpamaegbu
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 1208

Once a man, twice a child!

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 03:25:13 PM

OP, the only issue you may have with the GA is if you fail to save the passphrase from the exchange site before synchronising it with the six digits from the GA or when you lose your device and want to deactivate your 2FA. Outside these, the GA is a nice security feature. I use it on most of my online transactions.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
MR2O4

Activity: 76
Merit: 12

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 09:45:13 PM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

The only problems with Google Authenticator are due to people not backing up their authentication seed from websites they are using it on. Whenever you scan in a QR Code to Google Authenticator, you need to take a copy and store somewhere safe (offline) incase you lose your device. Google does not back this up for you, as doing so would be a security risk.

BTCforJoe

Activity: 882
Merit: 976

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2018, 12:51:53 AM

Use Authy for 2FA instead: https://authy.com

Authenticator is perfectly safe to use, but your seeds are not backed up, nor is your authenticator account able to be used across multiple devices. This means that if you lose your device, you will no longer have access to any of your protected accounts, and you will not be able to restore the data from your next device, even if you use a full backup to restore.

Authy can be used anywhere that Authenticator is suggested to be used, and you can retrieve a backup if you ever lose your device.

aardvark15

Activity: 994
Merit: 510

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 01:51:07 AM

I use google authentication for about 3 different sites. It has always worked for me. The only thing I fear is that I could lose my smartphone. In this situation, you should have a printed backup code. Otherwise, you won’t be able to access your account. The good thing about google authentication is that it’s a second level of security to protect your investment.
moonshoot

Activity: 73
Merit: 51

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 03:03:15 AM

You should really have 2FA for every exchange you use. Too many horror stories of hacks, and with crypto there really is very little recourse to recover your coins. I don't have any issue with Google Authenticator and it's used on many popular exchanges other than Kucoin.

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂ ( P H O R E . i o ) ▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
Delivering Blockchain Technology To The Real World
99th

Activity: 196
Merit: 22

Las Vegas

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 05:58:35 AM

Use Google 2 factor authentication regardless of what reviews you see. It is super simple to use and has Google backing it... do you think Google would let the technology be subpar? I use google 2FA for a few exchanges, but when I am allowed to turn it off I do. John Macafee got hacked from using a 2FA - google it and read how it happened and you might decide to stay away from anything that requires you to use it.
MR2O4

Activity: 76
Merit: 12

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 11:50:34 AM

Use Authy for 2FA instead: https://authy.com

Authenticator is perfectly safe to use, but your seeds are not backed up, nor is your authenticator account able to be used across multiple devices. This means that if you lose your device, you will no longer have access to any of your protected accounts, and you will not be able to restore the data from your next device, even if you use a full backup to restore.

Authy can be used anywhere that Authenticator is suggested to be used, and you can retrieve a backup if you ever lose your device.

Authy is more convenient, but less secure as there is potential for hackers etc to get your back up codes.

taeewo

Activity: 392
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 02:06:06 PM

Use Authy as your 2fa, Authy is very easy to recover when you lost your phone and you dont need to be  saving all the private key..
rgbrt

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

DHrJPBSTfSbJAvAVbRXuJ1j8L7XP3uNjdZ

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 04:14:07 PM

There is nothing to worry about GA as it is one of the most advanced feature one can get. If there is something wrong with the website you have to cross check and verify.
IldarW

Activity: 362
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2018, 08:57:51 PM

Google authentificator is the best and secure way to protect your depo at the present time. Very important to save back up code.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: