Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 10:23:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My first mining rig! :O  (Read 231 times)
syrius (OP)

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 02:47:43 PM

Hi guys,

I just started to get the pieces together on my mining case frame, I would like to know first am I missing something? I will start mining with 4 GPUs and see how it goes. Please see images on the URLs below:

https://ibb.co/nreGbw
https://ibb.co/jJtbbw
https://ibb.co/fCj4UG

I haven't received yet my GPUs (should be next week) and sorry for my bad cable management ;/ Please don't bother about that cable near the fan since I removed it. Can I install Windows right away or I should wait for all the GPUs to be plugged in before installing Windows?

Any help and/or suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thanks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
rumpel_tusk

Activity: 171
Merit: 105

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 03:03:45 PM
Merited by ruthbabe (5)

You should spread out your risers more so the GPUs don't dump their heat on each other. As for Windows, plug one GPU DIRECTLY into the PCIe x16 slot on the motherboard and install Windows. You don't want to use the risers until you know the OS is stable and set.

When it comes to connecting the risers to the motherboard, I do one at a time and reboot in between confirming that the OS sees the GPU. This way in case a riser is bad (they are notorious for poor quality), I know which one is causing the issue.
MATTX

Activity: 74
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 03:33:07 PM

use risers of high quality.
keep length of wires as required.
if you can afford use thermal camera not laser thermometer to locate hot areas.
good luck for mining.

DERO: CryptoNote Privacy + Smart Contracts   (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2525508)
Xazax310

Activity: 246
Merit: 24

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 03:43:53 PM

Holy mother of 120mm Fans! that's a good penny spent on those!!! FYI in the future just buy a Box Fan, link below. Save you tons of money and plus it going to cool the whole rig! other than setup looks good, I like what you built there.

https://www.amazon.com/Lasko-3720-Weather-Shield-Performance-Box/dp/B000BOCD1Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1516981361&sr=8-2&keywords=box+fan
ruthbabe

Activity: 966
Merit: 275

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 04:08:58 PM

You should spread out your risers more so the GPUs don't dump their heat on each other. As for Windows, plug one GPU DIRECTLY into the PCIe x16 slot on the motherboard and install Windows. You don't want to use the risers until you know the OS is stable and set.

When it comes to connecting the risers to the motherboard, I do one at a time and reboot in between confirming that the OS sees the GPU. This way in case a riser is bad (they are notorious for poor quality), I know which one is causing the issue.

Well said. Thank you for this post I'll use this as a guide because I am also starting to put up my first mining rig. The open-air rig case (for 6 GPU) I ordered has already arrived and so, I'll start setting it up once I completed all the hardware needed.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Activity: 1484
Merit: 326

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2018, 04:42:39 PM

Hi I just want to start mining altcoin. so look for reffrence miners who have started doing so.
in the photo is the total how much money you spend? and how many results can you get in 1 day or 1 week or 1 month? are you will running your mining rig 24/7 and what coins are you planning to seriously start mining? sorry for asking im a bit curious how miner can get roi with their investment as mining rig.
afrasiyab

Activity: 52

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 04:47:00 PM

how many gpus you are going to use?
Littledragons

Activity: 294
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 04:58:01 PM

Hi I just want to start mining altcoin. so look for reffrence miners who have started doing so.
in the photo is the total how much money you spend? and how many results can you get in 1 day or 1 week or 1 month? are you will running your mining rig 24/7 and what coins are you planning to seriously start mining? sorry for asking im a bit curious how miner can get roi with their investment as mining rig.

The issue with mining and "roi" depends on a ton of things.
If you just want to turn it back into cash, youre better off just buying crypto as mining can be a lot of work if you dont know what you are doing.
Granted it can also be very profitable, but you will have many headaches to get there.

People think of mining in terms of dollars - this is the main issue. If you buy a ETH mining rig and mine 1 eth - you have 1 eth. if you believe in ETH then keep it, if you dont, then sell it for .09 btc either way, you havent lost money because you basically just paid for electricity and your time to get an eth/btc.

1 BTC=1BTC, 1 ETH = 1 ETH.
Once you get into selling it, then you are talkingabout trading which is well beyond the scope of mining in general. Most mine and trade - rock on. But its much like giving trading advice, not many people do it.

So the better question is "define roi" and then come back to your original line of questioning.

OP looks amazing. Thats alot of cooling for one rig, but with that much space it looks like youll probably need it!

T r a x i o n                              TRADE AND EARN DURING PRE-ICO
TRANSITIONS YOU TO A CRYPTO-READY SOCIETY        Pre-Sale starts April 15, 2018
GITHUB     TELEGRAM     MEDIUM     FACEBOOK     TWITTER     REDDIT     YOUTUBE
syrius (OP)

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 05:09:53 PM

I'm surprised by the numbers of replies that I got already! Thanks for your comments and support, very appreciated. I will apply your suggestions :-)

What is the most profitable coin you guys are mining at the moment with your GPUs? According to whattomine.com I see that at the moment it's Zencash, ZClassic or Zcash that would be the most profitable.

Thanks.
rumpel_tusk

Activity: 171
Merit: 105

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 05:17:00 PM

I'm surprised by the numbers of replies that I got already! Thanks for your comments and support, very appreciated. I will apply your suggestions :-)

What is the most profitable coin you guys are mining at the moment with your GPUs? According to whattomine.com I see that at the moment it's Zencash, ZClassic or Zcash that would be the most profitable.

Thanks.

Don't use use whattomine to determine the profitable coin to mine. The coins at the top are already being mined and have insane difficulty and hash power on it. You need to do some speculative mining to determine what will bring in good money. Scour all of the crypto forums, chats, social groups, etc. to watch for new coin launches. If it is interesting and you think it has potential, check to see how many people are mining it and what the difficulty on the network is. If you're early enough, you'll be able to mine a ton of it and get out. When it hits an exchange, watch the price and see if you want to sell. In between your spec mining plays, choose a default coin to mine so you're making money. Some people choose ETH, Sumo, or Nicehash. I do Nicehash in between the spec mining so I am always making money when I have nothing good to mine. This takes a lot of research and some instincts to know what will make you money, and what won't. The more you read launch announcements and mine shitcoins, the better you'll get at finding gems.
syrius (OP)

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 05:33:56 PM

how many gpus you are going to use?

Starting with 4 (just the beginning to see how it goes). I will gradually update it to the max (13 GPUs). If everything goes perfect, I will add more mining rigs after.

Thanks.
ferall

Activity: 672
Merit: 265

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 05:37:51 PM

You should spread out your risers more so the GPUs don't dump their heat on each other.

This ^^

2stout

Activity: 2352
Merit: 585

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 05:50:25 PM

Which sort of GPUs will you be using and PSU?  The reason I ask is that the GPUs you use and how much power you will run them at will factor in on what type of PSU will meet your needs.  I would also recommend 2 PSUs for spread, redundancy, and future expansion.
syrius (OP)

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 06:19:41 PM

Thanks.

Don't use use whattomine to determine the profitable coin to mine. The coins at the top are already being mined and have insane difficulty and hash power on it. You need to do some speculative mining to determine what will bring in good money. Scour all of the crypto forums, chats, social groups, etc. to watch for new coin launches. If it is interesting and you think it has potential, check to see how many people are mining it and what the difficulty on the network is. If you're early enough, you'll be able to mine a ton of it and get out. When it hits an exchange, watch the price and see if you want to sell. In between your spec mining plays, choose a default coin to mine so you're making money. Some people choose ETH, Sumo, or Nicehash. I do Nicehash in between the spec mining so I am always making money when I have nothing good to mine. This takes a lot of research and some instincts to know what will make you money, and what won't. The more you read launch announcements and mine shitcoins, the better you'll get at finding gems.

Thanks for the advice; I just checked and it seems that Zencash would be a better option then nicehash if we look at the profit right now. I will dig my researches in order to maybe if I'm lucky or good enough find a coin with a better profit ratio then Zencash.
syrius (OP)

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 06:34:07 PM

I Spent around 3500$ (GPUs not arrived yet, waiting for my 4 GTX 1070). I should be earning around 13-14$/day with this. Since this is not enough I think, I will soon add more GPUs to the rig for sure. Yes I will be running the rig 24/7 and right now I plan to mine something in the Equihash family, maybe zencash, zcash or zclassic not sure yet.

Don't hesitate to ask my friend ;-)
MrTDHP

Activity: 64

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 06:54:01 PM

Throw away those molex-to-sata adapters which are hanging from the risers.
retard75

Activity: 102
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 07:04:28 PM

Hint (to save nerves and precious time):

If not already done so: for future rigs always use rizers with LED's that indicate proper functioning.

Like these -> https://www.amazon.com/Ubit-Express-Graphics-Extension-Ethereum/dp/B076KLJR2Y/

With the ridiculous high DOA rate among rizers you find the malfunctioning rizer within a blink without disassembling the whole hardware piece by piece.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: