Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:40:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Exchange HACKED, $500,000,000+ of XEM stolen? (Japan)  (Read 276 times)
waorana

Activity: 630
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 04:55:25 PM

This is a very bad news, but the problem of security in this area must become a top priority, first the exchange must enhance their security measures, just so we can all be quieter

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TRexMcStubyArms

Activity: 210
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 05:25:42 PM

I don't get why hackers do this shit.  If we want to destroy the trust of crypto which I'd have to imagine most of them are FOR, why do something as short sighted and selfish as this?  Maybe it was NK? Huh
ulhaq

Activity: 503
Merit: 286

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 06:23:53 PM

I don't get why hackers do this shit.  If we want to destroy the trust of crypto which I'd have to imagine most of them are FOR, why do something as short sighted and selfish as this?  Maybe it was NK? Huh

How naive are you? Hackers don't care about the future or trust of crypto; they care about their profit.

I doubt if the wallet was frozen, all the reports I have seen is that the NEM was already sent to an outside wallet. Was probably an inside job by someone paid off. I doubt if will affect the long-term price of NEM. BTC has experienced many hacks in the past and the price declines have always been temporary.
xnightly

Activity: 66
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 06:28:05 PM

No way that they can block the hacker's wallet. it's definitely already transferred to an external wallet controlled by nobody by the hacker. and if it was "frozen", talk about decentralization, am i right?
Piterg

Activity: 420
Merit: 15

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 06:29:48 PM

I also heard the news from the Japanese exchange Coincheck raised $ 600 million in the currency of XEM. They say that they may not have been taken, but it can be seen that they were taken away. The price of the token sagged on these news, it is possible that in an attempt to merge the stolen rate can drop for a while. In this case, it will be a good reason to buy a token at the bottom.
sylance

Activity: 392
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 07:46:08 PM

I was just about to post a question as to why crypto exchanges get hacked all the time but banks don't.  Then I googled and yes they get hacked all the time but I guess the media loves to cover these on a global scale more than banks.  Either way... that's a huge sum of money.

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord    ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion
TRexMcStubyArms

Activity: 210
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 12:31:09 AM

I don't get why hackers do this shit.  If we want to destroy the trust of crypto which I'd have to imagine most of them are FOR, why do something as short sighted and selfish as this?  Maybe it was NK? Huh

How naive are you? Hackers don't care about the future or trust of crypto; they care about their profit.

I doubt if the wallet was frozen, all the reports I have seen is that the NEM was already sent to an outside wallet. Was probably an inside job by someone paid off. I doubt if will affect the long-term price of NEM. BTC has experienced many hacks in the past and the price declines have always been temporary.

I'm not naive; it's a duh that even intelligent people can be selfish assholes.  It's stupid as hell and annoying when the overall digital community is pushing for mainstream adoption and this happens, especially from people who must be fairly intelligent.  It's completely counter intuitive and shortsighted to screw something up like this.  
billmotley

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 05:10:01 AM
Last edit: January 28, 2018, 05:33:55 AM by billmotley

Wha?... Oh.

"Coincheck has reported the likely inappropriate transfer of $532 mln worth of XEM to the Financial Services Authority and the Police..."

If this were true, no problem... the FSA and the Police would simply reverse the transfers.

Another C student is producing headlines.
cryptocue

Activity: 252
Merit: 13

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 05:39:23 AM

So this might be a problem for those who has this coin,the coin continously dropped its price from the moment this news were released leaving most of the investors behind.This is why i dont really trust any exchanges to be my wallet because anything can happen,especially when you are holding large amount of BTCs the perfect place to hold your coins would still be in hardwallets.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: