I'm trying to learn PHP by myself with help from my brother who is still learning too and I wanted to know if people would be interested in a site that lets you guess the next (or future?) difficulty for bitcoin generation.
What i was thinking is
- A profile page to view your previous guesses
- A page to view who got the closest(the difficulty goes right to the decimal, so that be interesting)
- Guessing closes ~1 week before it changes
- Guess at for any point in time, still closes 1 week before(guess waaaaay early and still was closest of all? you're a prediction god)
- No BTC at stake, if you bet on the side, whatever, do that
- Winner gets: Pride
- a statistic page, has like page views, guesses, usercount, maybe browser stats(all this maybe)
What I'm looking to figure out on the server-side
- A crude way of loging in and setting a cookie
- file writing and reading, sorting, etc, etc.
- user/password managing, figuring out how to use a salt and such and hashing them(I know nothing of security, so I will make that clear with giant text "USE A STUPID PASSWORD!!! I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING"
- Maybe a way to change your password(still trying to think how i'll do user number
- Database or SQL? ha, i'll figure that out some other time, for now TEXT FILE ALL THE THINGS
- Other do-dads
- EDIT: Maybe Who's line is it anyways? "point bets" "where the bets don't matter, that's right, the bets are as real as Joan River's face.
All you need is to make a username and pass. No address, no email, nothing. Patience too, this will be buggier than timon and pumbaa.
host it on the server godaddy gave me for free with the domain purchase(it has ads that i can't remove) OR on this tiny little server I have here at home(no ads).
How's that sound for any idea?