Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:07:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Any harm in registering airdrops with email address?  (Read 252 times)
Silkybit (OP)

Activity: 80
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 10:05:03 PM

I have been wondering if it's really safe giving out emails on airdrop forms. Can anyone let me know this?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
juicyjanet88

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

MFG Token Sale - 1st of January

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 10:07:57 PM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

I have been wondering if it's really safe giving out emails on airdrop forms. Can anyone let me know this?

It shouldn't be a problem, other than of course forfeiting your personal information. The smartest thing to do would be to create an email purely to use for such things where you do not worry if you are spammed. Of course caution should always be taken when online in terms of having strong passwords that are updated regularly and are different for every account you have.

mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 3830

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 10:36:39 PM

It's pretty safe. The only downside is they will probably send you a lot of sort of newsletters and promotions and such. And they MIGHT sell your email address to companies looking to send out some advertisements. You can unsubscribe to those ads, but yea they can be pretty annoying.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
eagleman

Activity: 1190
Merit: 504

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 11:34:09 PM

Nothing will happen not unless you'll give even your password and private keys. No need to worry about but this is the annoying return of it
The only downside is they will probably send you a lot of sort of newsletters and promotions and such. And they MIGHT sell your email address to companies looking to send out some advertisements.
Be careful too there are some reports that airdrops are asking for your private keys so don't be fooled just for that cheap rewards.
D3Dsec

Activity: 26
Merit: 7

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 03:04:35 AM

There is actually no harm but it will be very annoying because you will always receive notifications coming from the airdrops you've signed in. If you don't want that to happen, create an alternative email address that is only intended for airdrop and any other bounties. In additiion, it is not recommended to fill those forms with your true credential it may be a subjective for account selling if you signed up on a wrong form or a scam project.
P5YCH0x

Activity: 17

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 05:04:37 AM

Nope, the risk is the same as signing up for anything else with your email. The worst that could happen is that they send you emails.
99th

Activity: 196
Merit: 22

Las Vegas

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 05:51:56 AM

Well you can always make a second email address just for airdrops, but with that being said I understand your question. I actually do use my real email for many airdrops and I can tell you that maybe 1 out of every 20 form submissions I get spammed because they probably were a scam and sold my info as well as sold everyone else's that signed up. It is a risk you take when doing airdrops. Considering you can make quite a lot of money I would say the reward is worth the risk.
iamwhitewave

Activity: 82

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 05:53:36 AM

I don't use emails connected to my bank account.
I guess, it would be smart to create a secondary (and another) email address for airdrops.
Muhammad zen

Activity: 45

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 06:09:00 AM

yes it is very safe if you provide your email address unless you provide the password and have to be careful
Opurum

Activity: 306
Merit: 102

Just another random pre satoshi crypto freak

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 06:33:01 AM

The danger is most airdrops these days are scam. Some are only interested in harvesting your personal data either to spanm your email in the future or sell it for profit, some others will definitely send phising links to your email and scoope away your coins if you fall victim.One precaution you can take is to create a seperate email and dedicate it to airdrops and never carry out any serious transactions or communications on such email addresses.
ggokidok

Activity: 11

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 06:52:32 AM

create email only for airdrops. separate email address from personal and business emails.
Thirdspace

Activity: 1232
Merit: 738

Mixing reinvented for your privacy | chipmixer.com

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 06:52:57 AM

pretty safe and to be even safer, create/use a new email for all airdop entries you will make
problems you will be getting when exposing your email address: spam and phishing attempt
make sure you never open any url link from any email you received in that email inbox
and even if that email is compromised, you should be safe and lose nothing in value
as long as you don't use that email for any financial services such as exchanges, bank accounts or others

khufuking

Activity: 840
Merit: 266

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 07:03:32 AM

Depends on the airdrop you will join , But based on couple of them , I got a lot of phishing emails to hack my MEW , And all this emails sent after I started to enter my email in couple of airdrops . If you will be careful with this kind of emails , You should be fine .
CryptoRyuzaki

Activity: 51

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2018, 07:10:02 AM

It is recommended to use a different email address for registering/use for air drops. Don't use your personal email, else at one point or other you will be getting lot of spam/promotional emails.
Toucanoe

Activity: 25

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 07:13:09 AM

Nothing except your email will be filled with annoying spams and newsletter from the airdrop admin. As long as your not giving any sensitive information like your pass key or password it'll be okay.
Mpamaegbu
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 1208

Once a man, twice a child!

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 08:50:52 AM
Last edit: January 27, 2018, 09:04:31 AM by Mpamaegbu

Yes, it is safe. It is through the email that the site can relay information to you. However, just make sure while filling out any form for an airdrop, just be careful not to put in the password to your email address for forms that do make provision for that. Yes, you are likely going to get bombarded from time to time after the airdrop. As for any downside apart from the above, no there isn't any I know of.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Veritus101

Activity: 271
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 11:51:22 AM

The most harm that you can get is spam. An additional mail just for airdrops solves the problem
taeewo

Activity: 392
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 02:00:41 PM

I dont think there is any issue but the problem is that you must avoid clicking any link send to your email as it may be a phising mail that will steal your password....

Better still, you can create new email for airdrop and bounty...
Silkybit (OP)

Activity: 80

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 09:07:13 PM

Thanks to you all for your answers, I will have to create a new mail for the new airdrop🙋
darkangel11
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1345

Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 09:17:21 PM

The danger is most airdrops these days are scam. Some are only interested in harvesting your personal data either to spanm your email in the future or sell it for profit, some others will definitely send phising links to your email and scoope away your coins if you fall victim.
These days meaning when? This month? Because last month we had a number of decent airdrops, mostly due to multiple BTC forks.
I don't consider aidrops riski in any way, you just have to make sure you're using a clean machine and a clean email and you'll be fine. Treat it as an investment. Buy a cheap PC that will be impossible to hack, prone to malware and once you claim the airdrop move it to an exchange account and don't access it with the compromised machine you were using to claim your coins.

The main risk comes from accessing sites and downloading software provided by devs. If you do all that on a machine that doesn't have any sensitive data and can be formatted at will, you're not risking anything.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████████████████████████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███