Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 04:24:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Airdrop or Fork asking Private keys  (Read 179 times)
fairy_fries (OP)

Activity: 357
Merit: 100

CRYPTO ENTHUSIAST : Airdrop & Bounty Hunter

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2018, 02:42:42 AM

I'm just wondering if it is safe those who are giving free coins asking for private keys, and saying that it is safe they don't store it?
The usual sample is asking you your ETH balance, then a certain coins balance, and it will generate how much coins you will get based on your ETH and a specified coin balances. Then they will ask for your Private keys.

I just passed by all this coz I don't want to compromise my wallet for few tokens.
HashFace

Activity: 406
Merit: 114

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 02:52:29 AM

Never, ever, ever enter your private key into a website asking for it.  There is absolutely no reason why you would have to use your private key for an airdrop.

When claiming a Fork, you do have to use your private key, but there are safe ways to do it.  Any website asking for your private keys for a fork is scam.  

The safest way to claim a fork is to first move your coins out of the wallet where your private keys are being exposed, then download a community vetted, open source wallet from Github to claim the forked coins.  The only fork wallets I trust right now are the official Bitcoin Cash and Bitcoin Gold wallets.  All the others, IMO, are risky.
iamTom123

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 03:01:14 AM

I'm just wondering if it is safe those who are giving free coins asking for private keys, and saying that it is safe they don't store it? The usual sample is asking you your ETH balance, then a certain coins balance, and it will generate how much coins you will get based on your ETH and a specified coin balances. Then they will ask for your Private keys. I just passed by all this coz I don't want to compromise my wallet for few tokens.

By the very word 'private' we should understand that it must never be shared. The other address is the public key and that can be shared to anyone anywhere. Anyone asking you to share your private key to your wallet is fooling you and is actually a scammer. Don't ever trust anyone with this strategy promising that it won't be kept. I have been a victim of phishing and I know what I am talking about. There are now so many hackers, phishers, scammers around because they know that what they are doing can be so lucrative once they can get victims into their traps. Be careful in dealing with anyone anytime.
kdn

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 03:03:09 AM

Can you provide link to such a page asking for your private key?
lsd400

Activity: 189
Merit: 12

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 03:06:45 AM

No forks, airdrops do need your private keys. Never give your private keys to anyone you will lose all your coins/tokens. It's like giving your house keys to thief. Only scam airdrops would ask for private keys.
zzHQzz

Activity: 47

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 03:08:55 AM

never ever enter private key anywhere

gotta say, these scam sites are starting to look not only similar but actually 80-90% like the real ones. Maybe they will become even better then the real ones at some point  Cheesy
choychifung

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 03:09:20 AM

Never, give your Private keys to anyone on any conditions. That's why it's called Private  Keys.

SafeKeet ICO: A new cryptocurrency for a Simple, Smart & Secure digital safe deposit box
—————— ■  ICO SALE FEBRUARY 1, 2018  ■ ——————
WhitepaperBitcointalk ANNTelegramTwitterFacebookLinkedIn
Salsalyn

Activity: 14
Merit: 2

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 03:14:57 AM
Merited by ace4549 (2)

I'm just wondering if it is safe those who are giving free coins asking for private keys, and saying that it is safe they don't store it?
The usual sample is asking you your ETH balance, then a certain coins balance, and it will generate how much coins you will get based on your ETH and a specified coin balances. Then they will ask for your Private keys.

I just passed by all this coz I don't want to compromise my wallet for few tokens.
You did the right thing,do not risk your private keys to these suspicous airdrops most of them will ask for you to transfer your eth to their wallet of ask for your keys.And if you do that thats the end for you,these people will do their best to get your keys so they can easily transfer your funds to their own wallet.
Duzenn

Activity: 252
Merit: 10

The Experience Layer of the Decentralized Internet

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 03:23:33 AM

Attention please!!!
Don't give your private key to fill in to any website, this is quite unsafe, if you need to get a fork, so please put your BTC is transferred to another address, and then fill in the private key.

nascrypto

Activity: 64

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 01:52:25 AM

I came through one airdrop where they asked for private key and later they told that it was a typo for public key. But, still if one loses the private key he/she loses the account.
nndep3m

Activity: 140
Merit: 13

First Payment Gateway using GoldBacked cryptocurre

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 02:04:51 AM

As others have already stated, you should never enter your private key anywhere other than the official MyEtherWallet site for ETH, and even then you should bookmark the site to make sure you're not on a fake/phishing one.

Many fake airdrops will use some amazing and convincing excuse as to why they need your private key, but you must always remember that no matter what, it is never required. Everything that needs to be done can be done with just your public key - the private key is only for transferring funds within your account.

Jonsnowstark

Activity: 364
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 02:05:17 AM

Private keys are called private for a reason. Never give them out to anyone. They are yours for keeping. If you give them out publicly it also means you are giving other people access to your money. Its just like in atm cards or fdebit cards, you must keep safe your pin or else there's a danger of your money being hacked. Be careful with airdrops, there are lots of scams.

satria33

Activity: 812
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 02:12:09 AM

Some of them are asking for a private key and if they ask it never to be notified to them, just give your money for free. They are lazy people who want to get rich quick.
yesiam6

Activity: 1036
Merit: 520

1KoMmKPMG6xaWcqB8CPP3WJ8avRSVRHtP2

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 02:14:57 AM

Don't ever give out your private keys, i don't really know if you're talking about these scam emails / Slack / telegram messages that have been going around
or just general. You will need to use your private key(s) though to claim forks and even with legit projects you should always empty your wallet before you enter your private key into
the (official) wallet software. For example Bitcore (btx) a BTC fork explicitly tells it's users to empty their wallets before putting in the private key as a simple security measure

___   __    ______     
/__/\ /__/\ /_____/\   
\::\_\\  \ \\:::_ \ \   
 \:. `-\  \ \\:\ \ \ \ 
  \:. _    \ \\:\ \ \ \
   \. \`-\  \ \\:\_\ \ \
    \__\/ \__\/ \_____\/
dirgayeah

Activity: 868
Merit: 103

*Indonesian Professional Translator and BM*

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2018, 02:25:26 AM

come on dude. don't be tricky anymore with this scam method.
never give your private key with anyone. just be a smart.
because now a days many people are take an interest to cryptocurrency.
and scammer all growth every day , and made much new trick for scamming people.

EZ365TM        REVOLUTIONARY DIGITAL ASSET ECOSYSTEM 
WHITEPAPER INVESTOR pitch   |   Telegram   |  Twitter   |   Facebook   |
[   PLAY      TRADE      LEARN   ]
jrbone

Activity: 518
Merit: 265

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2018, 02:59:06 AM

Only scammers ask for a private key from your wallet as a requirement to follow airdrop. You give away your private key means you will lose your money. If you have done that (have given your private key), I suggest you to and must create a new wallet.

#BITCOIN ----$--- #WAVES ---$--- #ETH
Endikadija

Activity: 1458
Merit: 509

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 03:19:37 AM

I came through one airdrop where they asked for private key and later they told that it was a typo for public key. But, still if one loses the private key he/she loses the account.
Sure, the private key can't be changed that means those are putting their private key to such scam site already confirmed to lost all of their funds in their wallet.  The private key is a sensitive part.
That's why so many scammers are using phishing method to scam or steal other's private key. Be careful with your private key.
VackFromOhm

Activity: 234
Merit: 100

It's turtles all the way down!

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 03:26:35 AM

Never give away your private keys! One of the key points of the anti-intuitive anonymity of cryptocurrency is that all balances and transactions are public. If they want to verify that you are truly the owner of the wallet, usually you do a very very small amount of crypto sent to an address (literally cents) and that's proof enough. There's no good reason to ever give someone your private key.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: