Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 03:24:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Could 51% attack really happen?  (Read 102 times)
alexwolf011 (OP)

Activity: 75
Merit: 1

Miner, Trader

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 05:32:09 AM

I have seen many words related to 51% attack but I never knew which coin does really suffer it.

If someone really starts 51% attack, he/she will need huge hashpower and is hard to make profit?

So, is anyone know which coin ever suffers 51% attack?

For now, there are so many coins having very low hashrate. They are really in danger?

For example, infinitecoin (IFC) is an old coin and only has less 10Mh/s net hashrate (one L3 has 504Mh/s).

QUANTUM 1NET • QUANTUM HACKING IS COMING. ARE YOU READY? • QUANTUM 1NET  (https://quantum1net.com/)
coins4commies

Activity: 952
Merit: 175

@cryptocommies

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 05:37:51 AM

I like to imagine movie-like scenarios where this could happen.  It could play out a lot of ways.

1. A bane-style attack to strong-arm a large-scale mining operation (or even cloud computing facility) and redirect it to a 51% attack on a coin. 

2. a virus that damages the hardware of opposing mines, reducing hash power required to reach 51.

3. a coordinated effort by a large online group of people  (like anonymous) to gang up and 51 a certain coin.

4. In the future, instead of wars being fought over gold or oil, wars are fought over computing power.  Primary bombing targets would include the largest mining operations. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: