Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:27:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best router for Mining Rig?  (Read 302 times)
geekcryptogal (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 2

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 07:59:54 AM

I need to update my outdated 100 mbps router as my internet speed is now 180 mbps.  I need to get a gigabit lan/wan/wifi router.

Any in particular you recommend?  Perhaps the least latency?  I'd like a router that has ability to install custom router firmware on it at a later date if I decide:  e.g. dd-wrt or tomato.

Thanks Smiley
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
puwaha

Activity: 700
Merit: 294

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 06:32:21 PM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

Modern off-the-shelf routers are generally equivalent in their WAN performance... just get one with a 1Gb/s WAN interface.  If you are worried about how these routers will affect your wired mining performance... then don't.  Your only deciding factor will be wireless performance, which you shouldn't be mining on a wireless connection anyway.

So, the short answer is pick the router that works best for your desired wireless performance.  If you must have dd-wrt or tomato compatibility, those distros have some suggested hardware lists.

I run my own linux distro as a router/firewall on a virtual machine.  I'm partial to IPFire.  Then I have a decent wireless router downstream with the DHCP server turned off to provide wireless to the home.  This effectively makes the wireless appliance a wireless switch.
MagicSmoker

Activity: 420
Merit: 182

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 06:40:54 PM

I need to update my outdated 100 mbps router as my internet speed is now 180 mbps.  I need to get a gigabit lan/wan/wifi router.

Any in particular you recommend?  Perhaps the least latency?  I'd like a router that has ability to install custom router firmware on it at a later date if I decide:  e.g. dd-wrt or tomato.

Thanks Smiley

Latency isn't really an issue with the cheapest wifi routers, but having to reboot frequently can be. I ran dd-wrt on my previous Netgear router, but my current Linksys model still has the factory firmware (note that I haven't tried to install anything different, however).

iwosh

Activity: 280
Merit: 103

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 06:42:50 PM

Thanks Smiley

any off the shelf router works fine for crypto mining. why would you need custom fw?
geekcryptogal (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 2

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 09:14:31 PM

Modern off-the-shelf routers are generally equivalent in their WAN performance... just get one with a 1Gb/s WAN interface.  If you are worried about how these routers will affect your wired mining performance... then don't.  Your only deciding factor will be wireless performance, which you shouldn't be mining on a wireless connection anyway.

So, the short answer is pick the router that works best for your desired wireless performance.  If you must have dd-wrt or tomato compatibility, those distros have some suggested hardware lists.

I run my own linux distro as a router/firewall on a virtual machine.  I'm partial to IPFire.  Then I have a decent wireless router downstream with the DHCP server turned off to provide wireless to the home.  This effectively makes the wireless appliance a wireless switch.

What do you think of the Ubquiti Edgerouter X?  $50-60.  I heard it comes with a 100 page manual with tons of configuration options.  WOndering if I could just use that for LAN/WAN and have my existing WIFI router turned into a switch like you have.
Kapz786

Activity: 697
Merit: 503

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 09:23:36 PM

What do you think of the Ubquiti Edgerouter X?  $50-60.  I heard it comes with a 100 page manual with tons of configuration options.  WOndering if I could just use that for LAN/WAN and have my existing WIFI router turned into a switch like you have.

Edgerouters are fantastic - my whole home wifi/lan network is Ubiquiti and I cant fault them always new firmware updates and they are priced really well. You don't need to configure much to get it working but if you want to customize a few things its not too hard.
McCryptoface

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 19, 2019, 02:36:49 PM

Yeah, it's not an easy choice as i was struggling even to setup a router for my home network. If it wasn't for router-reset i guess i wouldn't ever figure out how to do it. So, when i was establishing my first mining rig, i've got a hure Asus router with full service support for it and it works just fine for now.
BTC22

Activity: 322
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 20, 2019, 01:40:38 AM

If you want a rock solid with super performance router, get a netgear nighthawk.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
February 20, 2019, 08:03:49 AM

My advice would be to use the cheapest wired router you can find instead of using a wifi connection.

I've had nothing but issues with wifi connections on mining rigs. If you have 1 rig then it might be fine but if you got multiple rigs and they are close together they will get interference issues and cause drops in the connection. And if you are running Claymore software usually a dead internet connection sometimes can lead to a system locking up completely.

So if wires running around your place isn't an issue just use the standard CAT5 ethernet connection and call it a day.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
socks435
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1030

Privacy is always important

View Profile
February 20, 2019, 08:29:33 AM

Not good if you use wifi as your source of internet for your mining rigs and I am sure you will get unstable ping with this.

Much better to use wired routers like the Gigabit from D-Link it's cheaper compared to wifi routers and you can get the maximum and stable ping in your internet source.

If you don't know what it looks like you can check this link below
https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/85276788-0015-4953-B096-D15956E56702?ingress=0&visitId=a08fbc20-240b-45b0-a8d6-12ffa4d9c529&lp_slot=auto-sparkle-hsa-tetris&store_ref=SB_A03350161XIH4ZFFAGNOC

It's a good choice because it has 8 ports so you can put 8 rigs in a single router.

Solving blocks can't be solved without my rigs.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: