Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 04:53:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: If you deny that BTC will rise to seven figures, then which of the following will happen?
Fiat currencies will remain viable indefinitely. - 44 (26.3%)
Gold and silver will be commonly used as media of exchange once more. - 9 (5.4%)
Another cryptocurrency will have a market capitalization in the trillions of USD. - 9 (5.4%)
BTC will rise, but not to seven figures, and together with several other cryptocurrencies, have a a market capitalization in the trillions of USD. - 96 (57.5%)
Other (you must explain in the thread, or else your vote will be deemed invalid) - 9 (5.4%)
Total Voters: 167

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Those who deny that BTC will rise to seven figures: clearly explain yourselves  (Read 8182 times)
minarchist (OP)

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 05:33:04 PM

I have noticed that the bears on this board have a habit of simply asserting doom and gloom, and generally refusing to back it up in detail.  I have decided to focus on the macro level issue of where Bitcoin will ultimately go, and place the burden squarely on you.  If you deny that Bitcoin will have a market capitalization in the trillions of USD, then pick one of the five poll options.

adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2013, 05:36:12 PM

can you add an option for those of us that Believe.  Cheesy

telemaco

Activity: 371
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 05:40:07 PM

The third mystery of fatima is getting closer and so we won't reach seven figures.
Bitobsessed

Activity: 291

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 05:43:17 PM

can you add an option for those of us that Believe.  Cheesy
I was looking for this too.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 05:58:34 PM

BECOZ INTRINZIK VAL-U  Grin

Vires in numeris
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2013, 06:01:32 PM

All of the above are possible, arguably with the exception of fiat lasting forever.

I'm actually not a "denier" (gosh don't we sound so cultish?) in that I'm about as bullish as they come. But I consider the downside risk very real - one key reason why we're not trading in four, five or six figures already - and it is not beyond conceivability that a new cryptocurrency could take over bitcoin. However, it seems fairly unlikely at this juncture, as whatever protocol/efficiency/scalability/etc. improvements this new altcoin might provide can be implemented in Bitcoin.

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
minarchist (OP)

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 06:04:07 PM

The poll question specifically addresses those who do not believe.
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2013, 06:07:18 PM

Fair enough: strike my vote out if you wish, for I'm no bear. Smiley

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
Bitobsessed

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 06:07:42 PM

It was more of a free bump than anything because I would like to know too.
telemaco

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 06:11:05 PM

It does not matter:

There will be a 51% attack at a certain time in the future after the the asic centralization and the difficulty is huge and all the bitcoins assigned in the first 3 years of bitcoin will be deemed invalid.
The NWO will decide that all the money before that period and the satoshi risk is enough reason to fork the protocol and change the private key of all the <3 years, right before they joined the game.
They will probably add "two or three" other "small" changes "not that important".

They will compensate first bitcoin adventurers with a statue of satoshi in a detroit square.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2013, 06:13:03 PM

It does not matter:

There will be a 51% attack at a certain time in the future after the the asic centralization and the difficulty is huge and all the bitcoins assigned in the first 3 years of bitcoin will be deemed invalid.

lol what?

Chainsaw

Activity: 625
Merit: 501

x

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 06:14:18 PM

The missing qualifier to this train of thought is - in today's money.

My hand-calculations got me close enough to accept/use the infamous $300,000 rpietila estimate as a long term value. But that estimate relies on two unknowns:
-The future growth in the number of accepted and used cryptocurrencies.
-The inflation relative to today's value of fiat dollars.

Net global worth is relatively fixed, so we're really discussing what percentage of global net worth will ultimately end up in Bitcoin.
Things get fuzzy when the question-asker(s) don't specify/don't know whether they mean Bitcoin or all cryptocurrencies, or today-money or future-value-money.

minarchist (OP)

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 06:15:09 PM

It does not matter:

Who will conduct this attack?
telemaco

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 06:18:12 PM

It does not matter:

lol what?

The NWO will decide that all the money before that period and the satoshi risk is enough reason to fork the protocol and change the private key of all the <3 years, right before they joined the game.
They will probably add "two or three" other "small" changes "not that important".

They will compensate first bitcoin adventurers with a statue of satoshi in a detroit square.
xxjs

Activity: 280

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 06:55:58 PM

The missing qualifier to this train of thought is - in today's money.

My hand-calculations got me close enough to accept/use the infamous $300,000 rpietila estimate as a long term value. But that estimate relies on two unknowns:
-The future growth in the number of accepted and used cryptocurrencies.
-The inflation relative to today's value of fiat dollars.

Net global worth is relatively fixed, so we're really discussing what percentage of global net worth will ultimately end up in Bitcoin.
Things get fuzzy when the question-asker(s) don't specify/don't know whether they mean Bitcoin or all cryptocurrencies, or today-money or future-value-money.

Here is my take:

The value of the bitcoin supply will be the sum of the holding preferences of all users. With holding preference I mean what value some person would like to have available as cash, measured in real good. For instance the value of one house plus the value of one car. Anything really, that was just an example.

But it is not so easy as dividing that by 21 million. It has to be adjusted for credit. In the fiat system, credit accounts for the major part of the money supply. But again, credit in bitcoin might be less, since it is possible to not deposit into banks, and remote payments can be done without deposit accounts.

derpinheimer
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 07:01:24 PM

Bitcoin goes to 0.001USD

Another Crypto goes in to at least 5 digits.

Chalkbot
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 07:04:13 PM

I chose "other" for the same reason we don't keep track of the exchange rate of puka shells to the dollar.
Bitobsessed

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 07:36:23 PM

It does not matter:

lol what?

They can fork it all they want.  It does not deem previous bitcoins invalid LOL.  It is only as useful as the people that will use it.  They could become useless and valueless but not invalid on the current fork that "WE" want to use.  See where I am going with this, the community decides on which fork to use, not the NWO...
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2013, 07:37:23 PM

It does not matter:

lol what?

They can fork it all they want.  It does not deem previous bitcoins invalid LOL.  It is only as useful as the people that will use it.  They could become useless and valueless but not invalid on the current fork that "WE" want to use.  See where I am going with this, the community decides on which fork to use, not the NWO...

WE are the NWO  Cool

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2013, 07:43:16 PM

I don't have to explain myself.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: