Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 04:07:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: An exchange recommendation for a newbie please  (Read 225 times)
kit1971 (OP)

Activity: 27
Merit: 4

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 12:10:23 PM
Merited by Setanta68 (1)

Hello, new to crypto and bitcointalk so apologies if this has been asked before.

What exchange would you recommend for someone new and why please ?

I live in europe.
midvoc

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 12:20:18 PM

There are a few to choose from to be honest - the first one I started with was Bittrex. It has loads of coins to choose from and is fairly easy to navigate and use. Binance is one I have used as well that is quite good. They use googles 2FA system where you can have a code generate on your mobile/cell phone and this adds an extra security layer for you.

Stay away from bitgrail atm - withdrawals on hold I believe.

Hope this helps mate and good luck Wink
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 12:55:03 PM

There are a few to choose from to be honest - the first one I started with was Bittrex. It has loads of coins to choose from and is fairly easy to navigate and use. Binance is one I have used as well that is quite good. They use googles 2FA system where you can have a code generate on your mobile/cell phone and this adds an extra security layer for you.

Neither of those exchanges are good for people who are *extremely* new to crypto -- you can't buy bitcoin on them, which is what the OP is asking i think.

Hello, new to crypto and bitcointalk so apologies if this has been asked before.

I live in europe.

If you're an absolute newbie, and haven't bought crypto ever before, i'd advise you to use an exchange like Coinbase, fees are pretty high but the process is pretty straightforward.

If you're a bit more experienced and don't want to pay a heck amount of fees, use something along the lines of Bitstamp

taeewo

Activity: 392
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 01:52:09 PM

I live in europe.
Try coinexchange mercatox yobit or cryptopia and also when you want to invest consider investing on Arcblock
Setanta68

Activity: 93
Merit: 16

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 02:18:04 PM

Coinbase if you just want buy Bitcoin, Litecoin, Etherium or Bitcoincash with real money.

If you want to buy altcions buy Etherium on coinbase and send it to an account you set up at Bittrex.(Ether has low transaction fees). Bittrex has a vast amount of Altcoins and is user friendly.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck !!
Sowik

Activity: 532
Merit: 327

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 02:21:23 PM

Depends which coin you want to buy. When you go on CoinMarketCap and choose a coin you can click on "Markets" and see where you can trade this coin.
Bryan_12

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 03:48:03 PM

As it says "adolfinwolf" the best of your options as a rookie is coinbase that offers a very simple platform, the costs are quite high and this is the reason why many decide not to take it, but there are also other options with platforms You can also take poloniex, forget about Bitstamp.
kit1971 (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 02:20:21 PM
Merited by Setanta68 (1)

Thanks all for the responses. I went with Coinbase and Bittrex. As a newbie I have found both of them to be easy enough to navigate and use. If and when I become more accustomed to crypto I may expand to other exchanges.
elevenyellow

Activity: 13

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 04:25:06 PM

I agree that to being with Bittrex and Coinbase are good choices, but if you ever move to owning your own private keys, you could also try exchanging in a non-custodial exchange like Switchain.
aardvark15

Activity: 1008
Merit: 510

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 09:02:47 PM

I live in europe.

For someone in Europe, Bitfinex is pretty good in my opinion. I used it before but they stopped allowing US customers, so I had to transfer my coins. I currently use mostly Binance which seems good also. Those are two of the major ones and are probably my favorites although I don’t officially endorse any exchange and you still need to be cautious will all exchanges.
testyourinvest

Activity: 34

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2018, 09:26:55 PM

im a big fan of Binance as you dont have to verify with ID up to 2BTC a day.
The link is to a guide that helped me a lot when i faced an exchange for the first time and had no clue how to operate the site.
Else i could recommend Poloniex , but they require you to upload an ID which i strongly dislike.
GiseleGarnet

Activity: 26

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 12:58:34 AM

Kraken seems to well work if you're in Europe. ID verification can be a pain though and the site is unreachable a lot due to high traffic so not the best place right now if you want to trade on short notice.
electricblueeyes

Activity: 33
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 01:24:04 AM

Thanks all for the responses. I went with Coinbase and Bittrex. As a newbie I have found both of them to be easy enough to navigate and use. If and when I become more accustomed to crypto I may expand to other exchanges.

Good choices. I mostly use both of them myself.  Bittrex is a wise selection for someone new to crypto - easy to use and has a vast selection of coins. Good luck to you !!
kit1971 (OP)

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 01:32:06 AM

Good choices. I mostly use both of them myself.  Bittrex is a wise selection for someone new to crypto - easy to use and has a vast selection of coins. Good luck to you !!

Yes and with all those choices in Bittrex comes more headaches, particularly when the market is falling. But saying that, maybe i just entered at the perfect time Wink
Rulelies

Activity: 277
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 01:43:50 AM

Several ICOs have exchanges that they are on. Most ICOs join Etherdelta first then they going, Yobit, HBTc, cryptopia etc. Some coins are only in one exchange. So recommending a particular exchange is not the best just use which ever exchange the coin is on. That way you will be safe and remember not to store your coins on these exchanges. Keep them in your wallet.

Oikos.cash      Decentralized Finance on Tron   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   Collateral-backed stable-coins
     github  ◥ telegram   ◥ twitter   ◥ discord             synthetic asset trading 
                             ❱❱❱   JOIN OIKOS   ❰❰❰                     trustless token exchange 
imteaz

Activity: 532
Merit: 107

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2018, 04:38:21 AM

If you are new, and want to navigate an easy exchanges, i would suggest Bittrex, but if you want a second option, then go with Binance, both are top quality exchanges with huge volume and 100+ coin to choose from. If you want to trade only top coin with few other choices then Bitfinex also good but they offer only around 25 different coins.

contraz

Activity: 3

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 06:23:35 AM

I use binance and kraken myself, the former has a wide choice of coins available and kraken is quite useful for depositing fiat currency without having to use coinbase. Different coins are on different exchanges so it depends. Source: I am a newbie as well (eu) Smiley
glowing10

Activity: 812
Merit: 142

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 09:20:47 AM

I use binance and kraken myself, the former has a wide choice of coins available and kraken is quite useful for depositing fiat currency without having to use coinbase. Different coins are on different exchanges so it depends. Source: I am a newbie as well (eu) Smiley

Binance is better if you already have btc or eth coins and then can easily buy/sell from this exchange. Also their registration is a simple process and can easily start investing or trading from this exchange. Also they do bot have kyc formalities if you are withdrawing till less than 2 btc.
Daveeoff

Activity: 611
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 12:49:59 PM

Just go on CoinMarketCap and check on which exchanges the coin you want to buy is listed on.
hias

Activity: 30
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 01:37:53 PM

Neither of those exchanges are good for people who are *extremely* new to crypto -- you can't buy bitcoin on them, which is what the OP is asking i think.

I live in europe.

If you're an absolute newbie, and haven't bought crypto ever before, i'd advise you to use an exchange like Coinbase, fees are pretty high but the process is pretty straightforward.

If you're a bit more experienced and don't want to pay a heck amount of fees, use something along the lines of Bitstamp

As you mention you are from Europe I support the suggestion of Bitstamp. They are quite long in the business already learned there lessons of being attacked.
Only downside the don't offer many trading pairs.

https://deeponion.org/apply.php?ref=1767990
DeepOnion - Tor Integrated - 100% Anonymous
===> Join DeepOnion Team NOW! <===
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: