Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 03:15:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Golden Revolver (Apocalypse themed book funding) Now with rewards! PREVIEW!!  (Read 834 times)
CoolEv1 (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 08:24:04 PM

Grin Hi its me again and I'm back with funding for my *Fixed* book The Golden Revolver  Grin

So as I said i now have rewards for how much (if you decide to) fund me! Same deal as last time drop me a pm with bitcoin address how much you sent me and what you want to be called (And if you send 1.00 BTC send your postal code or zip code and I will mail you the books ).
But first let me say that I am a 13 year old Canadian who always spell checks and listens to criticism no matter what kind!

PREVIEW OF BOOK
So you may first want to read a preview of the book, So for you I set up a bitbin paste!
http://bitbin.it/X6uCrxnT

REWARDS

0.50 BTC
Your name on the credits of the book!

1.00 BTC
You get two first print copies of the book and one signed copy of the book!

2.00 BTC
You get five signed first print copies of the book! And a secret note!

Send me bitcoins to address 1G54PX6LzyiPUJNtGP69RNccCi9TaYebUZ and thank you for reading it means alot! ALSO I PROMISE YOU THIS IS NOT A SCAM!!
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 09:08:59 AM
Last edit: August 29, 2013, 01:02:13 PM by b!z

“How could this happen? Man, we're possibly the last 3 sane people on earth,” said Trax, a young man the age of 14.

You're going to have to work on your 'spell checks' a bit more. Hell, even I am bad at this.
CoolEv1 (OP)

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 11:27:14 AM

It was only a draft copy i'm still working on it... All those errors will be fixed
I promise but thanks for pointing that out!  Grin
marcovaldo

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 11:37:04 AM

ALSO I PROMISE YOU THIS IS NOT A SCAM!!

And how? It looks suspicious if you say so.
Can you give more information, because I think that if I send you something I won't get anything back

BITEX
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                              ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███

The First Locally-Embedded, Yet Global, Crypto-Bank
TELEGRAM    FACEBOOK   TWITTER    YOUTUBE    LINE

███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███
          ███     ███     ███
        ███     ███     ███
      ███     ███     ███
    ███     ███     ███
  ███     ███     ███
███     ███     ███
  ███     ███     ███
    ███     ███     ███
      ███     ███     ███
        ███     ███     ███
          ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
               ███     ███     ███
                 ███     ███     ███

WHITEPAPER | ANN
JOIN WHITELIST NOW!
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3276
Merit: 4111

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 11:37:41 AM

Have you considered trying to raise funds on a Bitcoin kickstarter site? You may find more interest in this kind of thing there.
You said you always spell check and take criticise well. But, you have made a number of mistakes within the "draft". Before, anyone takes any interest you would need to be professional and create a draft which is perfect spelling and layout.

Have you got any past experience of writing books?
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 12:32:39 PM

I'm going to give you very honest criticism; it's for your own good, and if it doesn't sting, it's because you're not taking it seriously.

Your writing is awful; even if it were grammatically correct (and it's not; you have random oddities everywhere, from quotes replacing apostrophes, to misuse of dialogue, and commonly mistaken words such as we're and were, there and their and they're etc.), the storytelling is bland and the characters are extremely stiff.  Chapter one should be much, much longer than a single page (and though there are moments where a chapter can be very short, this isn't one of them.)

Generally speaking, your very first draft should be completely free of these grammatical errors; if you find that this is too difficult, you're not yet ready to start a novel, and should focus solely on technical ability.  For example, when using dialogue, you should instead do it in this way:

“How could this happen?  Man, we're possibly the last three sane people on Earth,” said Trax, a young man the age of fourteen.

Specifically in regards to dialogue, you always want your dialogue and the tag to be in the same sentence; do not place a period at the very end of dialogue, for this implies a new sentence is beginning.  Furthermore, you should always place new dialogue on a new line, like so:

"Hello," called the man.  "Is there anyone out there?"
"Nobody but us chickens," said a lying rooster.

Because the man continued speaking, no new line was necessary; however, once the rooster started speaking, we needed a new line to indicate someone else was talking.  This is very import to prevent people from getting confused as to who said what.

Next, I want to point out the use of numbers; for stylistic reasons, and in most cases, numbers should always be spelled out; it's easier to read that way, and simply looks aesthetically better.  Large numbers, of course, would look much better as numbers.  But what's most troubling is your inability to properly use punctuation, especially commas; if you don't understand commas, you won't understand colons or semicolons, nor long dashes.  This makes it very difficult to read, and just as difficult to take seriously.  It's rare that people want to read a book written by a 13 year old, not just because of the lack of experience, but due to your inexperience with life itself; it's hard to care about what is going through the mind of a kid.

By the time you're 18, you likely still won't be ready to write a novel.  What matters right now is that you're trying; as I said, focus only on mastering the English language before attempting the novel, or even a short story, because you'll only wind up frustrated, even if you manage over 60k words, that people won't like what you've created.  Right now is not the time to ask for donations to complete your book; I do not recommend attempting kickstarter, nor do I believe you should do so simply to make me eat my words.  You're not ready to write a novel; believe me, it's hard work.  It took me a little under a year to complete my first novel, written when I was about 20 years old, including all the revisions I went through and found every time I read the thing over and over, of all the things I changed and had to change more things to fit what I changed.  I started that novel with a complete understanding of the English language, and still had trouble.  Which is why I say to you, don't give up, but don't expect people to purchase your book before you have the ability to write one grammatically correct chapter.

To conclude this criticism, I'm going to include a few revisions to your writing to give you an idea of where you need to be.

After about 15 minutes of searching, Sasha yelled out, excitingly “I found something!,” her face shoved in a pile metal.
Following fifteen minutes of searching, Sasha yelled, with her face in a pile metal, "I found something!”

“ThEy WeRe My Deaar.” said a creepy voice from the shadows.
“They were, my dear,” said a hoarse voice from the shadows.

Alternatively, you could write this one as simply, "They were, my dear." without any dialogue tag, on its own line, to imply it was said but it is unknown who said it.  Also, "creepy" is subjective; I don't know what you mean by creepy.  Instead, use a strong adjective; I've included hoarse, as that's how I imagine a creepy voice might sound.

“I DON'T THINK SO!”
Never use all-caps.

Sasha leaded
Sasha led.

Gron immediately headed for the revolver
We know already that Gron immediately did something, because you're telling us now; immediately is almost never necessary, and a proper verb will always do the trick to imply immediacy; instead, you might say, Gron lunged for the revolver, or Gron raced for the revolver, or Gron dove for the revolver.  For that matter, adverbs are almost always a bad idea, for there's always a verb which adequately describes what you're trying to say; don't go pulling Tom Swifties.

b!z
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 01:04:12 PM

You really seem to know your stuff, Mike Christ Roll Eyes
monbux
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2013, 02:08:14 PM

2 chapters and your asking for hundreds of dollars?  I can see why this is in the newbies section, I guess you're a new author, Who is going to read your books???  Do you have any other published books?  If not, don't give him the bitcoins, very little people are going to actually read the book lol

But what caught there their eyes the most was the Twinkies  You don't have a very high level of writing for an author.  Sorry, but Your writing is less than average middle school level to me.
CoolEv1 (OP)

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 01:58:20 PM

I guess no one wants my book so goodbye then I'll just continue to write it as a hobby and hopefully one day I will get it out there. Thanks for the support.
Sincerely,
     CoolEv1
marcovaldo

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 01:59:04 PM

I guess no one wants my book so goodbye then I'll just continue to write it as a hobby and hopefully one day I will get it out there. Thanks for the support.
Sincerely,
     CoolEv1

Best of luck; hope you did not take it too badly Sad

BITEX
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                              ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███

The First Locally-Embedded, Yet Global, Crypto-Bank
TELEGRAM    FACEBOOK   TWITTER    YOUTUBE    LINE

███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███
          ███     ███     ███
        ███     ███     ███
      ███     ███     ███
    ███     ███     ███
  ███     ███     ███
███     ███     ███
  ███     ███     ███
    ███     ███     ███
      ███     ███     ███
        ███     ███     ███
          ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
               ███     ███     ███
                 ███     ███     ███

WHITEPAPER | ANN
JOIN WHITELIST NOW!
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3276
Merit: 4111

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 02:20:58 PM

I'm kind of glad Mr Christ was honest. I don't like to put people down when they want to try and be someone. But, I couldn't of put it like Mike Christ did, he gave reasons why and how to improve. Hopefully the OP can take this under his belt and proceed and work on it harder.
monbux
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2013, 02:53:59 PM

Sincerely,
     CoolEv1

It's hard to face the truth Wink  Good Luck.
b!z
Legendary

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 03:24:01 PM

I'm kind of glad Mr Christ was honest. I don't like to put people down when they want to try and be someone. But, I couldn't of put it like Mike Christ did, he gave reasons why and how to improve. Hopefully the OP can take this under his belt and proceed and work on it harder.

*have.

Fixed that for you.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: