Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:51:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Less Wrong  (Read 2408 times)
kiba (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
January 16, 2011, 05:09:34 PM

Anybody read lesswrong.org?

I myself is still a newbie on this whole rationality thing.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Hal
VIP

Activity: 314
Merit: 3853

View Profile
January 16, 2011, 11:43:41 PM

I read it off and on, and I've met several of the people involved. Yet another way to Change the World. Wei Dai is active there sometimes, one of the godfathers of Bitcoin.

Hal Finney
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
January 17, 2011, 12:48:21 AM

Anybody read lesswrong.org?

Thanks for letting me know about this site.

I've just read the article about Simpson's paradox.  I didn't know about it, but it confirmed my feelings about medecine making poor use of statistics as a inference tool.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2011, 05:27:16 AM

Hadn't been there, the Simpson's paradox article is good, I'll read more.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2012, 11:23:40 PM

Apologies for practicing the dark arts of necromancy, but this had to be said.

Let's just put it this way. A person who reads LessWrong with some regularity is not the same as a person who doesn't. There really isn't any other site like it.

Anecdotally, LessWrong is how I learned about Bitcoin, and Wei Dai, whose b-money proposal was an inspiration to Bitcoin, is a top contributor.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
Jon
Donator

Activity: 98
Merit: 12

No Gods; No Masters; Only You

View Profile
February 24, 2012, 04:18:07 AM

It interested me at first -- then I found it underwhelming.

To me it screams aspergers and obsessions with the details. Sure, sound logic is good but it's not worth obsessing about -- to me at least.

Rationality stems from accounting for the following: Reality only exists within the individual human perception. Humans are independent actors subject to evolutionary and cultural forces.

Everything else will follow accordingly. Everything less wrong covers stems from that. Human systems are complex but as a whole aren't that difficult to comprehend from core principles.

The Communists say, equal labour entitles man to equal enjoyment. No, equal labour does not entitle you to it, but equal enjoyment alone entitles you to equal enjoyment. Enjoy, then you are entitled to enjoyment. But, if you have laboured and let the enjoyment be taken from you, then – ‘it serves you right.’ If you take the enjoyment, it is your right.
Jon
Donator

Activity: 98
Merit: 12

No Gods; No Masters; Only You

View Profile
February 24, 2012, 04:26:18 AM

http://lesswrong.com/lw/oi/mind_projection_fallacy/

This article for instance just screams pedantry. We have Mr. Smartass here criticizing casual art on the basis that it isn't likely that an alien species could desire the female form in the first place.

To me, this is just socially retarded. As I said, the whole thing screams aspergers. I don't find anything pleasurable about questioning crap like this with no real utility in the end. They even have politics banned from what I've heard.

In a nutshell, it's a circlejerk of pedants.

The Communists say, equal labour entitles man to equal enjoyment. No, equal labour does not entitle you to it, but equal enjoyment alone entitles you to equal enjoyment. Enjoy, then you are entitled to enjoyment. But, if you have laboured and let the enjoyment be taken from you, then – ‘it serves you right.’ If you take the enjoyment, it is your right.
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2012, 05:42:50 AM

To me it screams aspergers and obsessions with the details. Sure, sound logic is good but it's not worth obsessing about -- to me at least.
It's worth being careful with your logic when any mistake can drastically alter the conclusions you make.

It's not a secret that the LW community leans towards the asperger and nerd clusters, but it is markedly much more grounded than you'd expect from the stereotype, not confusing the everyday reality with highly simplified idealized models of it.

http://lesswrong.com/lw/oi/mind_projection_fallacy/

This article for instance just screams pedantry. We have Mr. Smartass here criticizing casual art on the basis that it isn't likely that an alien species could desire the female form in the first place.
This is an excellent example of how you've completely missed the point of LessWrong. Eliezer isn't criticizing the art - art exists to entertain, and if it does that that's fine. He's criticizing the thought processes that would lead us to think this is a plausible scenario - thought processes which are harmless when applied to SF, but which could be very dangerous when applied to some real situations.

Reality only exists within the individual human perception.
No, in fact common LessWrong opinion objects to the notion that reality exists in the mind. It is its perception that exists in the mind.

What you call pedantry, I call being careful with ideas, where mistakes can aggregate and make you reach very wrong conclusions.

Humans are independent actors subject to evolutionary and cultural forces.
That is an important observation in many LW analyses, but is a corollary, not a core principle, of rationality.

Everything else will follow accordingly. Everything less wrong covers stems from that. Human systems are complex but as a whole aren't that difficult to comprehend from core principles.
So it's better to say human systems are magical and mysterious and nobody could ever understand them?

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
Mousepotato

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
February 24, 2012, 06:43:05 AM

This reminds me of one of Issac Asimov's pieces: The Relativity of Wrong

Mousepotato
amencon

Activity: 410
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 24, 2012, 07:54:50 AM

Yeah that Asimov's piece and the whole lesswrong.org site is great.  Along a similar vein for people interested in this stuff I'd recommend reading How We Decide.

http://www.amazon.com/How-We-Decide-Jonah-Lehrer/dp/0547247990

Fascinating information that I think can be directly applied to everyone's daily life when making plans and decisions (and should be used and understood more overall).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: