Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:10:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mycelium or Electrum? Best bitcoin wallet  (Read 756 times)
minthit

Activity: 325
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 03:37:06 AM

If hardware wallet is also in your consideration, it's better with it. That's the most secure one.
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sunsilk

Activity: 2898
Merit: 620

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 10:15:03 PM

But if you truly want a very high security wallet, I'll go with hardware wallets.
I would agree with this. If security is your first priority then go with a hardware wallet like ledger nano s and you also use it with mycelium.
There is also trezor but the most preferred wallet of majority is ledger nano s but I've seen people here that they are using their spare laptop and installing electrum them and treat it as their offline wallet which is also a better way to keep your bitcoins.

btcton
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 01:50:24 AM

For the record, I just downloaded Electrum and it seems to have a very healthy number of security options, one of which includes 2-factor authentication. While I did not use this because I have other security measures in place, I do recommend you take a look at it. It supports SegWit addresses as well for lower transaction fees and it has a clean user interface. I have not tried Mycelium personally, but I might get it on my phone on the near future. As of now, I cannot comment on it, though. From what I have heard, either should be fine and it's up to your personal preference.

The signature campaign posters adding useless redundant fluff to their posts to reach their minimum word count are lowering my IQ.
jtipt

Activity: 1064
Merit: 529

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 04:45:36 AM

But if you truly want a very high security wallet, I'll go with hardware wallets.
I would agree with this. If security is your first priority then go with a hardware wallet like ledger nano s and you also use it with mycelium.
There is also trezor but the most preferred wallet of majority is ledger nano s but I've seen people here that they are using their spare laptop and installing electrum them and treat it as their offline wallet which is also a better way to keep your bitcoins.

Using an old laptop means there will always be that little chance of some malware being there. Even if you format it and install Linux, there can still be some malware. Some paranoid people might say to avoid doing that.
ipanks

Activity: 1610
Merit: 507

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 05:00:10 AM

As a new in bitcoin researchers which is good Mycelium or Electrum? I want to use a best bitcoin wallet. No hacker's can't be hack my wallet. So just from my curiosity which is better bitcoin wallet. Very high security wllet which? Need information

that is impossible to have 100% secure wallet and only you that can make your wallet safe. so far, I still use both wallets and I don't have any problem with both wallet and I can suggest to you to try mycelium and electrum at the same time. but I really like with mycelium because we can choose the fee that we want to use when we want to send some amount and I think the time is not taking too long to see the amount is arrive in another wallet.

████▄██████████▄
███▄████████████
▄███▀
████
████
████
▀███▄
███▀████████████
████▀██████████▀

▄██████████▄
████████████
███████████▀███▄
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
▀███▄███████████
████████████████
████▀██████████▀

▄██▄█████████▄██▄
▀████▄█████▄████▀
▀████▄▄████▀
███████████
▄███▀█████▀███▄
█████████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
▀███████████████▀

▄███████████████▄
█████████████████
████▀███▀██████▀
███████▄█████▀
████▄▄██████████▄
▀▀██████▀███████
▄██████▄███▄████
█████▀██████████
▀██▀███▀████████▀

████▄███████████
████████████████
▄███▀███████████
███████████████
██████████████
████████████████
███████████▄███▀
████████████
▀██████████▀
████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████
|
Listed
on
BINANCE
KUCOIN
Gate.io
|
btcton
Legendary

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 06:41:23 AM

Using an old laptop means there will always be that little chance of some malware being there. Even if you format it and install Linux, there can still be some malware. Some paranoid people might say to avoid doing that.

Uh, no, not really.

If you install a proper public, stable Linux distribution in a laptop that has been properly formatted with no hidden partitions or anything of the sort, then you should be fine. I see no way that your wallet could be compromised by malware in this way unless the malware was delivered as part of the operating system and made to delete your wallet rather than send it over, as all network interfaces should be completely disconnected making the attacker unable to steal anything. I ask of you to explain how it would be possible.

The signature campaign posters adding useless redundant fluff to their posts to reach their minimum word count are lowering my IQ.
sunsilk

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 10:43:11 AM

I'm not an expert with linux since I'm a windows users.

What is this malware you are talking about that even the simplest way of killing them which is formatting will make them remain in the computer?

AFAIK, linux is a virus-free OS since its an open source and its not a preferred OS by the majority. Are you thinking that those malware are sticking to the hardware of the PC?

I ask of you to explain how it would be possible.
Yes please, I'm interested of knowing that part too.

btcton
Legendary

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 02:23:54 AM
Merited by sunsilk (1)

What is this malware you are talking about that even the simplest way of killing them which is formatting will make them remain in the computer?

AFAIK, linux is a virus-free OS since its an open source and its not a preferred OS by the majority. Are you thinking that those malware are sticking to the hardware of the PC?

Careful there. Your understanding of Linux is a little off, which is not good when you are wanting to stick to a fully secure system. Linux refers to the kernel of the operating systems that use it. The actual operating systems vary and include Ubuntu, Debian, FreeBSD, CentOS, etc. Unless the computer or component manufacturer were to stick a hidden network card which somehow connected to the internet without any user input or knowledge, it is highly unlikely that there is a hardware-based attack vector for stealing wallets. At the most, it would delete them, which would net the hacker absolutely nothing. It is simply not possible that after a proper format of a hard drive there could be any malware left. The malware cannot just spread to other hardware pieces as the person you quoted seemed to imply.

sunsilk

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 05:47:28 AM

Careful there. Your understanding of Linux is a little off, which is not good when you are wanting to stick to a fully secure system. Linux refers to the kernel of the operating systems that use it. The actual operating systems vary and include Ubuntu, Debian, FreeBSD, CentOS, etc. Unless the computer or component manufacturer were to stick a hidden network card which somehow connected to the internet without any user input or knowledge, it is highly unlikely that there is a hardware-based attack vector for stealing wallets. At the most, it would delete them, which would net the hacker absolutely nothing. It is simply not possible that after a proper format of a hard drive there could be any malware left. The malware cannot just spread to other hardware pieces as the person you quoted seemed to imply.
Hi btcton,

Thank you for clarifying that thing. As I stated I'm not that knowledgeable that much with Linux and I appreciated your correction with the thing that I've said.

Loving the forum with people who are more knowledgeable with the other fence that I'm not good with.

btcton
Legendary

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 06:57:46 AM
Merited by marky89 (1)

Hi btcton,

Thank you for clarifying that thing. As I stated I'm not that knowledgeable that much with Linux and I appreciated your correction with the thing that I've said.

Loving the forum with people who are more knowledgeable with the other fence that I'm not good with.

You're more than welcome. I simply do not like misinformation being spread around the forums such as was the case with what jtipt said. He also never came back to clarify at all, so I kind of felt forced to chip in, since what he said was simply wrong. What rubs me off is when people claim things they are not fully knowledgeable about as fact, but I can also just assume that he meant to say something else that I didn't quite grasp. I may not be the most knowledgeable person regarding the blockchain technology and cryptocurrencies, but when it comes to computer systems, I am overly comfortable with them and know a good amount as it is my job, which is applicable to most applications that are related to crypto and security.

codewench

Activity: 93
Merit: 39

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 11:17:06 AM
Merited by marky89 (1)

If you install a proper public, stable Linux distribution in a laptop that has been properly formatted with no hidden partitions or anything of the sort, then you should be fine. I see no way that your wallet could be compromised by malware in this way [...]

A laptop will quite a bit of software in it even when you've erased the drive:

There's BIOS/EFI. Any operating system you install will at some point be interfacing with this code.

The hard drive controller has a CPU running code in it. Perhaps it has malware in it that looks for sectors containing wallets. If such a sector passes through the controller, maybe it alters the seeds/keys/addresses. This would be operating system agnostic.

If the laptop has WiFi and Bluetooth, that's two more processors running their own embedded code.

Keyboard controller. Trackpad controller. Power management chip. Even batteries may contain a CPU.

Almost everything on this list can have reprogrammable "ROM" these days. If there was ever malware on the computer, how do you know it didn't leave something behind?
Spendulus
Legendary

Merit: 1386

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 03:07:57 PM

If you install a proper public, stable Linux distribution in a laptop that has been properly formatted with no hidden partitions or anything of the sort, then you should be fine. I see no way that your wallet could be compromised by malware in this way [...]

There's BIOS/EFI. Any operating system you install will at some point be interfacing with this code.

The hard drive controller has a CPU running code in it. Perhaps it has malware in it that looks for sectors containing wallets. If such a sector passes through the controller, maybe it alters the seeds/keys/addresses. This would be operating system agnostic.

If the laptop has WiFi and Bluetooth, that's two more processors running their own embedded code.

Keyboard controller. Trackpad controller. Power management chip. Even batteries may contain a CPU.

Almost everything on this list can have reprogrammable "ROM" these days. If there was ever malware on the computer, how do you know it didn't leave something behind?

Well, I notice this is an interesting question. Are there cases of malware spreading between the resident processors in a modern computer system?

Note. Let's not seg over to trying to refute the irrefutable hypothesis here (EG "Well can you prove it couldn't happen?").

This is a straightforward question. Should we be worried about malware spreading between subsystems in a modern PC?
sunsilk

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 09:37:44 AM

You're more than welcome. I simply do not like misinformation being spread around the forums such as was the case with what jtipt said. He also never came back to clarify at all, so I kind of felt forced to chip in, since what he said was simply wrong. What rubs me off is when people claim things they are not fully knowledgeable about as fact, but I can also just assume that he meant to say something else that I didn't quite grasp. I may not be the most knowledgeable person regarding the blockchain technology and cryptocurrencies, but when it comes to computer systems, I am overly comfortable with them and know a good amount as it is my job, which is applicable to most applications that are related to crypto and security.
First time of noticing your personal text of being a sysadmin that's why hearing words from professionals like you is a big blessing for an aspiring computer systems tech like me.

It's like you are giving free advice and tips through the entire forum about security which is related to the topic of choosing desktop wallets.

He didn't comeback to clarify what he said about the old laptop containing some malware. It's inevitable but it all depends to the user on how he is tech savvy and good from keeping himself with such malware and clickbaits.

btcton
Legendary

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 05:24:31 AM

Well, I notice this is an interesting question. Are there cases of malware spreading between the resident processors in a modern computer system?

Note. Let's not seg over to trying to refute the irrefutable hypothesis here (EG "Well can you prove it couldn't happen?").

This is a straightforward question. Should we be worried about malware spreading between subsystems in a modern PC?

Sorry, did not see this until now.

To answer the original question (codewench), I think you are missing the context of the original post I was referring to. We are talking about a device being used solely for the purpose of holding coins as a cold, offline wallet. That means all network devices would be disconnected or in some other equivalent way disabled. Without these hardware components, there simply cannot be network connectivity in any form. The only other memory that could hold a significant amount of persistent storage would be the BIOS which would have to be intentionally flashed with the malware-infected version while still be signed by the original manufacturer. This is incredibly difficult to accomplish for obvious reasons and even if a hacker did try to do this, they would still have no way to actually contact back their own servers since there is no network connectivity. The only attack vector I can even think of is a variant of ransomware with a pre-stored encryption key to which only the attacker would have the decryption key. But we have already ran way past the plausibility point, so it is mostly worthless and purely hypothetical.

Saveplus

Activity: 322
Merit: 107

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 12:42:18 PM

As a new in bitcoin researchers which is good Mycelium or Electrum? I want to use a best bitcoin wallet. No hacker's can't be hack my wallet. So just from my curiosity which is better bitcoin wallet. Very high security wllet which? Need information
I used mycellium as my mobile wallet , easy to use and comfortable.I dont have laptap so I use my smartphone and restore mycellium as my wallet ,charges are low when transferring and it has a key words that make others hard to  detect or hack my money that I store on it.
bitbunnny
Legendary

Merit: 1068

WOLF.BET - Provably Fair Crypto Casino

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 03:37:49 PM

Both are good wallets but my choice would be Mycelium. It suits me better and it's more convenient because it's mobile wallet, security features are good.
Electrum had recently some security breaches and issues but that doesn't have to be deciding factor.

DeadCoin

Activity: 1246
Merit: 261

★ Investor | Trader | Promoter

View Profile
March 25, 2018, 07:53:39 PM

Both are good wallets but my choice would be Mycelium. It suits me better and it's more convenient because it's mobile wallet, security features are good.
Electrum had recently some security breaches and issues but that doesn't have to be deciding factor.

Both mycelium and Electrum are best wallets to use.  Mycelium supports only smartphone while Electrum supports desktop. Both are using private keys. I supports Electrum is supports 2 factor  authentication with low transaction fees and with high security. It uses Segwit address for transaction. It had clean user interface tools.
northcoin2018

Activity: 89
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 07:22:25 PM

A lot of my bitcoin friends are using Mycelium, so I guess it is majority wins. I would probably use it too!
Sony.UK

Activity: 532
Merit: 103

View Profile
April 01, 2018, 03:43:19 PM

I am familiar with Electrum wallet as i am using it. I am yet to use Mycelium wallet. I started using Electum wallet for Segwit. The transaction fees are very low. Though current transaction fees are very low, it used to be more during December and January. The features are very friendly. We can adjust number of blocks to reduce and increase the transaction fees.

Hannahanto

Activity: 826
Merit: 111

View Profile
April 02, 2018, 10:14:30 AM
Last edit: April 02, 2018, 06:21:18 PM by Hannahanto

I am familiar with Electrum wallet as i am using it. I am yet to use Mycelium wallet. I started using Electum wallet for Segwit. The transaction fees are very low. Though current transaction fees are very low, it used to be more during December and January. The features are very friendly. We can adjust number of blocks to reduce and increase the transaction fees.

Both wallets are working under same principle that is using private keys. I would prefer Electrum wallet, because this wallet has Segwit enabled. This wallet is very safe and secure, while transaction fees is very low. It supports desktop and mob android as well. In this security options include 2-factor authentication. This is user friendly and transaction speed is very fast.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: