Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:46:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A newbie question about CPU Mining  (Read 378 times)
sukey2008 (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 10:11:11 PM

Hello miners, I would like to ask a "stupid" question since it bores me for some days:
If someone is using his desktop to do some normal work and in the meanwhile mining like SUMO coin, will it cost addtional power consumption than without mining?

Thanks in advance for reply

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
halker2010

Activity: 532
Merit: 250

The harder your life is the more meaning it has.

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 08:29:28 AM

Hello miners, I would like to ask a "stupid" question since it bores me for some days:
If someone is using his desktop to do some normal work and in the meanwhile mining like SUMO coin, will it cost addtional power consumption than without mining?

well yeah cpu mining can consume power based on your cpu and amount you pay for power it might be less profitable or none profitable than GPU mining.
manji

Activity: 210
Merit: 174

BookiePro.Fun - The World's Betting Exchange

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 09:08:01 AM

at this point of mining.mining with a desktop or cpu can make your device damaged. CPU / desktop is different if used mining. because the mining process must run long priode and remove heat.

any coin that will be mining will definitely not be profitable because the resulting hashrate is small.

newmz

Activity: 372

The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 09:42:57 AM

When ever I have used CPU mining software - there is usually a way to configure the miner to make it use a specified number of "threads". Like when I used to mine Magi (XMG) using whatever CPU miner I could find to do the M7M algorithm, I could run the miner on an  Intel Core i7 and add -t 7 or sometimes -t 5 or -t 6 to the .bat file to make it use 7, 5 or 6 of the 8 threads available to the miner, and leave 1,2 or 3 for whatever else the computer's OS was doing - like keeping time, keeping track of the mouse, etc.

Now that we have multi-core processors, each core of a processor is assigned usually either one thread (for example like an Intel core i5 - 4 cores, 4 threads) or two threads (for example like an Intel core i7 - 4 cores, 8 threads). Each one of these threads is able to process a computational function simultaneously. If you don't specify a number of threads, or a percentage of the processor's power, then I assume the miner will just use as much as possible. If you want to be able to mine and use the computer for other stuff, I would suggest configuring the miner to only use maybe half or 75% the available threads while you are using it, then if you are not using it - restart the miner and let it use all threads, or most of them or whatever.

When you ask about "using his desktop to do some normal work" - that all depends what you mean by normal work. If you are just typing in a text document then the processor will probably only need a few watts to do that, but if you are watching transcoded video or unzipping compressed files or something the processor may use most of it's available wattage.

This also all depends on what mining software you are using, what priority the OS gives this software, etc. The only way to really know is to use a watt meter to measure power consumption when just mining, then compare that to power consumption when mining and "using his desktop to do some normal work".

Crypto currency enthusiast and miner since 2015. Mined approx 200 ETH during 2016 and 2017 and sold it at approximately $US40 each. Then I watched it reach $1000+ each. If anyone bothers to read this stuff pay attention to this: HODL HODL HODL HODL HODL HODL

I started mining with 1 AMD 7950 and 1 R9-280X. Then I gradually built my AMD operation into 12 R9-290s. Awesome ETH hash but ridiculous power consumption and heat. Over the last year I defected to the Nvidia team. I now use GTX 1070s. They were expensive to buy (probably a bargain now) but awesome hash rate vs. power consumption. blah blah blah blah
newmz

Activity: 372

The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 09:46:01 AM

at this point of mining.mining with a desktop or cpu can make your device damaged. CPU / desktop is different if used mining. because the mining process must run long priode and remove heat.

any coin that will be mining will definitely not be profitable because the resulting hashrate is small.

Unless you are overclocking too much, mining will not damage your CPU. Some CPU mined coins are a little bit profitable, and if you have access to many computers that are otherwise idle, like a big network at a company where no one is using them at night, you can definitely make plenty of profit.

Crypto currency enthusiast and miner since 2015. Mined approx 200 ETH during 2016 and 2017 and sold it at approximately $US40 each. Then I watched it reach $1000+ each. If anyone bothers to read this stuff pay attention to this: HODL HODL HODL HODL HODL HODL

I started mining with 1 AMD 7950 and 1 R9-280X. Then I gradually built my AMD operation into 12 R9-290s. Awesome ETH hash but ridiculous power consumption and heat. Over the last year I defected to the Nvidia team. I now use GTX 1070s. They were expensive to buy (probably a bargain now) but awesome hash rate vs. power consumption. blah blah blah blah
vlad230

Activity: 616
Merit: 279

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 10:02:40 AM

Yes, it will consume more energy based on the cpu cores you're using. The "power saving" mode on some desktops/laptops basically make your pc run with less cores (among others).

Either way the energy consumption from one processor is very low to make a dent in your electricity bill. The majority of processors consume about 50 watts per hour at full capacity.

I would recommend using a cpu mining software (e.g. XMRIG - you can find it on this forum) that allows you to set how many threads to use for ming (never use more cores than you physically have, so without the virtual hyper threading ones).

If you tweak the software configs a bit, you will see that the maximum hashrate is not really dependant on the no. of cores you use but the L3 cache the processor has - the more the better, so you will also be able to use your pc while you mine.

Happy mining Smiley
manji

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 10:03:18 AM

Unless you are overclocking too much, mining will not damage your CPU. Some CPU mined coins are a little bit profitable, and if you have access to many computers that are otherwise idle, like a big network at a company where no one is using them at night, you can definitely make plenty of profit.
this point i disagree Surely cpu mining without gpu, can damage cpu because cpu is not in design for mining.

of course many computers and have access in a company must profit because it has free hardware, free electricity, free internet.

but which boss can allow his property to be used for the benefit of others?

anyone doing hidden mining in cpu. he must become' the failed boss'

phuocduong

Activity: 182

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 10:04:40 AM

cpu mining not good profit if coin can mine by GPU
jillscarbrough

Activity: 588
Merit: 335

Steady State Finance

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 02:01:58 PM

will it cost addtional power consumption than without mining?

You can try measuring power consumption by using a power meter such as A killing watt meters.

you can compare how much desktop power consumption is when it's on and used in mining, and without mining.

each desktop has a processor that has a number of different 'thread'. the number of 'thread' determines the resulting hashrate number which is certainly directly proportional to electricity consumption or so-called hashes / watt.

then my opinion:

yes, if the desktop is used for mining, I think there will be the additional cost of power consumption.
tenebriscaelum

Activity: 462
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 02:03:50 PM

The only way that you will raise the power consumption in the CPU is if you are running overclock on it. If it is already stressed out in mining then it will that will be then maximum power consumption of your CPU. Also it will depend on the task that you will do while mining for example are going to use blender while mining on it.
minerja

Activity: 1248
Merit: 297

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 08:16:24 PM

Lots of "interesting" answers to this question...let me give you a few more to ponder...

so "If someone is using his desktop to do some normal work and in the meanwhile mining like SUMO coin, will it cost addtional power consumption than without mining?"...only 1 answer, absolutely!
The average work pc (not doing high end rendering blah blah) will be used for a calendar, email, surfing, word processing and spreadsheets, even having all these things open and in use, any modern day cpu will be coasting, the second you fire up virtually any cpu miner it will do 2 things....use all cores, and at max speed....

Yes you can make it use 1 core, Yes you can usually alter the intensity, but even so, you will always use more power than if you wern't mining.

I use an old core2duo for work, and the whole pc sits at about 40 watts all day (not inc monitor) if i fire up a cpu miner it jumps to 82-94 watts....so a huge jump !

Reliability....again general work use, simply doesn't stress a modern day pc, and it is only on 8am-6pm (generally) this is all calculated by Lenovo, Dell, etc, so the power supply, the heat sinks, etc are all designed to only cope with that level of performance (+ a bit), so when you start using cpu 100% even for only 8 hours you are really stressing it, and ps...running 24hrs and it will only last a few weeks (again generally)

Home pcs are generally built with much more durable components, and always have much better cooling. (They have to, cos they don't know what hardware you may upgrade to)

BUT, all this is fairly irrelevent, cos if it is a work pc and you are anywhere in europe or america, if you use the pc for purposes other than authorised (usually very specifically and in writing) then generally if the company catch you, not only will you be terminated, but in the UK the police are also generally involved (stealing company resources is seen as very serious over here)

Best advice, check your policies, and if in doubt ask, you might be suprised, my IT manager was very annoyed i even asked at first, but then came back weeks later so suggest an overnight trial on 1 server...now i pay for the electricity i consume and have access to upto a 100 servers 7 nights a week...elecy bill is quite high, but if any hardware breaks etc, it just gets fixed....works for me
J

Profuter

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 08:31:33 PM

What are the minimum investment needed to start the mining and how to calculate correctly the project ROI. Prices on video cards are too high now. Can I buy GPU of the previous generation or it'll be less profitable?
minerja

Activity: 1248
Merit: 297

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 12:47:17 AM

What are the minimum investment needed to start the mining and how to calculate correctly the project ROI. Prices on video cards are too high now. Can I buy GPU of the previous generation or it'll be less profitable?

As a basic setup to learn mining, i'd go for old  Nvida 750Ti's or New 1030GT...both are cheap, and easy to buy, wont make you a ton of money but will get you into mining. Or something like R9 270/x again great little starter card for not much cash.

Don't expect to make much money at all with any previous gen card, although especially AMD cards deliver quite high hash rates, the power consumption kills profit (unless u get free power)
I'm currently building 6x 1030GT rigs....approx hash equates to 2 x 1060 3gb with power use approx 1.25 x 1060, and still cheap at the mo.
J
Profuter

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 11:26:10 AM

My system intel core i5 +16 Gb Ram + Radeon R370 (2GB)
how much can i mine on it?
What token will the best choice to start mining?
phuocduong

Activity: 182

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 01:01:18 PM

i thinks you should mine ZOIN (with cpu) and .... other coin (ethash algo, cryptonight algo) with gpu
Profuter

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 07:36:52 PM

i thinks you should mine ZOIN (with cpu) and .... other coin (ethash algo, cryptonight algo) with gpu
how much can i mine on it? I want to understand whether it is worth starting or all that will be mined will be given to pay bills for electricity
manji

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 03:24:10 AM

how much can i mine on it? I want to understand whether it is worth starting or all that will be mined will be given to pay bills for electricity

You can't knows if you didn't try to mining that's coins. Because of every day, hour or minute's price of coins never flat. And network diff always changes, sometimes increse or decreased.

Of those things can't be predicted how much you will get.

Vlizzjeffrey

Activity: 784
Merit: 503

Bitcoin King BTC

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 05:54:30 AM

well yeah cpu mining can consume power based on your cpu and amount you pay for power it might be less profitable or none profitable than GPU mining.

depends what cpu you have, a reyzen 7 1700 is pretty good for mining, it gives 500h/s with 40 watt power use. wich earns you about 50 usd profit a month, profits are going down to obviously.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion★  Anonymity Guaranteed
★  Anonymous and Untraceable
★  Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
Vlizzjeffrey

Activity: 784
Merit: 503

Bitcoin King BTC

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 05:57:13 AM

As a basic setup to learn mining, i'd go for old  Nvida 750Ti's or New 1030GT...both are cheap, and easy to buy, wont make you a ton of money but will get you into mining. Or something like R9 270/x again great little starter card for not much cash.

Don't expect to make much money at all with any previous gen card, although especially AMD cards deliver quite high hash rates, the power consumption kills profit (unless u get free power)
I'm currently building 6x 1030GT rigs....approx hash equates to 2 x 1060 3gb with power use approx 1.25 x 1060, and still cheap at the mo.
J

you are building a 6x1030gt rig, are you kidding me?
If i was you i would go for 6x rx550 rig, they can do 450h/s in cryptonight, better option then 1030gt. 6xrx550 you earn 8 usd a day, what you earn a day with 6x1030gt?

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███