Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 05:16:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Some PDU Part#'s  (Read 240 times)
Raymond_B (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 71

Just Getting Started...

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2018, 01:29:45 AM
Merited by frodocooper (2), VentMine (1)

I know a lot of folks pick up PDUs off eBay, so I thought I'd post some search fodder for the new folks. Surely someone will search before posting right? Yeah I'm optimistic Smiley

Anyway what got me looking around is that most PDUs are not very well suited for ASIC miners. You might buy a 30A PDU, but look at it carefully. Most of the time each bank of outlets is protected by a 15A breaker. So 2 S9s will put you over the 80% derating recommendation and pretty close to the cap, I haven't measure S9 inrush. Use something like a Pangolin M3 and you're down to 1 miner per outlet bank.

Now I am sure there's folks running these 15A/bank PDUs with no issues, but it's too close for me. By doing some digging I found APC part # AP6031A (Dell branded Dell AP6031), which seems perfect for ASICs. 30A total (24A derated), 4 outlets @ 12A each derated. The form factor of this PDU is also a lot smaller so you don't have giant PDUs with a bunch of wasted outlets.

Thought I'd share.

the_electronrancher

Activity: 112
Merit: 4

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 03:54:31 AM

I got some by server technology, they're great.  I can log in and toggle plugs, monitor power.  Paid about $60 from some surplus place, very happy with the purchase
Raymond_B (OP)

Just Getting Started...

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2018, 03:55:40 AM

I got some by server technology, they're great.  I can log in and toggle plugs, monitor power.  Paid about $60 from some surplus place, very happy with the purchase

Wow, very nice to get switched outlets for $60.00! Have any part numbers?

VentMine

Activity: 236
Merit: 105

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 10:09:21 PM

Thanks for this Raymond, I have been thinking the exact same thing - most PDU's aren't meant for ASICs.

I'm also interested in learning the part # for the above mentioned switched PDU's. Speaking of switched PDU's, have you encountered any really good deals on switched PDU's that are suitible for ASICs?

Cheers

1ESSdoVYKm8sNtYMfdkFBajhAe2e6G8keH
Raymond_B (OP)

Just Getting Started...

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2018, 04:14:17 AM

Thanks for this Raymond, I have been thinking the exact same thing - most PDU's aren't meant for ASICs.

I'm also interested in learning the part # for the above mentioned switched PDU's. Speaking of switched PDU's, have you encountered any really good deals on switched PDU's that are suitible for ASICs?

Cheers

I have not found any "affordable" switched PDUs yet. Most command a premium, I am still looking though. I work with an APC and a Vertiv reseller  I am waiting to hear back on what they can find. I need to ping them again.

ccgllc
Copper Member

Activity: 658
Merit: 101

Math doesn't care what you believe.

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 07:04:32 PM

At my previous location I used a pair of Tripp-Lite 30amp power strips to run (8) S9s - (4) per strip, (2) per side of each strip.  Over about a year, I popped one of the 20amp internal breakers once.  Never had any problems on the panel breaker.  These were, of course, maxed.

Mined for a living since 2017.  Dabbled for years before that.
Linux admin since 0.96 kernel and Slackware distributions on (4) floppies...
VentMine

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 04:49:53 PM

Cheers

I have not found any "affordable" switched PDUs yet. Most command a premium, I am still looking though. I work with an APC and a Vertiv reseller  I am waiting to hear back on what they can find. I need to ping them again.

Sounds good. If you find good prices on PDU's that are suitable for 30A +, keep me posted, I may be in the market for a significant amount (especially if we can find low-cost switched PDU's).

the_electronrancher

Activity: 112
Merit: 4

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 03:03:20 AM

The ones I got were

Server Technologies Sentry Switched Cabinet Distribution Unit CDU CW-8H2-L30M
Server Technologies Sentry Switched Cabinet Distribution Unit CDU CX-8H2-L30M

The CW is the master, and the CX uses a 6-pin telephone cord to connect to the master.  So 12 switched plugs on two CDU (two 30A circuits) that are controlled from the one web interface.

VentMine

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 10:53:33 PM

Cool these look like good units. I just asked for a quote.

Mind if I ask what you paid for them?

Also - just a general question for PDUs: My power source is three phase but I will be running the PDU's off single phase L-L of 230 V. For a PDU with input voltage requirement of 230V, does it matter if it is L-L voltage or L-N?

Thanks

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: