Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 10:47:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tradehill and IAFCU?  (Read 1567 times)
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2013, 08:39:30 AM
Last edit: August 29, 2013, 08:50:48 AM by Meni Rosenfeld

A few days ago, a story was picked up by the media that Tradehill has partnered with the IAFCU. However, there seems to be no mention of this in Tradehill's official channels, the only evidence seems to be an email message that was supposedly sent by Tradehill to its customers.

And now we're hearing the relationship, along with any Bitcoin activity, has ended, again with nothing more than an email.

The whole thing sounds very fishy. Is this for real or a hoax?

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 08:44:46 AM

Tradehill is likely very interested in a more intimate partnership with a CU which may allow them to bypass MSB licensing... It doesn't make sense for them to simply switch which institution they use for processing and not notify everyone, though.

Jered's not easy to contact. Best bet would probably be for someone curious to go to 20Mission and ask in-person.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 09:10:35 AM

Tradehill is likely very interested in a more intimate partnership with a CU which may allow them to bypass MSB licensing... It doesn't make sense for them to simply switch which institution they use for processing and not notify everyone, though.

Jered's not easy to contact. Best bet would probably be for someone curious to go to 20Mission and ask in-person.

I went by 20 Mission a few weeks ago, no one was around and their was a commercial for-lease sign in the window. Are they still around?

Kluge
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 09:18:31 AM

I went by 20 Mission a few weeks ago, no one was around and their was a commercial for-lease sign in the window. Are they still around?
Pretty sure. Their page was updated not too long ago. http://www.20mission.com/
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 09:25:48 AM
Last edit: August 30, 2013, 06:03:07 PM by QuestionAuthority

I have to go to Rainbow Grocery tomorrow. While I'm down there I'll try again.

Edit: No luck. He's not at either address. Out of town maybe?

Kluge
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 09:40:49 AM

I have to go to Rainbow Grocery tomorrow. While I'm down there I'll try again.
There are two addresses. Looks like it's a very short distance from each other, but not on the same block. I'm unsure which is more likely to contain Jered.

Living Space – 3491 20th Street
Working Space – 2415 Mission Street
joesmoe2012

Activity: 882
Merit: 501

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2013, 10:25:55 AM

THis is bad news though. I hope IAFCU didn't get too much heat for working with bitfloor, i know that all happened pretty fast for them.

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
geoburke

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2013, 03:28:58 PM

What's worse, is Tradehill is suspending bitcoin trading!!  This is nuts.

I received an announcement from Tradehill last night saying
This correspondence is to inform you Tradehill is suspending its relationship with the Internet Archive Federal Credit Union (IAFCU). Tradehill is also suspending its Bitcoin trading activities, for the time being, and will reach out to you as soon as trading operations resume.

If you would like Tradehill to wire you your US Dollar balance (if applicable), or if you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact your Personal Account Manager at Tradehill.

Sincerely,

The Tradehill Team

Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2013, 07:35:58 AM

What's worse, is Tradehill is suspending bitcoin trading!!  This is nuts.

I received an announcement from Tradehill last night saying
This correspondence is to inform you Tradehill is suspending its relationship with the Internet Archive Federal Credit Union (IAFCU). Tradehill is also suspending its Bitcoin trading activities, for the time being, and will reach out to you as soon as trading operations resume.

If you would like Tradehill to wire you your US Dollar balance (if applicable), or if you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact your Personal Account Manager at Tradehill.

Sincerely,

The Tradehill Team
They don't seem to be saying much about what their regulatory problems are.

I suspect that the problem is that the SEC says they have to register as a broker/dealer. Since there's now a court opinion that Bitcoin is a security, it follows that regular securities laws apply. A securities broker is defined as "any person engaged in the business of effecting transactions in securities for the account of others." That's Tradehill. Also, the SEC says "A firm that advertises publicly that it makes a market in securities is obviously a dealer." That's Tradehill.

That means audits, capital requirements, insurance, etc. - all the stuff you have to do to handle other people's money.

This is a tougher requirement than registering as a money transfer firm. It's harder than complying with anti-money laundering laws.  AML is all about disclosure and reporting. Broker/dealer regulation is all about broker/dealers not screwing their customers.

A broker-dealer may not begin business until:

it has properly filed Form BD, and the SEC has granted its registration;
    it has become a member of an SRO; (a "self-regulation organization, like NASDAQ or FINRA).
    it has become a member of SIPC, the Securities Investor Protection Corporation; (Customers get $500K coverage, the broker pays premiums for this.)
    it complies with all applicable state requirements; and
    its "associated persons" have satisfied applicable qualification requirements. (There's a background check and an exam.)

While all this is a pain for Bitcoin exchanges, it means you get your money back if the "exchange" goes belly-up, which about half of Bitcoin exchanges have done so far. Big win for investors. And no broker/dealer selling to US customers can get away with things like the Mt. Gox withdrawal "hiatus". A broker that gets two or three days behind gets closed down, like Lehman or MF Global. This is a no-bullshit business at the getting-paid level.

Welcome to the real world, Bitcoin. 
Pale Phoenix

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 07:18:28 PM

^^ Sorry, but you have a complete misunderstanding of what the court in the "pirate" case ruled with regard to bitcoin, as well as, how that decision affects the rest of the body of U.S. law / regulation.

Bitcoins are not securities, and no one has authoritatively said that they are.

niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 04:24:37 AM

^^ Sorry, but you have a complete misunderstanding of what the court in the "pirate" case ruled with regard to bitcoin, as well as, how that decision affects the rest of the body of U.S. law / regulation.

Bitcoins are not securities, and no one has authoritatively said that they are.
This is what I thought, too. Nagle, can you clarify your claim? It's important.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
isnowblind

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 08:36:31 PM

Hi,
I am still waiting for my funds to be returned by Tradehill / Jered Kenna from the first time Tradehill closed its business. About 6 months ago I sent an email to Tradehill, Jered responded, confirmed my account balance and requested a BTC address so he could send the funds. He said he would send out the funds but never did. I have sent multiple gentle 'reminder' emails to both his address and the info address but have never received a response.
Has anyone heard from him or received funds recently?
Thanks

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: