Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:51:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Windows 10 reject my 1080s?  (Read 123 times)
newmz (OP)

Activity: 372
Merit: 250

The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 04:32:14 AM

I have 2 rigs running Windows 8.1 which have different kinds of Nvidia GPUs on the same motherboard, one is 4 x 1060 6GB + 1 x 1080, the other is 4 x 1070 + 1 x 1080.

For some reason I don't understand, the 1060 + 1080 rig has decided that the Windows license has expired or something. I don't even remember where the license came from, or if maybe it was after I did a Windows update - these rigs are just cobbled together with hardware and software I had lying around.

Anyway, I bought a cheap license for Windows 10 and started the upgrade process by running the Win 10 ISO. At some point while the upgrade was running it popped up a message that said something like "This hardware will not function in Windows 10: GTX 1080". So I just stopped it. The 8.1 OS is still running and I'm mining away, and now the message about the license expiring hasn't appeared again for a few days, so WTF is going on? Anyone ever seen an issue like this before? Is there any sane reason why 4 x 1060s plus 1 x 1080 will not work in Windows 10?

Crypto currency enthusiast and miner since 2015. Mined approx 200 ETH during 2016 and 2017 and sold it at approximately $US40 each. Then I watched it reach $1000+ each. If anyone bothers to read this stuff pay attention to this: HODL HODL HODL HODL HODL HODL

I started mining with 1 AMD 7950 and 1 R9-280X. Then I gradually built my AMD operation into 12 R9-290s. Awesome ETH hash but ridiculous power consumption and heat. Over the last year I defected to the Nvidia team. I now use GTX 1070s. They were expensive to buy (probably a bargain now) but awesome hash rate vs. power consumption. blah blah blah blah

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 04:52:59 AM

You should unplug all the x1 riser connectors except for the one in the primary x16 slot before upgrading. I just use the Microsoft media creation tool to create a bootable flash drive with the latest build and always nuke the system drive to do a clean install. The media creation tool automatically creats a bootable flash drive with the latest Windows 10 build and updates.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6734-windows-10-installation-tool.html

Make sure to boot off of the USB flash drive UEFI partion from the boot menu for the Windows installation. After Windows installs I run DDU in safe mode to remove the existing driver and set Windows to not automatically install drivers. Then I shutdown, connect all the risers back in the PCI-E slots and install the latest driver. I also set a group policy to disable driver updates from Windows Updates.

In the Windows 10 Pro Group Policy Editor you can keep Windows Update from updating the the drivers.

gpedit ==> Computer Configuration ==> Administrative Templates ==> Windows Components ==> Windows Update and set 'Do not include drivers with Windows Update' to enabled.
manji

Activity: 210
Merit: 174

BookiePro.Fun - The World's Betting Exchange

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 05:59:24 AM

If you are going to update win 10 it is better to unplug your GPU in PCIe slot because there are few instances of win which are not detected automatically if upgraded before windows 10.

then uninstall your GPU drivers before upgrading to win 10. and reinstall the GPU, then restart. Good Luck

mcs_john

Activity: 68
Merit: 1

Share your merit with me if I was helpful :)

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 07:44:50 AM

I would do a clean install of Windows 10 with all GPUs unplugged (use onboard video). Install all Windows updates, including Fall Creators (this removes the 8 GPU limit, by the way). Disable driver updates through Windows Update. After that plug one card and install drivers from NVidia, not from Windows update. Than plug all the cards.

GLOBCOIN │ THE CURRENCY OF GLOBAL VILLAGE │GLOBCOIN (http://www.globcoin.io/)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: