Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:50:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How about a merit bounty & services subforum?  (Read 122 times)
JetSet11 (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 23

"Get Paid to Play your Media on Current"

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 07:14:22 AM

It would make things a lot easier for people. People could agree to do jobs, etc. in exchange for an increase in merit. It would help users find a predictable and reliable supply of merit, and it could help encourage rapid distribution of merit throughout the forum.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
timerland

Activity: 1526
Merit: 596

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 07:48:05 AM

It would make things a lot easier for people. People could agree to do jobs, etc. in exchange for an increase in merit. It would help users find a predictable and reliable supply of merit, and it could help encourage rapid distribution of merit throughout the forum.

Merits afaik aren't supposed to be traded for monetary rewards and what you're doing here is pretty much that. I doubt that DT members will consider this an unethical way of gaining merits, as someone could easily offer either bitcoins or goods in exchange for their merit score being topped up.

I don't know exactly what others stances are on this but I think that merits should only be obtained from good posts and not be associated with a price.

Perhaps a subforum could be developed that allows users to blog their ideas, and users have the option to subscribe to their blogs using their merit points... Instead of trading merits for services/goods. I don't think it's necessary though, what it is right now is enough in terms of preventing spam imo.

Smiley
bitperson

Activity: 210
Merit: 119

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 07:51:00 AM

As I understand it, merit is supposed to be a way to reward high quality posts that benefit the community, not a currency with which to pay for private services. But there's already evidence that merit is being abused, if that's the right word for unintended use cases. I guess it's a matter of opinion. In a free economy, people will do whatever appears profitable.

Now that I received my precious first merits, I've thought hard about how to use them. The easiest way would be to hand them out one at a time in response to individual high quality posts. But I apprently received mine (first 4, then 6) because the people who gave them to me thought I deserved to make member. So I've also given thought to reciprocating that by specifically meriting junior members whom I'd like to see reach the next level. I realise this isn't exactly what theymos intended, either. But those 'post here if you think you deserve merit' discussions, as well as those seeking merit source status, currently take up a lot of space in Meta, so maybe they would need a sub-forum.

How to ask questions the smart way
When you’re happy with the answers in a thread you have started, please click ‘lock topic’ to prevent spam.
1AWrZWnN4ThpGB5z24WTzsoZRMqvLpDGYU
timerland

Activity: 1526
Merit: 596

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 08:12:32 AM

As I understand it, merit is supposed to be a way to reward high quality posts that benefit the community, not a currency with which to pay for private services. But there's already evidence that merit is being abused, if that's the right word for unintended use cases. I guess it's a matter of opinion. In a free economy, people will do whatever appears profitable.

Now that I received my precious first merits, I've thought hard about how to use them. The easiest way would be to hand them out one at a time in response to individual high quality posts. But I apprently received mine (first 4, then 6) because the people who gave them to me thought I deserved to make member. So I've also given thought to reciprocating that by specifically meriting junior members whom I'd like to see reach the next level. I realise this isn't exactly what theymos intended, either. But those 'post here if you think you deserve merit' discussions, as well as those seeking merit source status, currently take up a lot of space in Meta, so maybe they would need a sub-forum.

Your merits and sMerits are 2 separate things, so even though you have 10 merits in reality you only have 5 sMerits that you can send to other people. And when you send those 5 sMerits, your actual merit score will not be affected.

You're completely right. Merits are not supposed to be used as a currency, it's supposed to a symbol of quality and potentially even a secondary trust score. For it to become a medium of exchange on a free market would be unfit. We've already got bitcoin for that.

Plus, if OP's idea was really carried out, then the merit sources can basically do anything they want including selling off their merits. This obviously isn't what anyone intended the new system to be.

Smiley
secondgarlic

Activity: 112
Merit: 16

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 09:48:09 AM

This is not adressing the problem at all, you are trying to solve the issue by introducing another questionable concept. The forum does not need people to do jobs to ensure an increase of merit. Unless the people have a legitimate reason to give merit (because they do not have that right now), this system is not going to function. What we need is a real incentive for people to give merit to other people.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: