Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 04:37:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Someone bought bitcoins off me with a hijacked account  (Read 2837 times)
xenog (OP)

Activity: 38
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2013, 03:02:37 PM

A few days ago I completed a transaction over LocalBitcoins.com to a buyer called bitspeeds (currently blocked). The buyer sent me the funds through a SEPA transfer, and I released the bitcoins to him once the money was visible in my account.

My bank called me yesterday to inform that the sender of the funds wanted to have them returned. I refused. When I was back at my computer I communicated with LocalBitcoins.com to let them know that the buyer was a scammer. I also changed the review that I originally posted, giving him a bad reputation and accusing him to be a scammer.

This morning my bank account was frozen, and LocalBitcoins.com had responded with an email stating that the person was connecting from Russia, and probably used a stolen back account to pay me, and that I'd probably get my account frozen, which was the case.

I went to my bank and told everything to the agent. I got my account unfrozen, but the funds are now marked as being in dispute. I'm going to fight this one. I did not get my computer hacked or my bank account hijacked, and I definitely do not want to be the one that loses in this occasion.

Bank transfers aren't hard enough to deal with bitcoins. Only cash and metal should be used. Scammers are using hijacked bank accounts to buy bitcoins, then the funds are being forcefully returned to sender once the bank realizes the transfer came from a phishing victim. Since practically everyone can be a phishing victim, transfers should not be trusted.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2013, 03:12:07 PM

Sorry to hear about that.

You must be new here.  This is a very common scam.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
xenog (OP)

Activity: 38
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2013, 03:25:16 PM

I'm certainly not new to Bitcoin, but I'm new to this forum.

I'm glad to notify that the bank has released the funds back to me, and my account is fully unlocked.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2013, 03:43:17 PM
Last edit: August 29, 2013, 03:58:41 PM by BurtW

I'm certainly not new to Bitcoin, but I'm new to this forum.

I'm glad to notify that the bank has released the funds back to me, and my account is fully unlocked.
Excellent!

People buy BTC with hacked PayPal accounts and it is much worse.  It is PayPal's standard operating procedure to freeze all accounts involved for months.  If it was a hacked account they take the money back directly from your PayPal account and give it back to the person with the hacked account - you are out the BTC and there is nothing you can do about it.

If you have taken the money out of your PayPal account they take the money anyway and give you a negative balance.  You have to put the money back or your PayPal acount is stuck with a negative balance.

So, be thankful you were not using PayPal.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
realestone
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 05:41:40 PM

i hope you win this dispute
Magazine

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 05:44:09 PM

Glad you won, just sucks if a persons bank was really hacked and now they are out of money. Maybe it was just a scammer, telling his bank that the transaction was not authorized.

Glad you got them back anyway.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: