Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 08:58:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Confused about value USD/satoshis  (Read 65 times)
wittaz (OP)

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 10:39:04 AM

I'm still pretty new to the entire crypto stuff so bear with me if this sounds stupid.

I have a question about the value of a coin in USD and satoshis, and why it goes up and down all the time.

Let's take VEN for example.

How come the current price for VEN (looking at ETH pair) is currently 0.00571000 ETH for 1 VEN, valued at $7.00?
When it was 0.0066 ETH for 1 VEN, valued at the same dollar mark, only a day or 2 ago?

Same for NEO, I bought a few at 0.127000 ETH (valued at around $140-145) , but right now it is 0.119004 ETH for 1 NEO. Yet, the price in USD is higher than before. (now around $148-150)

For example, 100 NEO would cost you an exact amount of 13 ETH. When you want to sell these 100 NEO now, it would get you 12 ETH, but the USD price is the same as it was with 13 ETH, how is this possible?

Am I losing money now? Did I do right to buy when ETH was dropping?

There's probably a very good way of understanding this "issue" but if someone could ELI5 me, that would be great.
trudovik

Activity: 546
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 10:49:22 AM

These are natural things. Because in a couple of VEN / ETH for example. ETH itself may become more expensive or cheaper. Or the same can happen with the VEN project, which we took for example. But in any case, more worldview is needed for this. Once you do this several times you will understand. And better just study the stock exchange, I think then everything will become clear.
hase0278

Activity: 882
Merit: 544

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 10:59:03 AM

I'm still pretty new to the entire crypto stuff so bear with me if this sounds stupid.

I have a question about the value of a coin in USD and satoshis, and why it goes up and down all the time.

How come the current price for VEN (looking at ETH pair) is currently 0.00571000 ETH for 1 VEN, valued at $7.00?
When it was 0.0066 ETH for 1 VEN, valued at the same dollar mark, only a day or 2 ago?

Same for NEO, I bought a few at 0.127000 ETH (valued at around $140-145) , but right now it is 0.119004 ETH for 1 NEO. Yet, the price in USD is higher than before. (now around $148-150)

For example, 100 NEO would cost you an exact amount of 13 ETH. When you want to sell these 100 NEO now, it would get you 12 ETH, but the USD price is the same as it was with 13 ETH, how is this possible?

There's probably a very good way of understanding this "issue" but if someone could ELI5 me, that would be great.
To answer your first question, you didn't gain nor lost anything if dollar value is also the same as before. In the case of neo, you have gained a profit in USD but you have lost some in terms of ETH but let me ask, what currency do you want to base your trade on first? If you want to have fiat as your base pair then you are not losing money now but if you want your main base pair in ETH then you are losing some.
wittaz (OP)

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 11:59:01 AM

If you want to have fiat as your base pair then you are not losing money now but if you want your main base pair in ETH then you are losing some.

I understand. So if you were to focus on ETH pair and you would be trading on a regular basis, that this wouldn't be good I guess. Value in USD increases, value of ETH decreases. You sell at a higher USD but with a lower ETH value, you lose money.
AleksandrKosov

Activity: 140
Merit: 12

PITCH – THE FUTURE OF OPPORTUNITY

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 12:43:12 PM

There are several markets for trades of the same NEO: to the dollar, to etherium, to bitcoin. When your asset falls to the etherium, and the etherium grows to the dollar, then you can get a situation like yours. You have to determine for yourself in which market you want to trade for the quantity of your dollars or ethereums or bitcoins

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: