Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 05:43:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Mining OS] Interest in Windows based mining management?  (Read 151 times)
bigjon440 (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 04:16:07 PM
Last edit: January 28, 2018, 04:35:47 PM by bigjon440

Hello, just checking to see if there is any interested in a project I am working on. It is a Windows based mining system that allows you to target multiple mining rigs to manage them without the need to ever log on to them. The target audience would be anyone with more than 5+ or so mining rigs or those who are more comfortable using Windows 10 versus Linux based operating systems. The project is very alpha at this point, but I am using it to control my mining from a central management point. Also, this system allows you to provision a mining rig automatically start to finish, from damaged/corrupt install to completely provisioned OS that is mining without touching the system or being on site. I also have a system that can flash the BIOS of your card automatically during provisioning to some preset standards, but that is down the road some and definitely use at your own risk.

Some benefits
-Should be able to manage 1000+ miners without issue
-Totally automated provisioning, useful if in a datacenter or in remote environment
-Adds blockchain drivers to the install automatically
-Has support for multiple claymore Miners and versions, adding more in the future
-Ability to Remote Desktop Protocol
-Not cloud based, so protects your privacy by keeping everything in the local lan
-Will come preinstalled with MSI Afterburner, GPU-z, and other handy tools
-No issues with Onboard Graphics

Some drawbacks
-not as simple as say ethos or others
-Since it is a provisioning system as well as mining management, is has more steps to set up
-Currently for AMD GPU’s right now, will add Nvidia support in the future
-Needs 120+ SSD, not thumb drive

Why I am asking is I am at a stage of development that determines if I am going to make it for myself only, or develop it for use for others. I am not providing any Operating Systems, but I will provide a walkthrough and videos to help set it up. You will have to download them yourselves (Microsoft has trials), and the framework management system. Most of the setup is automatic.
Let me know if interested, or if there are any questions, thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
puwaha

Activity: 700
Merit: 294

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 10:21:07 PM

Hello, just checking to see if there is any interested in a project I am working on. It is a Windows based mining system that allows you to target multiple mining rigs to manage them without the need to ever log on to them. The target audience would be anyone with more than 5+ or so mining rigs or those who are more comfortable using Windows 10 versus Linux based operating systems. The project is very alpha at this point, but I am using it to control my mining from a central management point. Also, this system allows you to provision a mining rig automatically start to finish, from damaged/corrupt install to completely provisioned OS that is mining without touching the system or being on site. I also have a system that can flash the BIOS of your card automatically during provisioning to some preset standards, but that is down the road some and definitely use at your own risk.

Awesome Miner already does most of this except for the flashing of a BIOS.  There's way too many variables in that space to automate.  Also, I'm assuming by provisioning, you mean that the Windows 10 OS already has to exist, right?  What about drivers, C++ redistributables?  What about power settings, turning off Windows Updates, etc?

Some benefits
-Should be able to manage 1000+ miners without issue
-Totally automated provisioning, useful if in a datacenter or in remote environment
-Adds blockchain drivers to the install automatically

Ah, so this is looking to be AMD only, it appears.

-Has support for multiple claymore Miners and versions, adding more in the future
-Ability to Remote Desktop Protocol
-Not cloud based, so protects your privacy by keeping everything in the local lan
-Will come preinstalled with MSI Afterburner, GPU-z, and other handy tools
-No issues with Onboard Graphics

From these points it sounds like you are developing a powershell script to adjust Windows settings and install applications.  Ok, sounds good.

Some drawbacks
-not as simple as say ethos or others
-Since it is a provisioning system as well as mining management, is has more steps to set up
-Currently for AMD GPU’s right now, will add Nvidia support in the future
-Needs 120+ SSD, not thumb drive

Nothing out of place here.

Why I am asking is I am at a stage of development that determines if I am going to make it for myself only, or develop it for use for others. I am not providing any Operating Systems, but I will provide a walkthrough and videos to help set it up. You will have to download them yourselves (Microsoft has trials), and the framework management system. Most of the setup is automatic.
Let me know if interested, or if there are any questions, thanks!

I think this basic provisioning part could be very beneficial to many.  Are you looking to charge for any portion of this?

Tell us more about the monitor and control mechanisms after the provisioning has finished?  Will there be any profit-switching capabilities?
bigjon440 (OP)

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 11:27:54 PM

Hello, here are a few answers to your questions:

"Also, I'm assuming by provisioning, you mean that the Windows 10 OS already has to exist, right?"

-No, it does not. It overwrites data and reinstalls Windows clean on bare metal, with blockchain drivers, apps, and miners ready to go.

What about drivers, C++ redistributables?  What about power settings, turning off Windows Updates, etc?
-Drivers can be installed on a as needed system, as well as any C++ or any applications as needed. Think of the mining rigs as hands off, purpose based machines as possible. Power settings can be managed, as well as Windows Updates.

Ah, so this is looking to be AMD only, it appears.
-For now, if there is interest, Nvidia support will come sooner than later.

Yes, it is PowerShell based. Monitoring can be added in the future. A method to control the miners on the different rigs is one of the cornerstones, along with deployment. There will be a charge, although I have not figured out what yet.

Amstellodamois

Activity: 182

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 11:48:17 PM

Have you benchmarked the latest AMD drivers before going with the blockchain ones?

"Monitoring" in the future is the most important part in my opinion, anyone can install Windows once per rig (especially people building 5+ rigs)...unless you provide something new like an automatic taylor-made BIOS flash + overclocking.
bigjon440 (OP)

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 12:19:18 AM

I have not tested the new drivers, I have been busy coding and testing my product. But drivers can be up to the user, so if they are not needed because of a better driver is released, then that can replace the blockchain driver.

Anyone can install Windows, true. But if you have 50 + boxes, and they have to built by hand, then that process sucks. Or if you have a life and want to do something besides install Windows. This does it for you, the same product, every time, without variation. The same thing if something happens to your rigs. You don't fix them, you reload them. Commodity software processes.

So include what kind of monitoring you would like to see in the product as well.
Amstellodamois

Activity: 182

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 12:22:30 AM

If you need to install windows on 50 rigs, you install it once, make an image and use it on all rigs.
Or you do a LAN deployment.
bigjon440 (OP)

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 12:36:52 AM

This is an imaging process, as well as a management framework. It is also deployable over the network. It does not use a golden image, it is a dynamic deployment.
puwaha

Activity: 700
Merit: 294

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 12:43:17 AM

Are you going to be using a WinPE environment to install Windows?  Driver support can be spotty for storage and network drivers in a WinPE environment.  I've managed SCCM and MDT before... it can be challenging to support some random motherboard that doesn't have NIC drivers.

What about the other motherboard drivers like Intel Chipset drivers that don't come out of the box in Windows 10?
bigjon440 (OP)

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 01:43:13 AM

Driver support will be an issue, but it can be worked through.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: