Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:21:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Trip, Around the world.  (Read 7376 times)
opticbit (OP)

Activity: 695
Merit: 502

PGP: 6EBEBCE1E0507C38

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 02:47:44 AM
Last edit: July 16, 2011, 12:01:46 AM by opticbit

I'm thinking of doing a trip around the World in the next few months, for fun, experience, networking, and helping people.

If there is intrest and support from the Bitcoin community I'll only use Bitcoins (BitBills when internet is not available).
I will blog all major activities and transactions.  If a TOR blog shows up, it must be a stalker Wink.

I'll be hitting every continent (except Antarctica).  And staying for about a week in major cities (or outlying) in the major countries along the way.  I expect this to be longer than a month (probably more than 3 months) and less than a year.  There is no set plan, and will not be one.

Biggest challenge I can think of will be getting over the ocean.
I've worked on Yachts and Planes so i have some useful experience with them.
Buddy Passes on Airlines/Cruiselines, for bitcoins anyone?  I used to know a few Ground/Flight Crew members.
or if value goes up enough, it might be a lot easier.

I'll do independent work along the way, and only accept BTC as payment.

I'll try to wear only Bitcoin branded clothing. (sponsors?) Medium size usually fits.  And maybe a few other communities like Reddit.

Might try to hand out bitcoin swag, if someone can provide something in bulk that is small light and cheap, or can quickly ship to whatever country I'm in.

I'm not very good at foreign languages, but its not too hard to get your point across using gestures, and it shouldn't be too hard to find someone who speaks english as a second language.

A friend was a tour guide who has been mostly to Australia, but also through Asia and Europe.  So I can contact him if I need to.  One of his friend's said I could couch surf in Australia any time I'm there.

I'd like to have one of my website ideas well up and running generating income for me be for I go,  I'm starting to meet some good programers, that will work cheap in the start up phase, but most are on their own projects. I might meet someone on the trip that has time and can work cheap.  Sometimes a Language Barrier and face to face makes things work better.

Anyone Know any good Trade Routes? (No Silk Road .onion type items) Just simple stuff thats cheap in one country and expensive in some other.  I used to do baggage inspection, sometimes I would see stuff going to other countries and one of the bags would be full of toothpaste or candy or something random.  Sometimes I'd see chocolate, not my responsibility so not allowed to do anything, wanted to let them know that customs would take it.  Also My dad's friends have a Convenience store/Gas Station in Costa Rica they bring different Candy down there all the time. Laptops seemed to sell for a good profit in Venezuela.  Everything was cheaper down there except electronics.

Any Suggestions on Activities?  I'm PADI advanced SCUBA certified, Student Pilot.  

Suggestions, Requests, Feedback, Other?

Edit: As suggested Wiki
http://opticbit.com/phpwiki/index.php?title=Bitcoin_Trip_Around_The_World
it is mediawiki not phpwiki

also the blog. 
http://opticbit.com/active/blog.html

Bitrated user: opticbit.
https://www.bitrated.com/opticbit

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
muyoso

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 03:04:24 AM

Do you have any clue how expensive it is to take a 3 month vacation?  Or are you going to be sleeping under bridges and cooking sewer rats and hitch hiking?

How many bitcoins do you have?  Also, the idea that you will pay for everything with bitcoins is nice, but completely unrealistic that is unless you need to eat, a place to sleep and transportation.  Also, having to work for bitcoins while overseas is a nice idea, but how do you turn that into real money and gain access to it?  Gonna take several days for the whole mtgox>Dwolla>bank account shuffle.

I drink it up!
GeniuSxBoY

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 03:05:44 AM

You'd have a better chance at getting hired to the Associate Press and doing a bitcoin story that would reach millions of people at once.

He who controls the media........

Be humble!
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 03:09:19 AM

Language barrier may be a problem especially if you are expecting to only be paid in Bitcoins.  You'll need to be able to explain what Bitcoins are and how to obtain them.... in multiple languages.  

My suggestion to you is to take some cash/travelers checks and a credit card with you just in case.  You can try to survive on Bitcoins but have some backup so you don't get stranded somewhere.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
muyoso

Activity: 84

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 03:26:56 AM

I would suggest try surviving ONLY on bitcoins for a week wherever you live.  You may find its possible, even though I highly HIGHLY doubt it.

I drink it up!
Jalum

Activity: 774

Look ARROUND!

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 03:33:06 AM

Why do you want others to bankroll your vacation?  You know you'll end up sleeping like a hobo and doing manual labor for food.  Why the bitcoin pretense?

█████████████████
         ███ ██     █     ██ ███
       ██ █████     █     █████ ██
     ███   █   █  █████  █   █   ███
   ███     █    ███ █ ███    █     ███
  ██  ███ ██ ███    █    ███ ██ ███  ██
  ██     ████       █      █████     ██
 ███   ██ █  ███    █    ███  █ ██   ███
 █ █ ██   █     ██  █  ██     █   ██ █ █
█████     █       █████       █     █████
 █ █ ██   █   ████  █  ████   █   ██ █ █
 ███   ████ ██      █      ██ ████   ███
  ██  █  █████      █      █████  █  ██
  ██ ██   ██ ████   █  ████  ██   ██ ██
   ██      █     ██████      █     ███
     ████  █   ██████████    █  ████
       ██ █████     █    ██████ ██
         ███  ██    █   ███  ███
            █████████████████
ARROUND

Telegram
ANN Thread
Bounty Thread
Whitepaper
Serith

Activity: 269
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 04:01:02 AM

Language barrier may be a problem especially if you are expecting to only be paid in Bitcoins.  You'll need to be able to explain what Bitcoins are and how to obtain them.... in multiple languages.  

My suggestion to you is to take some cash/travelers checks and a credit card with you just in case.  You can try to survive on Bitcoins but have some backup so you don't get stranded somewhere.

People on this forum speak many languages, maybe we can help to prepare detailed plan on how to get from point A to point B and contact people along the road beforehand. I speak Russian btw.
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 04:07:30 AM

Why do you want others to bankroll your vacation?  You know you'll end up sleeping like a hobo and doing manual labor for food.  Why the bitcoin pretense?

That's what we like about you, your consistent raving-hobo-in-a-back-alley tinfoil logic. This is probably how the joker got started.

As for the trip, good idea, just plan carefully. You may want to talk to plato who has taken a long road-trip for the same purpose.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
Leon

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 04:14:33 AM

Sounds very interesting, please keep us updated and good luck!
elk-tamer

Activity: 87

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 05:05:40 AM

I would plot a bitcoin friendly route before you go, and see how far you'd get in theory. Once you're on the road you'll get a few "Dancing Instuctions from God"( as Vonnegut called them) anyway.

Reacon

Activity: 25

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 05:30:00 AM

Provided you can convince people to actually accept BTC, this'll be a great way for Bitcoins to move into more markets, and spread publicity.
fennec

Activity: 76
Merit: 87

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 05:43:41 AM

This sounds like a great idea.

I will blog all major activities and transactions.

Looking forward to hearing about your progress. Best of luck mate.

Preev – simple Bitcoin converter with live exchange rates
opticbit (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 05:55:42 AM

Do you have any clue how expensive it is to take a 3 month vacation?  Or are you going to be sleeping under bridges and cooking sewer rats and hitch hiking?

How many bitcoins do you have?  Also, the idea that you will pay for everything with bitcoins is nice, but completely unrealistic that is unless you need to eat, a place to sleep and transportation.  Also, having to work for bitcoins while overseas is a nice idea, but how do you turn that into real money and gain access to it?  Gonna take several days for the whole mtgox>Dwolla>bank account shuffle.

3 month vacation?  I haven't worked a normal job for 18 months.

Its easy to live cheap, but good, once you force yourself.

I have very few bitcoins right now, in the down trend i'm converting cash to BTC
on the uptrend I will start my trip.

Why would I get paid in BTC only to Transfer to a US bank, to Convert back to BTC.

opticbit (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 05:56:26 AM
Last edit: July 13, 2011, 06:50:19 AM by opticbit

You'd have a better chance at getting hired to the Associate Press and doing a bitcoin story that would reach millions of people at once.

He who controls the media........

Nope, I'm a horrible writer.  You can ask my any of my English teachers up through College. 
Although I tested into English Honors in High School, And tested well in the Statewide Standardized Tests (Golden State Exams). but failed the class, had to goto summer school and failed that one too, Long story.

Superform

Activity: 56

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 05:57:57 AM

you can crash at my place for 5btc per night
opticbit (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 06:05:57 AM
Last edit: July 15, 2011, 10:17:49 PM by opticbit

Why do you want others to bankroll your vacation?  You know you'll end up sleeping like a hobo and doing manual labor for food.  Why the bitcoin pretense?

I didn't say anything about getting others to bankroll or donate.
although it would be nice, It is doubtful I'll get any substantial amount per day.

Support can be given in many ways.  Notice I mentioned Buddy Passes for Bitcoins.  Tickets will be quite expensive, and almost impossible to buy with BTC, but I'm sure someone out there works for an Airline and could get me some buddy passes in exchange for BTC.  I might be able to convince a friend in the airline industry to get me a buddy pass for bitcoins.  

I know people that work for the following airlines, Delta/Northwest, US, United, Continental.  Last time I needed a buddy pass it was $150 to anywhere in the US.  I don't remember how much for international.  One Airline friend to International trips regularly with Flight Benefits.  I don't know about the Cruise Line industry, I've only known one person that has worked on one.  However Getting My friends to even look at BTC has been difficult.

However on second thought why wouldn't someone want a Community to Bankroll a Vacation for them.

opticbit (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 06:08:07 AM

I'll have a small backup.

my phone will be loaded with some videos, and language dictionaries.  And Google translate if I have Wifi Access or GSM.

I'll be picking up a solar powered Backpack.

opticbit (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 06:10:58 AM

People on this forum speak many languages, maybe we can help to prepare detailed plan on how to get from point A to point B and contact people along the road beforehand. I speak Russian btw.

Thanks, the first constructive comment in the forum.

useful bitcoin phrases would be a good topic and then have some people who are fluent in a language translate them.

I like to think of the non constructive as playing devil advocate.

opticbit (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 06:13:56 AM

I would suggest try surviving ONLY on bitcoins for a week wherever you live.  You may find its possible, even though I highly HIGHLY doubt it.

I find it awkward to try something new in some place your comfortable.

if a store won't accept them I'll be searching near by, but won't waste to much time on searching for a store to take them.  I think it would be much better to wait for a customer who will accept Bitcoins to buy something for me.  I believe Plato had to get many people to buy gas for him, or use his gas card bought with BTC.

opticbit (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 06:14:59 AM
Last edit: July 13, 2011, 06:35:04 AM by opticbit

Why do you want others to bankroll your vacation?  You know you'll end up sleeping like a hobo and doing manual labor for food.  Why the bitcoin pretense?

That's what we like about you, your consistent raving-hobo-in-a-back-alley tinfoil logic. This is probably how the joker got started.

As for the trip, good idea, just plan carefully. You may want to talk to plato who has taken a long road-trip for the same purpose.

Yes I met Plato in SF.  I had thought of doing a trip, befor we met, but I wasn't thinking of going around the world till the other night when I had the thought that I haven't seen enough of the world.  And look forward to his comments in here.

opticbit (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 06:20:19 AM

Sounds very interesting, please keep us updated and good luck!

Already it looks it is getting some interest.  I won't be starting my trip for atleast a few weeks and probably a couple months.
I will post a new thread when it starts.  I think I'll be useing my established twitter FB and so on accounts.  I might set up new accounts with a relavent name.

opticbit (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 06:22:32 AM

Provided you can convince people to actually accept BTC, this'll be a great way for Bitcoins to move into more markets, and spread publicity.

I hope so too.

opticbit (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 06:31:12 AM

you can crash at my place for 5btc per night

I was hopeing to find some places a little cheaper.  While I like nice things, I'm trying to keep things cheap, unless I somehow get a large sum of btc.  Most hotels I've stayed at across the country have been in the 20-60 USD per night.  5BTC at the current exchange is roughly 70 usd.  I think some Hostels are starting to Take BTC.  Have a friend at Hilton Hotels too.

opticbit (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 06:55:08 AM

I would plot a bitcoin friendly route before you go, and see how far you'd get in theory. Once you're on the road you'll get a few "Dancing Instuctions from God"( as Vonnegut called them) anyway.

Had to google that one.  At first I was thinking Hitchiking with Vogons and 42, but the quote didn't sound like the 2nd worst poetry in the galaxy.

kostia

Activity: 16

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 08:58:07 AM

Interesting idea.

I got a friend in Moscow who run a hostel, if you need I will contact him - he will accept bitcoins, rates in his place are cheap by Moscow standards.

Also I can help you in Thailand, mainly in koh Phangan island. It's a nice island for partying, very unlike for example Pattya. I'm one of the team that makes koh Phangan booking website, phangan1.com , we can accept bitcoin for bungalow/hotel/villa bookings, and for any of the places listed on our website you will be able to put bitcoins on a hotel tab to pay for the restaurant.
opticbit (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 09:11:02 AM

Interesting idea.

I got a friend in Moscow who run a hostel, if you need I will contact him - he will accept bitcoins, rates in his place are cheap by Moscow standards.

Also I can help you in Thailand, mainly in koh Phangan island. It's a nice island for partying, very unlike for example Pattya. I'm one of the team that makes koh Phangan booking website, phangan1.com , we can accept bitcoin for bungalow/hotel/villa bookings, and for any of the places listed on our website you will be able to put bitcoins on a hotel tab to pay for the restaurant.

Looks Like I'll have to check out Red Cube, Moon Paradise and First Villa.

Yes Let me know about Moscow prices.

On check in I'll be posting photos, and a link,

not sure what I'll use for my central posting location, probably http://opticbit.com/active/blog.html

opticbit (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 09:48:51 AM
Last edit: July 13, 2011, 10:02:52 AM by opticbit

Anyone go through Customs with bitcoin? -  Are you Carrying More than $10K? I think thats on about Cash though for US.  Any other countries more strict?

I expect to have under 10k, but it would be nice to have more by the time I go.

I've been through customs a few times in the past so I'm not too concerned, but you never know when they will miss understand something and decide to make an example out of someone. and things have changed since last time i went through.

Also wiping the storage devices clean, and doing a fresh install of Lion, and Gingerbread.

ptshamrock

Activity: 484

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 10:44:44 AM

when u come to bavaria u can stay at my place for a few days and watch my 15ghash rig Cheesy u can pay me in btc but dont need much..just symbolic Cheesy

EDIT:

it`s a pretty cool place directly in munich !

"Money needs to be depoliticized, and the time has come for the separation of money and state to be accomplished."
wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1001

Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 10:47:23 AM

Anyone go through Customs with bitcoin? -  Are you Carrying More than $10K? I think thats on about Cash though for US.  Any other countries more strict?
I wouldn't take any chances: use an online wallet service or encrypted wallets on some online storage provider.
That way you would never need to "carry" a significant amount of BTC with you.

Apart from that: great idea with the trip!

I suggest setting up a wiki where everybody can enter places where you can stay, eat or get transported for Bitcoins. You can then plan your route accordingly and we can help you finding local people in areas where you could run into problems (Bitcoin-wise). The forum isn't very well suited for such a task.

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
TELEGRAM     BITCOINTALK     FACEBOOK
MEDIUM    SLACK    TWITTER    YOUTUBE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   E M A I L   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
RogerR

Activity: 102

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 10:50:32 AM

Anyone go through Customs with bitcoin? -  Are you Carrying More than $10K? I think thats on about Cash though for US.  Any other countries more strict?

I expect to have under 10k, but it would be nice to have more by the time I go.

I've been through customs a few times in the past so I'm not too concerned, but you never know when they will miss understand something and decide to make an example out of someone. and things have changed since last time i went through.

Also wiping the storage devices clean, and doing a fresh install of Lion, and Gingerbread.

Well, apart from the fact that it should be extremely difficult for customs to check up on your bitcoin wallet (if you keep it well-hidden and encrypted), you could always argue that since your bitcoins' credibility needs to be established by the network, it is the transaction history within the network that holds your net worth, not your e-wallet. Grin But even if this doesn't hold - what's stopping you from receiving more or less small transfers on the road? Just send your bitcoins to a wallet on a home server before you cross the border and program it to send it back upon request. Ooohh, so many nasty things one can do here. Grin Grin

But I like the general idea. I'm flying from Germany to the States to China myself next month - hoping to promote BTC and perhaps hit some bitcoin meetups along the way!

Btw - do enjoy your trip. But if you plan on going public with this story, you should keep it as professional as possible. What bitcoin needs is credibility, not some half-baked promotion that could easily be run as a story against us.
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 11:52:18 AM

Much Negative tought in this thread.

It all depends on the attitude and how bad you want anything. If you want to travel around the world using bitcoins, I say it's not impossible, but it's not easy either. I think you will find people in most countries willing to trade stuff for BTC. Also if you hold an online diary telling where you go, and get some attention on the bitcoin show with bruce wagner as well, I am sure people would be willing to help out.

However I think it would be good to have a credit card or fiat money for backup in case a meeting with a bitcoiner did not go as planned, so you won't have to starve. But it should be only used as a last resort.

Good luck! Anything is possible when you set your mind to it 100%!
opticbit (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 12:11:03 PM

Well, apart from the fact that it should be extremely difficult for customs to check up on your bitcoin wallet (if you keep it well-hidden and encrypted), you could always argue that since your bitcoins' credibility needs to be established by the network, it is the transaction history within the network that holds your net worth, not your e-wallet. Grin But even if this doesn't hold - what's stopping you from receiving more or less small transfers on the road? Just send your bitcoins to a wallet on a home server before you cross the border and program it to send it back upon request. Ooohh, so many nasty things one can do here. Grin Grin

But I like the general idea. I'm flying from Germany to the States to China myself next month - hoping to promote BTC and perhaps hit some bitcoin meetups along the way!

Btw - do enjoy your trip. But if you plan on going public with this story, you should keep it as professional as possible. What bitcoin needs is credibility, not some half-baked promotion that could easily be run as a story against us.

I've heard they were planning on checking/copying the contents of people's drives, I guess that one got thrown out, or someone realized how unreasonable that would be.  Or its only done to a very small number of people, that have some type of bad history.

And yes I'll be diversified, so it won't all be on the usb key.

Not sure what to do about going public.  Everything is out in the open.  I don't have any real press contacts, and don't plan on any.  I have no major backing so it is sort of half-baked, but I won't be doing anything that could be used against the community.  I'm a fairly quiet calm person, worked for the Gov that had a bunch of rules I tended to follow naturally- the ones that make for a professional appearance, not the restrictive rules, don't want to get into that.

Thanks and enjoy your trip, maybe we'll meet at a meet up.

opticbit (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 12:19:13 PM

Much Negative tought in this thread.

It all depends on the attitude and how bad you want anything. If you want to travel around the world using bitcoins, I say it's not impossible, but it's not easy either. I think you will find people in most countries willing to trade stuff for BTC. Also if you hold an online diary telling where you go, and get some attention on the bitcoin show with bruce wagner as well, I am sure people would be willing to help out.

However I think it would be good to have a credit card or fiat money for backup in case a meeting with a bitcoiner did not go as planned, so you won't have to starve. But it should be only used as a last resort.

Good luck! Anything is possible when you set your mind to it 100%!

Thanks.  I will be carrying a Visa, MC, and AMEX.  Diversity is very important.  I was in Venezuela and needed some cash, where I was wouldn't take Visa, but they took MC.  I'll have some USD on me, maybe I should pick up some Euros and Gold?

and yes I'll have a Blog of whats happend and whats next.

cartman

Activity: 48

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 12:36:35 PM

In my opinion this is a great idea!

I could probably offer a place to sleep and warm lunch in switzerland, but generally buying basic food, using bus/train here is always very expensive, so there may be better places to go for you. I would strongly recommend ptshamrocks offer to stay in munich. Munich is a great place and it is possible to live really cheap. Although I dont know, where to pay with bitcoin yet.
For travelling from one bigger city to another I would recommend to use portals like www.mitfahrgelegenheit.de (Literally: travel-with-oppotunity) Maybe someone can name some non-european equivalents.
There you can (early) setup a request, that you are looking for someone driving from A to B with his car and add a note, that you only pay in bitcoin. I think it is possible to find someone because within a period of a few days, there are a few dozens of "travel-with-opportunities" between big cities, mostly young males, so maybe there is some bitcoiner as well. Usually this is much cheaper than train or something else, for example 5h trip Munich-Bern 25 Euro. Of course you could also hitchhike.

I will follow the thread a little, maybe I have some more ideas when you can tell more about your plans (e.g. which cities you want to stay in)

cheers
opticbit (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 08:14:06 PM
Last edit: July 15, 2011, 10:24:53 PM by opticbit

In my opinion this is a great idea!

I could probably offer a place to sleep and warm lunch in switzerland, but generally buying basic food, using bus/train here is always very expensive, so there may be better places to go for you. I would strongly recommend ptshamrocks offer to stay in munich. Munich is a great place and it is possible to live really cheap. Although I dont know, where to pay with bitcoin yet.
For travelling from one bigger city to another I would recommend to use portals like www.mitfahrgelegenheit.de (Literally: travel-with-oppotunity) Maybe someone can name some non-european equivalents.
There you can (early) setup a request, that you are looking for someone driving from A to B with his car and add a note, that you only pay in bitcoin. I think it is possible to find someone because within a period of a few days, there are a few dozens of "travel-with-opportunities" between big cities, mostly young males, so maybe there is some bitcoiner as well. Usually this is much cheaper than train or something else, for example 5h trip Munich-Bern 25 Euro. Of course you could also hitchhike.

I will follow the thread a little, maybe I have some more ideas when you can tell more about your plans (e.g. which cities you want to stay in)

cheers

Thanks I'll have to try mitfahrgelegenheit.de

I'm not sure what  cities I'll be going through, I have some places I'd like to see, but I'm more interested in where I end up going, due to the path of least resistance in bitcoin.

I'd like to be sure to go through the countries more well known to americans
Australia, Japan, Korea, Vietnam, Thailand, Philippines, China, India, Russia, Poland, Dubai, Germany, France, Spain, UK. Sweeden  Brazil, Argentina, Peru, Panama, Costa Rica, then come back up through Mexico.

Eastern Europe, Western Russia and the middle east has changed quite a bit since I studied geography, not sure where I want to go.  Also want to try some place in the middle east but not sure about safety in those areas.  Also with the War still active not sure where would be safest.  Dubai is the only place I know of that seems safe.  I think Dubai could be cost prohibitive though.

Africa seems like it will be difficult. I've got the impression that it is mostly desert, undeveloped, and rarely traveld. I feel that many places could be so poor, that it would be expensive to travel through, and other places could be dangerous for an American.  I've met someone who's parents Are Dr.s that permanently went to South Africa to do Charitable services.  I would like to check out South Africa, and learn some more about other places in Africa.  Current Political activities also concern me- Places Like Egypt, I'd like to visit, but not sure what is going on.  Then to add the Bitcoin complication of going through Africa.  I have heard stories of the Locals being very welcoming to strange new people, but have also heard of cannibals.

I'll be traveling mostly on land, but expect to have to fly/Cruise US West Coast to Asia/Australia, at some point fly to South Africa, or skip South Africa and stick to some place in northern Africa.  Then a Flight to South America from Europe, or Africa.
I'd like to go on atleast one Cruise, Could be interesting.

BitcoinPorn

Activity: 630

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 08:21:16 PM

+1 support for this idea, seems neat.

Jalum

Activity: 774

Look ARROUND!

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 08:27:10 PM

Thanks.  I will be carrying a Visa, MC, and AMEX.  Diversity is very important.  I was in Venezuela and needed some cash, where I was wouldn't take Visa, but they took MC.  I'll have some USD on me, maybe I should pick up some Euros and Gold?

Why would you bring physical gold?  Are you going to shave off a sliver to pay for your meal?  Nothing about your trip seems well thought out.

█████████████████
         ███ ██     █     ██ ███
       ██ █████     █     █████ ██
     ███   █   █  █████  █   █   ███
   ███     █    ███ █ ███    █     ███
  ██  ███ ██ ███    █    ███ ██ ███  ██
  ██     ████       █      █████     ██
 ███   ██ █  ███    █    ███  █ ██   ███
 █ █ ██   █     ██  █  ██     █   ██ █ █
█████     █       █████       █     █████
 █ █ ██   █   ████  █  ████   █   ██ █ █
 ███   ████ ██      █      ██ ████   ███
  ██  █  █████      █      █████  █  ██
  ██ ██   ██ ████   █  ████  ██   ██ ██
   ██      █     ██████      █     ███
     ████  █   ██████████    █  ████
       ██ █████     █    ██████ ██
         ███  ██    █   ███  ███
            █████████████████
ARROUND

Telegram
ANN Thread
Bounty Thread
Whitepaper
aandreas

Activity: 116

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 08:42:15 PM

i don´t want to dissapoint u, but that route seems hard with 10k... anyhow, if u make it to germany, and need a bed near frankfurt, pm me..
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 08:44:41 PM

Why would you bring physical gold?  Are you going to shave off a sliver to pay for your meal?  Nothing about your trip seems well thought out.

Troll Grade: C+

You did the requisite baiting with the 'bashing of payment choices', but you really fell short on the last bit. I know you can do better. I realize you aren't out of troll preparatory academy just yet.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 08:54:59 PM

Bullion is sold in amounts as small as 1/10th of an ounce.  While that's quite a bit to pay for a meal, it's small enough to cover other expenses such as travel and lodging.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
BitcoinPorn

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 09:00:45 PM

Troll Grade: C+

You did the requisite baiting with the 'bashing of payment choices', but you really fell short on the last bit. I know you can do better. I realize you aren't out of troll preparatory academy just yet.

After seeing his work, I have to agree.   But I have seen his full potential in a thread today.  He will be awesome for the forum if he stays around, weeds out a lot of random bs and / or makes it entertaining to read.

RandyFolds

Activity: 448

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 09:57:17 PM

Bullion is sold in amounts as small as 1/10th of an ounce.  While that's quite a bit to pay for a meal, it's small enough to cover other expenses such as travel and lodging.

Bullion is also plucked off your bruised and bleeding body in the back alley where you were just robbed, and will most certainly buy you a good time with any customs officers you may encounter.

I would skip the bullion. Too sketchy...but diversity of assets is good.

You've got a place to stay in Los Angeles if you need it. The trip sounds awesome.
opticbit (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2011, 01:59:24 AM

I'm still thinking about it thats why we're discussing it.

RandyFolds

Activity: 448

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 02:58:17 AM

I'm still thinking about it thats why we're discussing it.

You will get sooooo jammed up by customs if they find undeclared gold (you will get jammed up if you declare anything, but gold?). You sound like you're well traveled...customs is not somewhere to screw up, nor is it the most transparent entity in most countries. That hunk of gold is more than likely going home in that officer's pocket than with you to your next destination. How would you ever prove it existed, really?

Everything else sounds like a fair plan. Like I said, if you pass through LA, PM me. I've got a buddy that hitch-hiked and ambled from Tuscon to Colombia, where I met him and sailed to North Carolina. I should maybe get you in touch with him. He knew how to travel on the cheap.
opticbit (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2011, 04:06:18 AM

You will get sooooo jammed up by customs if they find undeclared gold (you will get jammed up if you declare anything, but gold?). You sound like you're well traveled...customs is not somewhere to screw up, nor is it the most transparent entity in most countries. That hunk of gold is more than likely going home in that officer's pocket than with you to your next destination. How would you ever prove it existed, really?

Everything else sounds like a fair plan. Like I said, if you pass through LA, PM me. I've got a buddy that hitch-hiked and ambled from Tuscon to Colombia, where I met him and sailed to North Carolina. I should maybe get you in touch with him. He knew how to travel on the cheap.

I never traveld with gold, and I've rarely seen people traveling with gold, other than jewelry.

Love to hear some stories.  Thanks for the offer in L.A.  I'm in SF right now.  Used to know lots of people in OC.

finnthecelt

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 02:05:36 PM

I think this is a good idea and should be supported. I also think that we should all give as much support as we can, financially and in terms of basic necessities (shelter, food). I do agree with another poster though that it should be a professional, well document trip.

That would require you to wear BTC swag everywhere you went and must be represented in every photo ever taken of you!!   Grin

I found this thread looking for info before I started another thread. Something is happening right now that I want to bring to everyone's attention. Maybe it's already out there so if it is please alert me.

You are all probably aware of the PayPay road trip? There's an excellent story linked from Bitcoin Watch here: http://www.bitcoinmoney.com/post/7542341527/paypal-digital-currency-challenge

PayPal is attempting to trump Plato's road trip in an egregious yet subtle way. I didn't put much thought into it initially until I realized they were using the words "digital currency". Obviously this is propaganda warfare and therefore we must pick up our axes (or any other weapon of choice, mine's the keyboard!).

If they can get enough media attention directed towards this (and you know the "establishment" will support them) they can bump Plato's story down the list significantly on any major search engine out there.

Anyone who types "digital currency" in Google will find Paypal, not BTC. I think this is their goal.

We need to support ideas like the OP has and get Plato's trip out there a little more. Hey maybe we create a Pilgramage Route for others to follow!!! Tell me that wouldn't get news!! Cheesy

I'm going to start another thread with this and cut and paste most of this..... Please add to the discussion....
BitcoinPorn

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2011, 02:07:31 PM

I found this thread looking for info before I started another thread. Something is happening right now that I want to bring to everyone's attention. Maybe it's already out there so if it is please alert me.

You are all probably aware of the PayPay road trip? There's an excellent story linked from Bitcoin Watch here: http://www.bitcoinmoney.com/post/7542341527/paypal-digital-currency-challenge

PayPal is attempting to trump Plato's road trip in an egregious yet subtle way. I didn't put much thought into it initially until I realized they were using the words "digital currency". Obviously this is propaganda warfare and therefore we must pick up our axes (or any other weapon of choice, mine's the keyboard!).

If they can get enough media attention directed towards this (and you know the "establishment" will support them) they can bump Plato's story down the list significantly on any major search engine out there.

Anyone who types "digital currency" in Google will find Paypal, not BTC. I think this is their goal.

Little do they know Bitcoin has the power of geeks and I know for a fact, only because I see their work, a lot of SEO's.     People definitely need to be made aware though I think.

philipk

Activity: 28

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 02:28:38 PM

My girlfriend cooks gourmet vegan cuisine.

Will cook you an awesome meal, beer, & dessert for 1BC.

We live in London, Ontario.

Will be living in Guelph Ontario next year.

philipk

Activity: 28

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 02:30:51 PM

Also have 'Silk Road' style 'Greens' for BitCoin.
neofutur

Activity: 146

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 05:05:40 PM

If you come to Peru, I live in Cusco, the city near machu-pichu , message me here on on the IRC if needed.
opticbit (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2011, 08:51:33 PM

I think this is a good idea and should be supported. I also think that we should all give as much support as we can, financially and in terms of basic necessities (shelter, food). I do agree with another poster though that it should be a professional, well document trip.

That would require you to wear BTC swag everywhere you went and must be represented in every photo ever taken of you!!   Grin

We need to support ideas like the OP has and get Plato's trip out there a little more. Hey maybe we create a Pilgramage Route for others to follow!!! Tell me that wouldn't get news!! Cheesy

I'm going to start another thread with this and cut and paste most of this..... Please add to the discussion....

The More support I get the More Professional I can be.

opticbit (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2011, 08:57:01 PM
Last edit: July 15, 2011, 09:58:34 PM by opticbit

My girlfriend cooks gourmet vegan cuisine.

Will cook you an awesome meal, beer, & dessert for 1BC.

We live in London, Ontario.

Will be living in Guelph Ontario next year.

Sounds good.

I should mention I have some rare food requirements... I have Crohn's Disease, its mild, and no longer need medication.  Natural Food is the best thing for me, with the exception of Beans, Spices and Caffeine.

finnthecelt

Activity: 140

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 08:59:16 PM

The More support I get the More Professional I can be.

Well I'll help where I can. I have a friend in Australia you can stay with and family in NZ. If the wiki/blog thing takes off you can start plotting places where you'll be welcome and chart a course. From there you should be able to start accepting BTC donations and projecting costs and what not.
opticbit (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2011, 09:08:07 PM

Well I'll help where I can. I have a friend in Australia you can stay with and family in NZ. If the wiki/blog thing takes off you can start plotting places where you'll be welcome and chart a course. From there you should be able to start accepting BTC donations and projecting costs and what not.

That reminds me, I should post on the Blog opticbit.com/active/blog.html (wordpress).

also I'd like to see a OperationFabulous wordpress pluggin, Currently I have Google Ad-sense in there, Of course I will convert my adsense ad revenue to BTC before spending, theres a few other income sources I'll be converting, currently very low amounts.

opticbit (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2011, 09:31:30 PM

Anyone go through Customs with bitcoin? -  Are you Carrying More than $10K? I think thats on about Cash though for US.  Any other countries more strict?
I wouldn't take any chances: use an online wallet service or encrypted wallets on some online storage provider.
That way you would never need to "carry" a significant amount of BTC with you.

Apart from that: great idea with the trip!

I suggest setting up a wiki where everybody can enter places where you can stay, eat or get transported for Bitcoins. You can then plan your route accordingly and we can help you finding local people in areas where you could run into problems (Bitcoin-wise). The forum isn't very well suited for such a task.

I have a Wiki already set up for a different purpose, It hasn't gotten much attention, so I will add a section for this trip.

opticbit (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2011, 09:54:33 PM

Also have 'Silk Road' style 'Greens' for BitCoin.

I'm not sure of a proper response at the moment.  
I don't participate in everything thats green, I do however wish those who do responsibly, be able to with out hassel.
could also be profitable but risky.
perhaps "When in Rome" (Amsterdam)
Beyond this, No Comment.

opticbit (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2011, 12:59:54 AM

media wiki page set up.

for the first week no need to register.

after that you need set up a user name and solve a captcha.  If this limits the activity, and there are no bots, I'll open it up again for a month.  My main wiki page is locked to admin, I get lots of bots, and a few can solve a captcha.

opticbit (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2011, 02:06:52 AM

Looks like atleast one other trip is in the works

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/ihqzf/im_planning_on_going_around_the_world_spending/

AppDeveloper and CaptainQuint.

ApDeveloper plans to write a book.  I think CaptainQuint is joking, haven't looked into it much.

murraysdaddy is Obviously joking (for the next few years anyway) http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=29073.msg367884#msg367884

opticbit (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2011, 07:12:32 AM

I have a bitcoin shirt, it says "trust me I'm Satoshi Nakamoto" on the front, with a tux holding bitcoin,  backside, it says "all your bitcoins are belong to wallet.dat" with a picture of I bitcoin and a mining pick ax.  I'm currently at a flash mob -donny osmand's at cesars palace.  Might be in a few videos.

bitdragon

Activity: 609
Merit: 501

peace

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2011, 08:15:36 AM

couchsurfing.com and hospitalityclub.org for lodging worldwide_ at least that is my plan.
you can come along with a 1BTC gift, or some bitbills.

I'll be making a trip myself pretty soon, Norway, China, Cambodia, Thailand and a few in between.
You can bet I will be wearing my bitcoin apparel proudly. My humble savings are in Bitcoins currently, so one way or another my purchases will be with bitcoins albeit exchanging them for cash along the way and  offering to pay in BTC as much as possible.

I say 100% payment in bitcoins seems quite a challenge but where is the limit... Go for it with all your mind body and soul.

We could get the weusecoins.com video translated in a variety of languages through http://www.voices.com/languages/ (how about all of them? it's going to be done at some point anyway) to have some material. Get small merchants along the way to accept bitcoins and in exchange get them advertised on the forum or a wiki to reach worldwide customers who will buy in a heartbeat  Smiley

I could see you in a picture with a restaurant/shop owner wearing his new bitcoin tshirt Wink Printed and framed on the wall. "My first bitcoin customer"

exciting times, this is going to rock Smiley

opticbit (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2011, 07:59:53 PM

just realized an opportunity for profits... Spreading Iphones around the world.  Although I'd prefer to bring OpenMoko, And RepRap, MeshNetworking and other open projects...

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/16/iphone-4s-debuts-in-over-20-new-countries-pricing-starts-as-high-as-1400/.

I might start the trip off, by driving to Brasil, could be an interesting trip.

Need Honda White Nav DVD for Central and South America.

Activity: 756

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 05:56:19 PM

is there a picture of a bitbill?

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2012, 08:39:55 PM

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
glub0x
Legendary

Activity: 892
Merit: 1013

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 03:45:51 AM

I'm going around in brazil too until febuary...
I'd love to pay you (or anyone) some caipi against bitcoins if you ever manage to meet me!
I'll be in amazonia until mid october, then i'll go down to be arround Salvador for new year and then go down to be in Rio for February.
If you want to try to meet, just PM me Smiley

The cost of mediation increases transaction costs, limiting the
minimum practical transaction size and cutting off the possibility for small casual transactions

Satoshi Nakamoto : https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
opticbit (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 12:49:57 AM

is there a picture of a bitbill?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-lIFPCuq6UGY/TdHezwdF23I/AAAAAAAAB4Y/zg1ckADfJV0/s1600/bitbill.jpg

I have one in my pocket, picture is not mine.  along with a few casascius coins too.

I was hopping I'd be able to save my btc, and spend them on a trip, however I've been spending them more than earning them lately (cash out).

Currently On hold in Las Vegas untill I build up a decent savings, and income.

kwoody

Activity: 454

Technology and Women. Amazing.

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 02:46:13 AM

localbitcoins.com may be your salvation for this venture if you intend to sustain yourself using nothing but bitcoins. Maybe make a map of reputable local exchanges that'd be willing to help you out on your journey? Kinda like plotting a route on a map. Having global users who are willing to trade in BTC will make or break the trip. Most people who use BTC are good and friendly people, here's to hoping you have couches to crash on throughout the duration.

Good luck!

Activity: 756

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 08:38:32 PM

localbitcoins.com may be your salvation for this venture if you intend to sustain yourself using nothing but bitcoins. Maybe make a map of reputable local exchanges that'd be willing to help you out on your journey? Kinda like plotting a route on a map. Having global users who are willing to trade in BTC will make or break the trip. Most people who use BTC are good and friendly people, here's to hoping you have couches to crash on throughout the duration.

Good luck!

I'm in SoCal

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: