Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:58:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Trip, Around the world.  (Read 7375 times)
opticbit (OP)

Activity: 695
Merit: 502

PGP: 6EBEBCE1E0507C38

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 02:47:44 AM
Last edit: July 16, 2011, 12:01:46 AM by opticbit

I'm thinking of doing a trip around the World in the next few months, for fun, experience, networking, and helping people.

If there is intrest and support from the Bitcoin community I'll only use Bitcoins (BitBills when internet is not available).
I will blog all major activities and transactions.  If a TOR blog shows up, it must be a stalker Wink.

I'll be hitting every continent (except Antarctica).  And staying for about a week in major cities (or outlying) in the major countries along the way.  I expect this to be longer than a month (probably more than 3 months) and less than a year.  There is no set plan, and will not be one.

Biggest challenge I can think of will be getting over the ocean.
I've worked on Yachts and Planes so i have some useful experience with them.
Buddy Passes on Airlines/Cruiselines, for bitcoins anyone?  I used to know a few Ground/Flight Crew members.
or if value goes up enough, it might be a lot easier.

I'll do independent work along the way, and only accept BTC as payment.

I'll try to wear only Bitcoin branded clothing. (sponsors?) Medium size usually fits.  And maybe a few other communities like Reddit.

Might try to hand out bitcoin swag, if someone can provide something in bulk that is small light and cheap, or can quickly ship to whatever country I'm in.

I'm not very good at foreign languages, but its not too hard to get your point across using gestures, and it shouldn't be too hard to find someone who speaks english as a second language.

A friend was a tour guide who has been mostly to Australia, but also through Asia and Europe.  So I can contact him if I need to.  One of his friend's said I could couch surf in Australia any time I'm there.

I'd like to have one of my website ideas well up and running generating income for me be for I go,  I'm starting to meet some good programers, that will work cheap in the start up phase, but most are on their own projects. I might meet someone on the trip that has time and can work cheap.  Sometimes a Language Barrier and face to face makes things work better.

Anyone Know any good Trade Routes? (No Silk Road .onion type items) Just simple stuff thats cheap in one country and expensive in some other.  I used to do baggage inspection, sometimes I would see stuff going to other countries and one of the bags would be full of toothpaste or candy or something random.  Sometimes I'd see chocolate, not my responsibility so not allowed to do anything, wanted to let them know that customs would take it.  Also My dad's friends have a Convenience store/Gas Station in Costa Rica they bring different Candy down there all the time. Laptops seemed to sell for a good profit in Venezuela.  Everything was cheaper down there except electronics.

Any Suggestions on Activities?  I'm PADI advanced SCUBA certified, Student Pilot.  

Suggestions, Requests, Feedback, Other?

Edit: As suggested Wiki
http://opticbit.com/phpwiki/index.php?title=Bitcoin_Trip_Around_The_World
it is mediawiki not phpwiki

also the blog. 
http://opticbit.com/active/blog.html

Bitrated user: opticbit.
https://www.bitrated.com/opticbit

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
muyoso

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 03:04:24 AM

Do you have any clue how expensive it is to take a 3 month vacation?  Or are you going to be sleeping under bridges and cooking sewer rats and hitch hiking?

How many bitcoins do you have?  Also, the idea that you will pay for everything with bitcoins is nice, but completely unrealistic that is unless you need to eat, a place to sleep and transportation.  Also, having to work for bitcoins while overseas is a nice idea, but how do you turn that into real money and gain access to it?  Gonna take several days for the whole mtgox>Dwolla>bank account shuffle.

I drink it up!
GeniuSxBoY

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 03:05:44 AM

You'd have a better chance at getting hired to the Associate Press and doing a bitcoin story that would reach millions of people at once.

He who controls the media........

Be humble!
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 03:09:19 AM

Language barrier may be a problem especially if you are expecting to only be paid in Bitcoins.  You'll need to be able to explain what Bitcoins are and how to obtain them.... in multiple languages.  

My suggestion to you is to take some cash/travelers checks and a credit card with you just in case.  You can try to survive on Bitcoins but have some backup so you don't get stranded somewhere.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
muyoso

Activity: 84

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 03:26:56 AM

I would suggest try surviving ONLY on bitcoins for a week wherever you live.  You may find its possible, even though I highly HIGHLY doubt it.

I drink it up!
Jalum

Activity: 774

Look ARROUND!

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 03:33:06 AM

Why do you want others to bankroll your vacation?  You know you'll end up sleeping like a hobo and doing manual labor for food.  Why the bitcoin pretense?

█████████████████
         ███ ██     █     ██ ███
       ██ █████     █     █████ ██
     ███   █   █  █████  █   █   ███
   ███     █    ███ █ ███    █     ███
  ██  ███ ██ ███    █    ███ ██ ███  ██
  ██     ████       █      █████     ██
 ███   ██ █  ███    █    ███  █ ██   ███
 █ █ ██   █     ██  █  ██     █   ██ █ █
█████     █       █████       █     █████
 █ █ ██   █   ████  █  ████   █   ██ █ █
 ███   ████ ██      █      ██ ████   ███
  ██  █  █████      █      █████  █  ██
  ██ ██   ██ ████   █  ████  ██   ██ ██
   ██      █     ██████      █     ███
     ████  █   ██████████    █  ████
       ██ █████     █    ██████ ██
         ███  ██    █   ███  ███
            █████████████████
ARROUND

Telegram
ANN Thread
Bounty Thread
Whitepaper
Serith

Activity: 269
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 04:01:02 AM

Language barrier may be a problem especially if you are expecting to only be paid in Bitcoins.  You'll need to be able to explain what Bitcoins are and how to obtain them.... in multiple languages.  

My suggestion to you is to take some cash/travelers checks and a credit card with you just in case.  You can try to survive on Bitcoins but have some backup so you don't get stranded somewhere.

People on this forum speak many languages, maybe we can help to prepare detailed plan on how to get from point A to point B and contact people along the road beforehand. I speak Russian btw.
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 04:07:30 AM

Why do you want others to bankroll your vacation?  You know you'll end up sleeping like a hobo and doing manual labor for food.  Why the bitcoin pretense?

That's what we like about you, your consistent raving-hobo-in-a-back-alley tinfoil logic. This is probably how the joker got started.

As for the trip, good idea, just plan carefully. You may want to talk to plato who has taken a long road-trip for the same purpose.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
Leon

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 04:14:33 AM

Sounds very interesting, please keep us updated and good luck!
elk-tamer

Activity: 87

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 05:05:40 AM

I would plot a bitcoin friendly route before you go, and see how far you'd get in theory. Once you're on the road you'll get a few "Dancing Instuctions from God"( as Vonnegut called them) anyway.

Reacon

Activity: 25

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 05:30:00 AM

Provided you can convince people to actually accept BTC, this'll be a great way for Bitcoins to move into more markets, and spread publicity.
fennec

Activity: 76
Merit: 87

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 05:43:41 AM

This sounds like a great idea.

I will blog all major activities and transactions.

Looking forward to hearing about your progress. Best of luck mate.

Preev – simple Bitcoin converter with live exchange rates
opticbit (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 05:55:42 AM

Do you have any clue how expensive it is to take a 3 month vacation?  Or are you going to be sleeping under bridges and cooking sewer rats and hitch hiking?

How many bitcoins do you have?  Also, the idea that you will pay for everything with bitcoins is nice, but completely unrealistic that is unless you need to eat, a place to sleep and transportation.  Also, having to work for bitcoins while overseas is a nice idea, but how do you turn that into real money and gain access to it?  Gonna take several days for the whole mtgox>Dwolla>bank account shuffle.

3 month vacation?  I haven't worked a normal job for 18 months.

Its easy to live cheap, but good, once you force yourself.

I have very few bitcoins right now, in the down trend i'm converting cash to BTC
on the uptrend I will start my trip.

Why would I get paid in BTC only to Transfer to a US bank, to Convert back to BTC.

opticbit (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 05:56:26 AM
Last edit: July 13, 2011, 06:50:19 AM by opticbit

You'd have a better chance at getting hired to the Associate Press and doing a bitcoin story that would reach millions of people at once.

He who controls the media........

Nope, I'm a horrible writer.  You can ask my any of my English teachers up through College. 
Although I tested into English Honors in High School, And tested well in the Statewide Standardized Tests (Golden State Exams). but failed the class, had to goto summer school and failed that one too, Long story.

Superform

Activity: 56

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 05:57:57 AM

you can crash at my place for 5btc per night
opticbit (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 06:05:57 AM
Last edit: July 15, 2011, 10:17:49 PM by opticbit

Why do you want others to bankroll your vacation?  You know you'll end up sleeping like a hobo and doing manual labor for food.  Why the bitcoin pretense?

I didn't say anything about getting others to bankroll or donate.
although it would be nice, It is doubtful I'll get any substantial amount per day.

Support can be given in many ways.  Notice I mentioned Buddy Passes for Bitcoins.  Tickets will be quite expensive, and almost impossible to buy with BTC, but I'm sure someone out there works for an Airline and could get me some buddy passes in exchange for BTC.  I might be able to convince a friend in the airline industry to get me a buddy pass for bitcoins.  

I know people that work for the following airlines, Delta/Northwest, US, United, Continental.  Last time I needed a buddy pass it was $150 to anywhere in the US.  I don't remember how much for international.  One Airline friend to International trips regularly with Flight Benefits.  I don't know about the Cruise Line industry, I've only known one person that has worked on one.  However Getting My friends to even look at BTC has been difficult.

However on second thought why wouldn't someone want a Community to Bankroll a Vacation for them.

opticbit (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 06:08:07 AM

I'll have a small backup.

my phone will be loaded with some videos, and language dictionaries.  And Google translate if I have Wifi Access or GSM.

I'll be picking up a solar powered Backpack.

opticbit (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 06:10:58 AM

People on this forum speak many languages, maybe we can help to prepare detailed plan on how to get from point A to point B and contact people along the road beforehand. I speak Russian btw.

Thanks, the first constructive comment in the forum.

useful bitcoin phrases would be a good topic and then have some people who are fluent in a language translate them.

I like to think of the non constructive as playing devil advocate.

opticbit (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 06:13:56 AM

I would suggest try surviving ONLY on bitcoins for a week wherever you live.  You may find its possible, even though I highly HIGHLY doubt it.

I find it awkward to try something new in some place your comfortable.

if a store won't accept them I'll be searching near by, but won't waste to much time on searching for a store to take them.  I think it would be much better to wait for a customer who will accept Bitcoins to buy something for me.  I believe Plato had to get many people to buy gas for him, or use his gas card bought with BTC.

opticbit (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 06:14:59 AM
Last edit: July 13, 2011, 06:35:04 AM by opticbit

Why do you want others to bankroll your vacation?  You know you'll end up sleeping like a hobo and doing manual labor for food.  Why the bitcoin pretense?

That's what we like about you, your consistent raving-hobo-in-a-back-alley tinfoil logic. This is probably how the joker got started.

As for the trip, good idea, just plan carefully. You may want to talk to plato who has taken a long road-trip for the same purpose.

Yes I met Plato in SF.  I had thought of doing a trip, befor we met, but I wasn't thinking of going around the world till the other night when I had the thought that I haven't seen enough of the world.  And look forward to his comments in here.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: