Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 04:51:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New Snowden Leak Reports ‘Groundbreaking’ NSA Crypto-Cracking  (Read 2468 times)
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 01:08:11 AM

The latest published leak from NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden lays bare classified details of the U.S. government’s $52.6 billion intelligence budget, and makes the first reference in any of the Snowden documents to a “groundbreaking” U.S. encryption-breaking effort targeted squarely at internet traffic.

Snowden, currently living in Russia under a one-year grant of asylum, passed The Washington Post the 178-page intelligence community budget request for fiscal year 2013. Among the surprises reported by Post writers Barton Gellman and Greg Miller is that the CIA receives more money than the NSA: $14.7 billion for the CIA, versus $10.8 billion for the NSA. Until this morning it’s generally been believed that the geeky NSA, with its basements full of supercomputers, dwarfed its human-oriented counterparts.

The Post published only 43 pages from the document, consisting of charts, tables and a 5-page summary written by Director of National Intelligence James Clapper. The Post said it withheld the rest, and kept some information out of its reporting, in consultation with the Obama administration to protect U.S. intelligence sources and methods.

One of those methods, though, is hinted at in the Clapper summary — and it’s interesting. Clapper briefly notes some programs the intelligence agencies are closing or scaling back, as well as those they’re pouring additional funds into. Overhead imagery captured by spy satellites was slated for reduction, for example, while SIGINT, the electronic spying that’s been the focus of the Snowden leaks, got a fresh infusion.

“Also,” Clapper writes in a line marked “top secret,” “we are investing in groundbreaking cryptanalytic capabilities to defeat adversarial cryptography and exploit internet traffic.”

The Post’s article doesn’t detail the “groundbreaking cryptanalytic capabilities” Clapper mentions, and there’s no elaboration in the portion of the document published by the paper. But the document shows that 21 percent of the intelligence budget — around $11 billion — is dedicated to the Consolidated Cryptologic Program that staffs 35,000 employees in the NSA and the armed forces.

The rest:
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2013/08/black-budget/
polrpaul

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Love the Bitcoin.

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2013, 01:17:17 AM

Awesome!

BTC.sx - Leveraged Bitcoin Trading. Simply use Bitcoin to take advantage of a rising or falling Bitcoin price.
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1038

Death to enemies!

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 01:31:24 AM

Hmmm what could it be? Large MITM attack against SSL encrypted web traffic using certificates signed by root authorities? Pay millions $ to everyone involved to both keep enthusiastic and keep mouth shut. Thank You America!

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
balanghai

Activity: 364
Merit: 253

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 01:43:04 AM

That'd be a very awesome rig to mine bitcoins!!!!!!! Shocked
polrpaul

Love the Bitcoin.

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2013, 01:44:36 AM

That'd be a very awesome rig to mine bitcoins!!!!!!! Shocked

Wink

BTC.sx - Leveraged Bitcoin Trading. Simply use Bitcoin to take advantage of a rising or falling Bitcoin price.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2013, 02:47:22 AM

Among the surprises reported by Post writers Barton Gellman and Greg Miller is that the CIA receives more money than the NSA: $14.7 billion for the CIA, versus $10.8 billion for the NSA.

Actually not too surprising, considering CIA's toys include U2 Spy Planes, SR-71 Blackbird, and currently drones.
theDF

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 05:21:44 AM

Some of this is not even suprising me anymore  Wink
balanghai

Activity: 364
Merit: 253

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 10:27:12 AM

Maybe this is the reason why primecoin is so difficult to mine now. They are selling 20k XPM a day to cover costs of the equipments!!! Grin
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 01:53:22 PM

"The Post said it withheld the rest, and kept some information out of its reporting, in consultation with the Obama administration to protect U.S. intelligence sources and methods."

Censorship at its finest.
west77

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 09:58:02 AM

"The Post said it withheld the rest, and kept some information out of its reporting, in consultation with the Obama administration to protect U.S. intelligence sources and methods."

Censorship at its finest.
It is, after all, very important to allow the ministry of truth to have the final say in what can be published.
nlovric

Activity: 336
Merit: 140

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 01:02:16 PM

Hmmm what could it be? Large MITM attack against SSL encrypted web traffic using certificates signed by root authorities? Pay millions $ to everyone involved to both keep enthusiastic and keep mouth shut. Thank You America!

Time-Memory-Data (TMD) trade-off, most-likely. Further considerations ULTRA.
GreenBits
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1048

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 04:50:03 AM

Im not too savvy on all the crypto shit, but does this mean that Pretty Good Privacy isn't so good and private anymore?
melon

Activity: 134

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 07:06:36 AM

Im not too savvy on all the crypto shit, but does this mean that Pretty Good Privacy isn't so good and private anymore?

its now going to be called kinda-ok privacy w. the acronym (KOP)

Once was a man his name was Jed..had a lot of hair but it wasn't on his head !
btbrae

Activity: 680
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 07:16:40 PM

Breaking: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/05/nsa-gchq-encryption-codes-security

US and UK spy agencies defeat privacy and security on the internet

• NSA and GCHQ unlock encryption used to protect emails, banking and medical records
• $250m-a-year US program works covertly with tech companies to insert weaknesses into products
• Security experts say programs 'undermine the fabric of the internet'

...The document reveals that the agency has capabilities against widely used online protocols, such as HTTPS, voice-over-IP and Secure Sockets Layer (SSL), used to protect online shopping and banking.

The document also shows that the NSA's Commercial Solutions Center, ostensibly the body through which technology companies can have their security products assessed and presented to prospective government buyers, has another, more clandestine role.

It is used by the NSA to "to leverage sensitive, co-operative relationships with specific industry partners" to insert vulnerabilities into security products. Operatives were warned that this information must be kept top secret "at a minimum".
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 07:59:52 PM

Breaking: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/05/nsa-gchq-encryption-codes-security

US and UK spy agencies defeat privacy and security on the internet

• NSA and GCHQ unlock encryption used to protect emails, banking and medical records
• $250m-a-year US program works covertly with tech companies to insert weaknesses into products
• Security experts say programs 'undermine the fabric of the internet'

...The document reveals that the agency has capabilities against widely used online protocols, such as HTTPS, voice-over-IP and Secure Sockets Layer (SSL), used to protect online shopping and banking.

The document also shows that the NSA's Commercial Solutions Center, ostensibly the body through which technology companies can have their security products assessed and presented to prospective government buyers, has another, more clandestine role.

It is used by the NSA to "to leverage sensitive, co-operative relationships with specific industry partners" to insert vulnerabilities into security products. Operatives were warned that this information must be kept top secret "at a minimum".
Of course, since it's existence has now been revealed, the utility of these efforts has been compromised.

If the US ever fell apart like Russia did in 1990-1992 timeframe, and all those NSA creeps were out of jobs with the knowledge of these backdoors....
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 10:50:10 PM

I was going to update my thread but I see people keeping track. That is good.

Obviously the bitcoin ecosystem is not surprised by all those revelations. It simply means there is not enough tinfoil hats for everyone on this planet now as it is all factual.
bitcoindigi

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 05:38:05 AM

lol.

I'd say they won't touch pgp for the next 10ish years. hopefully.

What they're capable of is https, SSL and VoIP, but that's obvious IMO
Ekaros

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 05:47:04 AM

lol.

I think PGP is itself still sound. But there is a big trust issues...

Maybe it's time to find a new root authority and not involve it with USA in anyway...

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 10:20:57 AM

lol.

I think PGP is itself still sound. But there is a big trust issues...

Maybe it's time to find a new root authority and not involve it with USA in anyway...

self issued SSL certificates, some sites are already doing this
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2013, 02:19:00 AM

I was going to update my thread but I see people keeping track. That is good.

Obviously the bitcoin ecosystem is not surprised by all those revelations. It simply means there is not enough tinfoil hats for everyone on this planet now as it is all factual.

We need tinfoil computer cases...  Undecided
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: