Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 04:42:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How safe a ledger is?  (Read 240 times)
charliegengos (OP)

Activity: 48
Merit: 2

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 07:43:15 AM

Hi everyone, I just wanted to ask your perspective about having ledger. There's a lot of rumor that even brand new ledgers hacked because of it's fake seals. Checking your insights about this one.
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3500
Merit: 6150

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 07:44:55 AM
Merited by udayantha11 (1)

It's safe enough. If you're worried about that, buy it directly from the Ledgerwallet website or their official resellers which you can find on the site, don't use eBay etc.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Giftcoins

Activity: 309
Merit: 250

QUIFAS EXCHANGE

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 08:02:32 AM

It's safe enough. If you're worried about that, buy it directly from the Ledgerwallet website or their official resellers which you can find on the site, don't use eBay etc.

yeah i heard some stories about hacked by ledger wallet , because ppl buy it from unofficial places
i recommend too buy from official places and keep it clear.
always use a/v on pc and firewalls and everything will be okay

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
                         ▄▄██████████████████▄▄
                       ▄███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████▄
                     ▄█████▄▄██████████████▄▄█████▄
        ██████  █████████▄████████████████████▄█████
        ██████  ███████▄████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▄████
                      ▄██████▀████████████▀██████▄████
███████   █████████████████████████████████████████████
███████   █████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████
     ██████████████████████████████████████████████████
     ██████████████████████████████████████████████████
                     █████████████████████████████████
            ██████████▀██████▄████████████▄██████▀████
            ███████████▀████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▄███
                    █████▀████████████████▄▀██████▄
                     ▀█████▀▀██████████████▀██▀██████▄
                       ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀▀▀
                         ▀▀██████████████████▀▀
                             ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
QUIFAS                    
                    ███
 █              ███ ███
 █              ███  █
███          █  ███
███         ███  █
███  █      ███  █
    ███  █  ███  █
    ███ ███  █   █
     █   █   █
     █      
boosteroid8

Activity: 242
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 08:06:02 AM

Thak you for advice, I wan't buy Ledger but I am afraid that it will broke and I will lose my money(
charliegengos (OP)

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 08:08:42 AM

Well, Thankyou for this advice !
glennmatthew

Activity: 462
Merit: 253

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 08:15:43 AM

Thak you for advice, I wan't buy Ledger but I am afraid that it will broke and I will lose my money(

There is no need to worry about it breaking. The ledger comes with a little paper, when you create your wallet it gives you a 24 word recovery phrase which you write down on to the paper. If the device ever breaks, all you need to do is buy a new ledger, and recreate your wallet with that 24 word recovery phrase.

I think I don't need to say it - never give ANYONE that recovery phrase Tongue The only way that someone can have access to your account, is if they were to steal your recovery phrase. Your computer can have a million viruses and keyloggers, and it still won't get information from your ledger. However, you should still invest in decent anti virus and anti-malware software. My trusted combination is MalwareBytes and ESET.

The ledger won't protect you from yourself.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
          ▄▄████████████▄▄
       ▄████████████████████▄
     ▄██████████████▀█████████▄
   ▄███████████████   ██████████▄
  ▐█████████████████   ██████████▌
 ▐█████████████████▀    ██████████▌
 ███████████████▀        ██████████
▐████████████▀     ▄███   █████████▌
████████████    ▄████▀██▄███████████
██████████▀██▄████▀    █████████████
█████████   ███▀     ▄██████████████
▐█████████        ▄████████████████▌
 ██████████    ▄███████████████████
 ▐██████████   ███████████████████▌
  ▐██████████   █████████████████▌
   ▀██████████▄█████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████████████▀
       ▀████████████████████▀
          ▀▀████████████▀▀
              ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

temtum

█
    ██
   ████
  ██▌███
 ▐██▌███▌
 ███ ██▀▌
 ▀██ █▄██
 █▄█ ███▀
 ▀██ ██▄█
 █▄█ ███▌
  ██▌███
  ▐█▌██
   ▐█▌
    █
    █
     ▀

░░░░░░░░██████
░░░░░░░░██████
░░░░░░░░██████

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██████
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██████
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██████

░░░██████
░░░██████
░░░██████

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██████

▄▄██████▄▄
       ▐██▀    ▀██▌
       ██        ██
       ██        ██
       ██        ██
      ██████████████
      █████  ███████     ██ 
  ██  █  ████████  █ ██   
      ███████  █████    ██   
      ██████████████

▄██▄
▀██▀         ▄██▄
             ▀██▀

▄██▄
       ▀██▀

▄██▄
  ▄██▄     ▀██▀
  ▀██▀

▄▄█▄▄   ▄
█▄        ████████▀▄
███      █████████▀
▐███▄    ████████▌
▄▄█████▄▄▄███████▌
  ▀█████████████
  ▄▄██████████▀
    ▄████████▀
▀▀████████▀
    ▀▀▀

▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄
   ▐█▄████████████▄█▌
  ▐██████████████████▌
  █████▀▀▀████▀▀▀█████
 █████     ██     █████
▐██████▄▄▄████▄▄▄██████▌
 ████▄▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▄████
  ▀▀████        ████▀▀
      ▀▀        ▀▀

█▀▀▄▄▄█▄
         █    ▀█▀
       ▄▄█▄▄
▄██▄▄████████▄▄██▄
█████▀▀████▀▀█████
 ███▄  ▄██▄  ▄███
  ▀████▀██▀████▀
    ▀███▄▄███▀
       ▀▀▀▀

██ ██ ██ ██

██ ██ ██

██ ██

██ ██

Homepage

██ ██

██ ██

██ ██ ██

██ ██ ██ ██

White Paper
denzkilim

Activity: 1218
Merit: 105

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 08:20:11 AM

yeah i heard some stories about hacked by ledger wallet , because ppl buy it from unofficial places

Lol I was planning to buy a ledger now, and actually I was surfing the internet to find a low price ledger then I suddenly saw this thread and now I'm thinking if should I buy one or not. I really think that the "Original" ledger wallet is safe but what if some people will try to imitate it? Shocked There are lots of online shop selling ledger with low price and I don't know if they're selling an original ledger or fake ledger. I think I need to research more before buying this kind of hard wallet for the safety of my digital assets.
htsz_da12

Activity: 163
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 08:24:32 AM

The ledger is secure, and it also supports a wide variety of COINS, which can also be used in the etherdelta.
 You can also buy trezor, which is fine, I bought both. Lips sealed

etron

Activity: 182

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 08:29:00 AM

Hi everyone, I just wanted to ask your perspective about having ledger. There's a lot of rumor that even brand new ledgers hacked because of it's fake seals. Checking your insights about this one.
the system is always developed from time to time is not possible to develop a system of perfunctory security must be guarded with a password that can not be stolen do not worry about this, if still can be hacked people do not you buy better looking ledger new, more up-to-date.
batang_bitcoin

Activity: 2996
Merit: 600

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 08:29:41 AM

You worried what happened to this guy? https://np.reddit.com/r/ledgerwallet/comments/7obot7/all_my_cryptocurrency_stolen/All my cryptocurrency stolen (self.ledgerwallet).
I'll add what others verified that nano ledger s is very safe. Just purchase directly from www.ledgerwallet.com or with any of them www.ledgerwallet.com/retailers
Don't buy to resellers on ebay, buy to ledgers main website or retailers.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
udayantha11

Activity: 770
Merit: 17

2023 would most likely be as bearish as 2022

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2018, 08:32:14 AM

its a 100% safe way to keep your tokens or coins. but keep the backup otherwise if you lost your hardware wallet no access.

we all need universal power and cyclist of Everything
-2023 would most likely be as bearish as 2022-
=BTC will make it, but might be a long winter=

Stronger the storm, brighter the rainbow
VitKoyn

Activity: 490
Merit: 106

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 08:39:22 AM

Hardware wallets are the safest storage for your cryptocurrencies because it is impregnable, there are some incidents that people who bought from a re-seller of hardware wallets gets hacked, but the problem there is not the device. The user who bought the hardware wallet uses the seed/addresses that is already there, so there is possible that the re-seller or someone have used it before, have an access to it or have the lists of the private keys. If you want to buy from third party seller you should always reset or create new seed before using it or just buy directly to manufacturers website just to make sure.
Mi5h0

Activity: 560
Merit: 273

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 08:40:29 AM

Lol I was planning to buy a ledger now, and actually I was surfing the internet to find a low price ledger then I suddenly saw this thread and now I'm thinking if should I buy one or not. I really think that the "Original" ledger wallet is safe but what if some people will try to imitate it? Shocked There are lots of online shop selling ledger with low price and I don't know if they're selling an original ledger or fake ledger. I think I need to research more before buying this kind of hard wallet for the safety of my digital assets.

I personally believe chances of buying tampered hardware wallets are very, very slim... But if you don't like to take a chance, only buy wallets from certified reseller or from the manufacturer. If it saves you only a couple of dollar, might as well just get it from the official source. Better safe than sorry!
charliegengos (OP)

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 08:44:38 AM

Earlier i'm planning to buy a discounted ledger price, Thank you for this forum. It is better to be safe than sorry
douhancan58

Activity: 112
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 08:51:34 AM

The hardware wallet system is the simplest: a, the hardware system is the simplest. It's a SOC chip. Hardware bugs are likely to be much smaller than mobile phones; B, PC; The simplest software system is to generate private keys using random Numbers. The interaction with the outside only communicates signature information. Viruses in software may be much smaller than mobile phones. C, at the same time, transmit data only through cables. The external interactive signature information is only used when used. The probability of being silent is zero.
kryptorian

Activity: 84
Merit: 8

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 08:54:12 AM

If you are paranoid and that's for real, the 100% sure way of keeping your coins safe and secure is to use some old decrepit but still working computer as an offline wallet. You never connect it to the Internet and only use it to sign your transactions with your private key. Then you copy the signed transaction to a USB stick, load the transaction in your wallet and then send it. Thus your keys are never exposed to any risk of being stolen.

Here's a nice and detailed howto if anyone feels interested.
dreamer81

Activity: 616
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 08:58:47 AM

The ledger is not safe at all. With a ledger you have to backup the seed phrase. Well good luck with that.
With a paper wallet, you can at least encrypt the paper wallet so if it gets in the wrong hands...

so avoid ledger
L A R A

Activity: 728
Merit: 104

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 09:13:41 AM

ledger wallet hit the hack because he bought the wallet from third parties, not directly from the official website Wink I also use the ledger wallet and until now my bitcoin in it is still safe, because every transaction must be through my finger approval first Grin
szpalata

Activity: 686
Merit: 253

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 09:14:27 AM

I personally believe chances of buying tampered hardware wallets are very, very slim... But if you don't like to take a chance, only buy wallets from certified reseller or from the manufacturer. If it saves you only a couple of dollar, might as well just get it from the official source. Better safe than sorry!

Indeed hardware wallets are the best and i agree with you that it should be acquired from the right source than secondary or cheap sources where you will risk a security breech. I got myself one ;late last year from around 150$ and have been a great storage since.
Mr.Smithers

Activity: 105

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 10:04:07 AM

You worried what happened to this guy? https://np.reddit.com/r/ledgerwallet/comments/7obot7/all_my_cryptocurrency_stolen/All my cryptocurrency stolen (self.ledgerwallet).
I'll add what others verified that nano ledger s is very safe. Just purchase directly from www.ledgerwallet.com or with any of them www.ledgerwallet.com/retailers
Don't buy to resellers on ebay, buy to ledgers main website or retailers.

I am reading in the link you provided that Ledger CEO and CTO officially took care of that matter and are helping that poor guy file the complaint to the police. He knows who sold him the Ledger so chances are very high the police will be able to track down who was the scammer (if it was a seller, or some other middleman) and hopefully get the money back to the poor guy.

The lesson learnt is to always buy it from the official source. It comes sealed and you can be sure it was not tampered with.
You see, the small money you may save buying it from some fishy source may be not worth the risk of loosing ALL your crypto holdings!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: