Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 12:08:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ASUS 1080 (ROG STRIX-GTX1080-A8G) multiple GPU not seen by mobo  (Read 87 times)
rakdula (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 12:02:37 PM

Hi All,

i just bought 5x ROG STRIX-GTX1080-A8G to build a mining rig.

but the mobo sees only 1 GPU, any of them but only one at once.

Ive tried with:
3 different mobo, with all the BIOS settings i could think / found on internet (each mobo has a different CPU and Memory):
  ASRock H110 Pro BTC
  ASRock Z97X Killer
  Asus P5K
2 different PSU
10+ risers (to rule out risers fault)
Windows 10 & ETHOS

Could this be a nvidia vBios restriction?

Any suggestion that may help me resolve this is welcome :-)

Thank you

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
markodude2017

Activity: 6

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 01:30:31 PM

It is not a BIOS restriction. Jeez, even gamers run 2 cards......

I think it is more likely a BIOS setting issue, Biostar for instance require you set a "mining mode" switch in the BIOS.

With no experience on (although have a 50% complete build on the Asrock H110) specific boards it is hard to say, but don't be too deterred, I am 99.9% sure its not the cards that are the issue.

Are you using 390.65? The install on multiple cards can take a while, when you add a 2nd does it show as "Basic Display" or "VGA controller?" or not at all?

rakdula (OP)

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 01:39:47 PM

It is not a BIOS restriction. Jeez, even gamers run 2 cards......

I think it is more likely a BIOS setting issue, Biostar for instance require you set a "mining mode" switch in the BIOS.

With no experience on (although have a 50% complete build on the Asrock H110) specific boards it is hard to say, but don't be too deterred, I am 99.9% sure its not the cards that are the issue.

Are you using 390.65? The install on multiple cards can take a while, when you add a 2nd does it show as "Basic Display" or "VGA controller?" or not at all?

Gamers link the cards in SLI, i'm using risers, this is different.

The OS (win or linux) sees only 1 GPU, 2nd one is not there ... however ... if i plug-in the power adapter only into 8 pins connector on GPU (leaving the 6 pins connector empty) the OS sees all GPU just that they are unusable.

Ill keep trying, thanks
rakdula (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 05:57:31 AM

After hours and hours of trying and switching all the components it was a GPU power cable which has "intermittent" fault.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: