Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:31:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: First UK's bitcoin robbery. Stay safe.  (Read 646 times)
codpku

Activity: 336
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 04:14:16 PM

I think man who got robbery was really show off what he get fromo bitcoin, as a person we should lay low don't show everybody that we become rich from bitcoin just do like ordinary life
But i think the robbery have a connection with his son who know his dad have lot bitcoin just my opinion hehe

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cabron

Activity: 2814
Merit: 597

https://www.betcoin.ag

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2018, 04:30:57 PM

I was thinking about this the other day and I realised there is a potential market out there for security provision related to Crypto's and BTC.

Example: Imagine if Trezor or a private security company working with Trezor set up a system where by you have a false login to your Trezor hard wallet which when entered triggers an alarm within said company* (much like how some private burglar alarm companies operate) so then someone knows to comes out and check on you and/or hopefully prevents theft of all if not just a part of your holdings.

Obviously there would be a fee for this but it would be no different to a subscription to a standard alarm system which plenty of people do anyway.

*Or the company then contact the police as they will in all likelyhood be closer and have a better response time.

You can definitely create a software for that and do an ICO here for such project. You will probably collect thousands of ETHfor it.

High jacking and gun pointing may happen again when criminals know there are money to take from someone. If you live alone or maybe you are part of the devteam you may be a target of these criminals.

Jeremycoin
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

𝓗𝓞𝓓𝓛

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 04:31:54 PM

I hope targeting bitcoiners won't become a new trend for criminals.
Believe me, it would.
It has been started.

And seriously, what's the best practice to prevent such cases, when you hold/have access to significant amount of bitcoins? Sure you could hide your private key (or part of it) in some secure place outside of your home, but then the risk of you (or your family) getting tortured or even killed increases. Well organised group as described above unlikely would be happy to leave with nothing.
The thing that we can do is to protect our anonymity at all costs. They won't know who you are if you didn't share your identity with the public (internet) for free or easily.

And what about exchanges? 2FA is a prevention from hacking, but won't work at all if you're held at gunpoint. I'd be very happy to see some extra (opt-in) security features on exchanges, i.e. few days delay in withdrawing BTC above certain amount.
Duh, 2FA supposed to be safe as long as the access to your device is in your own hand.

And what about exchanges? 2FA is a prevention from hacking, but won't work at all if you're held at gunpoint. I'd be very happy to see some extra (opt-in) security features on exchanges, i.e. few days delay in withdrawing BTC above certain amount.
This would make things more complicated to do.

Frankly, I think this kind of event is making me more certain that Bitcoin is a real currency.

faucet used to be profitable
petrov trevor

Activity: 64
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 04:34:05 PM

Unfortunately, anything of value attracts the thief, be very careful and be discreet about what you own
Best Dreams

Activity: 1008
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 08:05:39 PM

i wondering why the robbers know this family have huge amount of bitcoin and apparently the robbers was following bitcoin trend and more likely to choose stole digital asset rather than physical asset but indeed this is first time to heards cryptocurrencies robbery but i wish this is could be the first and the last time we heard because will be very dangerous for us as bitcoin users

In physical currency, armed robbers will be able to get their hands more limited money, or the wallet may not have much money, or bank teller machine withdrawal limit every day. But bitcoin is different, and a thief can steal millions of bitcoin in minutes.
Well it is not that easy because now bitcoin has a lot of wallets, now bitcoin has wallet if we will put pour bitcoin in wallet no one will be able to steal or use your bitcoin, blockchain is for safety it is as safe as we want, it is easy to rob a bank and take all of the paper currency but mate if you will put your money in bitcoin and then use bitcoin wallet no one will be able to steal your bitcoin until they know your bitcoin wallet password.
farwellbit

Activity: 287
Merit: 102

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 05:48:45 AM

The solution is "Dummy" paper wallets. Create some "dummy" paper wallets and deposit small amounts of coins onto it to fool

these robbers. {Just enough coin to keep them occupied, because they will most probably not have enough time to check all

these wallets. Also create duplicates of paper wallets.... as soon as they leave, sweep those coins to another Bitcoin address.

Never advertise how much coins you have, and do not store your bitcoins in a safe, because that is the first place where they

will look, when they break into your house.  Angry

I am 100% sure if someone tries to rob you of your bitcoins.  They will sit there and wait until you transfer the bitcoins into their address and it get's confirmed.  They won't be stupid to fall for this and if you're driving a Lambo and live in a mansion and say you only have 10 bitcoins, they won't believe you also. 
It is not easy to rob someone who is having any kind of digital currency whether it is bitcoin or not. If you want to do so, you are supposed to kidnap owners and even if someone is residing a big bungalow, this does not indicate his possession of bitcoin. Many rich people are still not investing into bitcoin. In short, it is not that easy as it appears to rob bitcoin. This is one of the reason why people are investing into bitcoin.
Shwester

Activity: 111

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 06:05:41 AM

yes it started as large number of people knows about how precious is bitcoin.stay safe
pawel7777 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1559

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2018, 10:35:43 PM

Didn't want to start a new thread, I'll just post a similar story from Moscow here:

https://cointelegraph.com/news/moscow-man-mutilated-and-mugged-for-1-million-in-bitcoin-local-sources-report

According to Forklog, the victim, who has not been named, was in the southern district of the Russian capital when a group of muggers stopped him and demanded he transfer his holdings.

When he refused, they “mutilated his face with a knife” before he surrendered his collection of around 100 BTC, approximately $1,020,000 at press time, according to the publication.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 10:40:00 PM

Didn't want to start a new thread, I'll just post a similar story from Moscow here:

https://cointelegraph.com/news/moscow-man-mutilated-and-mugged-for-1-million-in-bitcoin-local-sources-report

According to Forklog, the victim, who has not been named, was in the southern district of the Russian capital when a group of muggers stopped him and demanded he transfer his holdings.

When he refused, they “mutilated his face with a knife” before he surrendered his collection of around 100 BTC, approximately $1,020,000 at press time, according to the publication.

So he had the coins on him and the muggers must've known he had them on him as well. It sounds like there was some information leakage somewhere along the line along with extreme silliness for carrying that much around in the street.

As an aside to the original subject of this thread I haven't seen it mentioned that the robbers got nothing. I can't find the details but I presume the trader who was done over must've double spent or done some type of spoof transaction.
jack107

Activity: 207
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 10:45:26 PM

what a scary thought...I wouldn't know what to do. Security is done when you're compromised like that
Theoneo8

Activity: 32

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 11:18:07 PM

That is brutal. How to defense yourself from that!? I guess the best thing is to keep a low profile to avoid attracting attention to yourself. In small cities or places that is hard thing to do. Moving is an option too. This will be a huge problem in future.
ferall

Activity: 672
Merit: 265

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 11:19:29 PM

Low profile and tell nobody.

alekseidanilov0803

Activity: 84

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 01:29:51 PM

These bitcoins are not dangerous. Yes, there may be risks that are small, but for several years it has been successfully earned!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: