Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 09:45:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How often do your Rigs restart or crash?  (Read 366 times)
Spllouder (OP)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 03:49:45 PM

Well, I think i finally got my system stable. I swapped out MB and now using H270A Pro. Before i had allot of Crash restarts, until now it is very stable, besides last night. The rig never turned off, Fans where same speed as always. But the room was cold, I turned on the mointer and could not get any signal. Checked Nanopool, and it was not hashing for 3 hours. Any idea's ?

So my question to everyone is how often your Rig crashes and what was the cause and fix?
coins4commies

Activity: 952
Merit: 175

@cryptocommies

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 04:53:09 PM

sounds like a psu issue. especially if you are pushing it to the max. i would check there first. less load on the psu will give you more stability.
NobodyIsHome

Activity: 74
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 04:57:43 PM

I run 20+ rigs and the number one problem related to instability was caused by the psu in one form or another.
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4368
Merit: 3621

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 05:09:36 PM

So my question to everyone is how often your Rig crashes and what was the cause and fix?

main cause of crashes are bad risers, undernourished psus (or abused psu cables that go bad on the psu side) and overclocked cards.

ive gone months with no crashes on my mining rigs. took a while to dial in stable card settings though. only reason i restart now is OS updates or hardware changes.
2stout

Activity: 2394
Merit: 593

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 05:12:05 PM

What is the total wattage draw of the GPU's & MB and the rating of the PSU(s)?  As a rule of thumb, you don't want to exceed 80% of the PSU capacity.  Also may need to check circuit this on and make sure it isn't being pushed beyond 80% -ex, if on 15A ckt, then W= A x V, assuming 120V, then Watts=1800 and 80% of this= 1440W.
KaydenC

Activity: 610
Merit: 265

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2018, 06:04:43 PM

Mine depends on the algo. For zcoin I have about 7 crashes a day out of 15 rigs. For equihash it drops to 2-3 crash a day out of 23 rigs. They all have scripts that detects idle gpus and restarts the PC so it's automated. Likely my zcoin core oc is too high though.

MarkAz

Activity: 687
Merit: 511

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 06:25:08 PM

We have several hundred rigs - it's rare for them to crash or reboot, generally speaking that's an indicator of some secondary issue.  Typically we'll have one system per day or two that needs a reboot for whatever reason, but as a percentage that's like 0.1 % which is more than acceptable to us.  The big thing is making sure you have some way to remotely manage things, that will make you life alot easier if you start scaling up.

Oh, and we're running Linux for everything, so you might get different results depending on what OS you choose.  I have my gaming box mine when I'm not playing games, and normally it only rebooted when a Windows update happened - but now after that stupid Intel bug fix it probably reboots about once every day or two.
martyroz

Activity: 325
Merit: 110

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 09:23:37 PM

Active workers

Code:
XNSUB  	WORKER  ALGORITHM  SPEED (ACCEPTED)  SPEED (REJECTED)  DIFF  TIME (MIN)  LOCATION  
Yes 041 Equihash 4177.86 Sol/s 0 Sol /s (0%) 4096 2267 USA
Yes 143 Equihash 3597.6 Sol/s 0 Sol /s (0%) 4096 655 USA
Yes 241 Equihash 5106.27 Sol/s 0 Sol /s (0%) 4096 2268 USA
Yes VEGA56 CryptoNight 10.67 kH/s 0 kH /s (0%) 400000 2959 HK

looks like 40+ hours for three rigs and 11 hours for 1 rig
I have one rig down ATM - can't check till I get home. It's running Windows + Vega and is a PITA...
smoolae

Activity: 602
Merit: 106

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 09:33:27 PM

Depends on an algorithm, Cryptonight runs stable af. Ethash and Equihash do give me some problems.

logosobscura

Activity: 84
Merit: 16

Tru Reputation Network Pre-Sale: tru.ltd/tokensale

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2018, 09:52:12 PM

As everyone has said- check the PSUs- 5 years of experience has taught me not to cheap out on PSUs and that the math isn't linear. Cheap PSUs are essentially a waste of money, and more than GPUs they're where you should put the majority of your planning. Also applies to PCI-E risers/extensions- don't cheap out on them if you're going to stack on a motherboard and A/B test as you scale up.

Spllouder (OP)

Activity: 24

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 11:51:58 PM

What is the total wattage draw of the GPU's & MB and the rating of the PSU(s)?  As a rule of thumb, you don't want to exceed 80% of the PSU capacity.  Also may need to check circuit this on and make sure it isn't being pushed beyond 80% -ex, if on 15A ckt, then W= A x V, assuming 120V, then Watts=1800 and 80% of this= 1440W.

Great stuff here!

I forgot to mention i have a EVGA 750 G2 Gold

I pulling 632.5 @ this moment typing from the wall.

I have a EVGA 600B Bronze ready to add, but waiting for pcie extension cable's.  

When i do get 6 gpu's, I will run four RX570 just on 750G2 and the other 2 RX570's and System on the 600B.

ALSO?

I use at the moment Sata to 6pin to power my risers, i have molex to 6pin in mail. It has two molex into 6pin, do i need to hook up both molex's to work?

Ok i just did the math, 80 % of 750 = 600

I'am pulling 615 to 630. I need to add this 600B ASAP!
CarlOrff

Activity: 826
Merit: 440

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 12:16:25 AM

My RIG never crash, but I se Ubuntu and nVidia GPUs.
I restart it + or - once a month for cleaning the dust.
In the past, I had 2 serious issues but it was with the mining software (when I used a new one).

Bitcoin + privacy respect = BitcoinZ (topic BitcoinZ)
The only decentralized crypto that complements Bitcoin on privacy.
You missed Bitcoin in 2009 ? Do not miss BitcoinZ in 2018 !
VyprBTC

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 01:05:41 AM

Mine depends on the algo. For zcoin I have about 7 crashes a day out of 15 rigs. For equihash it drops to 2-3 crash a day out of 23 rigs. They all have scripts that detects idle gpus and restarts the PC so it's automated. Likely my zcoin core oc is too high though.

Trying to dig up your scripts, used to be in your sig but can't find it - Phi is giving me a lot of memory error crashes so that would have been cool to use, changed algos though couldn't deal with it.
KK120

Activity: 33

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 02:11:38 AM

I have 6 AMD 470 8GB Rig running windows 10 and STAK-XMR-AMD, since one month+ now.

It got stack a couple of times in the beginning, every 4-5 days but so far it worked non stop for the last 2 weeks until another freeze as we speak Sad
tinfoilMining

Activity: 28

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 02:39:15 AM

Restarts once every hour on average on my only dedicated rig Grin

It's been pulling 650-660 watts from wall on a 750 gold PSU, so maybe that could be the culprit. I reduced power target after reading the posts above. Now pulling 610 watts, we'll see how that works out. I thought I was way within stable territory at 650..

My gaming/mining rig is very stable though, but that's only two GPU's and no risers ..
KaydenC

Activity: 610
Merit: 265

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2018, 02:59:27 AM

Trying to dig up your scripts, used to be in your sig but can't find it - Phi is giving me a lot of memory error crashes so that would have been cool to use, changed algos though couldn't deal with it.

Oh I didn't post it before.

Basically I use nvidia SMI to poll gpu power draw every 10 mins and write that to a text file. It then loops through that text file, if any value below 50W, restart the PC.

With this automation, it's possible to play more aggressive with the clocks often yielding 1-3% improved hash rates at the same power draw despite more crashes.
blottominer

Activity: 1

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 03:16:00 AM

Hi there, just curious if you wrote the scripts yourself or if there are readily available ones out there.

I am now up to 6rigs with 8x1070ti each, and they seem to run into random issues around the 18-36 hour range. A restart fixes it, would love to get that part of the operation automated.

Thanks!
manji

Activity: 210
Merit: 174

BookiePro.Fun - The World's Betting Exchange

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 03:17:50 AM

Well, I think i finally got my system stable. I swapped out MB and now using H270A Pro. Before i had allot of Crash restarts, until now it is very stable, besides last night. The rig never turned off, Fans where same speed as always. But the room was cold, I turned on the mointer and could not get any signal. Checked Nanopool, and it was not hashing for 3 hours. Any idea's ?

My rig never rested 24/7 had to work for me, rarely Crash because, before mining, I check hardware condition, air flow condition for the room mining, calculate the power consumptions for CPU and GPU, check compatibility mining software. if everything good, then mining do it and I'm monitor for 3 or 4 hours.

if have crashed, when power electricity down, switch to new coins, that's all. atm, it's been 3 months Rig never crash.

kaguraqt

Activity: 2

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 05:29:00 AM

No, my rig never crash. maybe you rig restarted because your Mod bios or overclocking too much
lathrodectus

Activity: 25

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 05:35:03 AM

I get no crashes or reboots for months. Unless i reboot them Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: