Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 02:49:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you think Bitcoin is in a bubble?  (Read 314 times)
flyingplows

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 04:05:44 PM

I don't think Bitcoin is a bubble in a traditional way what it means to be in or a financial bubble. There are whole industries developed around Bitcoin, a lot of infrastructure, a lot of related crypto currencies, services, websites, etc. It can have price corrections, but it can not fall to zero, can not fall to 100$, ~3000$ I would think it's the lowest possible price, but I don't think it will be tested. It's a valuable asset, people want to own it. Even if surpassed by altcoins it will still be valuable as a store of value because it's classic Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
stevan211

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 06:06:31 PM

maybe it's in the bubble. I think it's not even his biggest problem. The biggest problem for me is the manipulation of the market
GiseleGarnet

Activity: 26

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 04:29:06 PM

Yes. But it’s a bubble wrapped in techno-mysticism inside a cocoon of libertarian ideology.
It’s a bubble, but it’s also something of a cult, whose initiates are given to paranoid fantasies about evil governments stealing all their money (as opposed to private hackers, who have stolen a remarkably high proportion of extant cryptocurrency tokens). Journalists who write skeptically about Bitcoin tell me that no other subject generates as much hate mail.
nugoph4

Activity: 14

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 07:44:22 PM

Do you think Bitcoin is in a bubble?
I'm pretty sure about the development of bitcoin, and I think it will thrive
MaximMax

Activity: 25

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 03:40:50 AM

it’s hard to determine if Bitcoin is a bubble because it’s an entire industry. However, Bitcoin's recent patterns are akin to other famous bubbles that burst — such as the dotcom bubble.
Altcoins also fluctuate. That reality could theoretically contribute to worries that Bitcoin is a bubble. They might assume that Bitcoin is as volatile as all the other cryptocurrencies, but compiled market statistics actually indicate it’s the most stable.
thepr0digy21

Activity: 137
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2018, 04:16:25 AM

This has been a question every year since ~2010. We'll be alright everyone.
PleaseSignTheMessage

Activity: 210

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2018, 04:18:02 AM

I do think so,  is a bubble managed with the so called whales, groups of coin owners that are able to manipulate the market at their desired moves.
LtMotioN

Merit: 29

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 06:40:23 AM

I think there is a sort of a bubble in crypto, the market as a whole isnt a bubble though.
There are a ton of ICOs that have hundreds of  millions in marketcap, yet they dont even have a working product yet. I expect we will see a cleansing on altcoins at some stage.

As for BTC, no the value to me is what this technology is meant to achieve. Where before has it ever been possible for a random person with $50 to invest into anything ?  BTC will remain the reserve currency for crypto. I dont see it ever dissapearing because I dont see crypto dissapearing.

Dogs are nice, I don't like cats though.
chaitanya31

Activity: 70

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 07:13:15 AM

Depends on how you view Bitcoin. If you view it as a tool for daily transactions, it is for sure in a bubble because of the limited amount of transaction that can be handled on each block of the blockchain. It will never be the currency of choice for daily transactions.

If you view Bitcoin as a store of value, a safe haven for your money in an increasingly volatile world, bitcoin is way undervalued.

It is the most secure crypto asset in the world, with more man hours and computing power devoted to fortifying it, securing it, and perfecting it then any other altcoin by orders of magnitude. There is no foundation or small group of developers who control it, like most of the other alt coins, and there will never be more than 21,000,000 bitcoin, meaning that supply is severely limited while demand is incredible.

when you look at recent dips in the market, like the one we are currently in, what you're witnessing is bitcoin leaving weak hands and going to strong hands, meaning, it is leaving the hands of those who are fearful for its future and are likely to be skittish buyers and sellers and going to the hands of people who are confident in its future, and keep accumulating without selling.

Bitcoin has been on insane upward tear, and if you read the charts, there are frequently large dips in this volatile market, however following every dip is a run up that leaves people saying “"I wish I bought BTC at…”
bimbomalt

Activity: 13

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 07:23:33 AM

As I know bitcoin does not pay out profits (like shares) or rent (like property), and is not attached a national economy (like fiat currencies), so it is hard to conclude.
Andatello

Activity: 27

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 07:24:45 AM

I hope not though most things work on a cycle. I believe this is the future, hopefully we have just embraced it quicker than most.
coinfoxus

Activity: 13

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 09:25:22 AM

Bitcoin still growing, it has recently beat the value of the gold price  Grin
cmmhbct

Activity: 97
Merit: 12

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 10:37:11 AM
Last edit: February 01, 2018, 11:12:02 AM by cmmhbct

In my knowledge and my point of view, I think there are two major points about Bitcoin bubble:

(1) Can we call Bitcoin is a bubble itself?
I will answer not.
Bitcoin is only a bubble if it is over-valued, and it has no intrinsic value too. Why I say this? Bitcoin requires lots of factors to be existed in the world, despite of someone mis-called it as 'virtual currceny'. There is no real currency in the world, even fiats, government-based currencies. As a result of that, Bitcoin should not be called as 'virtual currency'.
In addition, the coin requires power (electricity costs), rigs (of course), farming rigs, hiring-location costs, capital of infracstructures of real companies which operates those farming rigs. That means there are lots of costs for producing/ creating Bitcoins. It's real, not fake, not virtual.
Furthermore, in terms of capital cost for producing Bitcoin, we can do calculation or estimation to estimate the current value of Bitcoin. I don't want to mention about this here, but based on those calculation, I strongly believe that at the current prices, Bitcoin is not a bubble.

(2) Are there highly correlations between Bitcoins and altcoins (major/ top altcoins) in a common bubble?
 My answer is yes.
As a result of this, Bitcoin is not a bubble. If there is a bubble in the crypto-ecosystem. It might be a common bubble for all of coins, including Bitcoin and all altcoins (or at least major altcoins). There are movements of capital between Bitcoin and top altcoins in the bubble, depends specific point of time.

Do you agree or dis-agree with my two points? We can discuss more.
Quebra_Bilhas

Activity: 1

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 04:13:38 PM

I think there is a sort of a bubble in crypto, the market as a whole isnt a bubble though.
There are a ton of ICOs that have hundreds of  millions in marketcap, yet they dont even have a working product yet. I expect we will see a cleansing on altcoins at some stage.

As for BTC, no the value to me is what this technology is meant to achieve. Where before has it ever been possible for a random person with $50 to invest into anything ?  BTC will remain the reserve currency for crypto. I dont see it ever dissapearing because I dont see crypto dissapearing.

Best answer in my opinion.
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1120

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 04:19:45 PM

Exponential growth is an expected pattern for the valuation of an asset relying on a network. We've seen the same kind of pattern for Facebook or Twitter.

This old video from 2013 is still accurate and anticipated the actual growth :
Bitcoin 101 - Why Bitcoin's Growth is Normal & The S-Curves You Could Never See

Economists are up in arms, claiming that bitcoin's 1000% annual growth is faster than anything they've ever seen. Because of that, they lash out, calling bitcoin volatile, a bubble, a pyramid scheme, etc. But don't worry, James D'Angelo puts on his VC glasses to compare the 4.5-year-old bitcoin to facebook, twitter, google at the same periods in their growth. The result is that Bitcoin's growth is as exponential, as volatile and as normal as any enormous tech giant. And just for fun we threw in a little bit about feral rats reproducing on a desert island.

Irriversible

Activity: 52

luctor et emergo

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 04:48:07 PM

Well, what is your definition of a bubbel?
I think in Q4 of 2017 the prices went up wayyyy too fast. So you need a correction, and listen all of the Crypto's are going down.
LtMotioN

Merit: 29

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 11:35:21 AM

Well, what is your definition of a bubbel?
I think in Q4 of 2017 the prices went up wayyyy too fast. So you need a correction, and listen all of the Crypto's are going down.

Agreed, we went up very fast. I think its a good thing we dropped down to the current level. 2018 has been absolutely insane so far, think back to start of January where you would see some alts moving up 70% in a day for a few days straight.

Even if this is a bubble and we are all naive idiots believing in this dream it is all fine as long as everyone is responsible and people dont take loans or sell their houses to buy BTC. Just stay responsible.

Dogs are nice, I don't like cats though.
cmmhbct

Activity: 97
Merit: 12

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 09:51:58 AM

Exponential growth is an expected pattern for the valuation of an asset relying on a network. We've seen the same kind of pattern for Facebook or Twitter.

This old video from 2013 is still accurate and anticipated the actual growth :
Bitcoin 101 - Why Bitcoin's Growth is Normal & The S-Curves You Could Never See

Economists are up in arms, claiming that bitcoin's 1000% annual growth is faster than anything they've ever seen. Because of that, they lash out, calling bitcoin volatile, a bubble, a pyramid scheme, etc. But don't worry, James D'Angelo puts on his VC glasses to compare the 4.5-year-old bitcoin to facebook, twitter, google at the same periods in their growth. The result is that Bitcoin's growth is as exponential, as volatile and as normal as any enormous tech giant. And just for fun we threw in a little bit about feral rats reproducing on a desert island.

As I said in my thread. it is not a bubble personally. Massive corrections are normal corrections after exponential growth, particularly which one last over several-month period. It should be corrected massively like this to give the whole market new motivation to go forward. Take a look at Bitcoin price chart, we can see interesting cycle of its price, right?
https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/bitcoin/

Congratulations, now we are in the new cycle of market growth.

In my knowledge and my point of view, I think there are two major points about Bitcoin bubble:

(1) Can we call Bitcoin is a bubble itself?
I will answer not.
Bitcoin is only a bubble if it is over-valued, and it has no intrinsic value too. Why I say this? Bitcoin requires lots of factors to be existed in the world, despite of someone mis-called it as 'virtual currceny'. There is no real currency in the world, even fiats, government-based currencies. As a result of that, Bitcoin should not be called as 'virtual currency'.
In addition, the coin requires power (electricity costs), rigs (of course), farming rigs, hiring-location costs, capital of infracstructures of real companies which operates those farming rigs. That means there are lots of costs for producing/ creating Bitcoins. It's real, not fake, not virtual.
Furthermore, in terms of capital cost for producing Bitcoin, we can do calculation or estimation to estimate the current value of Bitcoin. I don't want to mention about this here, but based on those calculation, I strongly believe that at the current prices, Bitcoin is not a bubble.

(2) Are there highly correlations between Bitcoins and altcoins (major/ top altcoins) in a common bubble?
 My answer is yes.
As a result of this, Bitcoin is not a bubble. If there is a bubble in the crypto-ecosystem. It might be a common bubble for all of coins, including Bitcoin and all altcoins (or at least major altcoins). There are movements of capital between Bitcoin and top altcoins in the bubble, depends specific point of time.

Do you agree or dis-agree with my two points? We can discuss more.
tobi_1987

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 10:27:12 AM

No it is not a bubble.
why ?  Grin Grin Grin
Rocky69

Activity: 429

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 12:02:14 PM

depends upon what level some one entered one who entered around 100O USD (same time last year ) would be happy while one who entered at 1800 USD must be cursing his luck . No I am staunch believer that BTC is not a bubble but here to stay be patient and wait for the astronomical rise .  BTC investing is like riding a roller coaster but definitely dont consider BTC to be a bubble
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: