Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:01:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Masternodes???  (Read 172 times)
d0n4ald (OP)

Activity: 92
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 12:07:26 AM

in general, if i hold any amount of proof of stake masternode coins in a wallet, does my coin amount increase over time because of interest?

do most masternode coins have an infinite supply? like ethereum has infinite supply too?
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 12:35:46 AM

in general, if i hold any amount of proof of stake masternode coins in a wallet, does my coin amount increase over time because of interest?
do most masternode coins have an infinite supply? like ethereum has infinite supply too?

Bitcoin doesn't have master nodes. Are you referring to Dash, or something else? Try asking on a Dash forum such as https://www.dash.org/forum/

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Crypto Capital

Activity: 155
Merit: 16

🔥3.5% a Month🔥Loans bit.ly/2JRWesw

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 12:42:57 AM

The general idea behind masternodes is that you get a set return (usually more of the coin you are holding) in exchange for "freezing" some of your coins. You could lock your coins in and get say 10-20% return per annum on them some more some less.

├   Crypto Capital   ─  「Loans」─「Brokerage」─「BTC sales」 ╡
⊷  E-mail  ⊶ ● ⊷  Telegram  ⊶
jambola2
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1038

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 01:05:21 AM

Bitcoin doesn't have master nodes. Are you referring to Dash, or something else? Try asking on a Dash forum such as https://www.dash.org/forum/

Odolvlobo is correct, and while people on this forum might be able to help you with an Altcoin anyways, you might want to mention which Altcoin you are talking about.
Also, maybe post it here for a quicker response: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=67.0

No longer active on bitcointalk, however, you can still reach me via PMs if needed.
moonshoot

Activity: 73
Merit: 51

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 01:53:07 AM

Proof of stake coins all have infinite supplies--they have to, because that "interest" is the incentive for people to run the nodes that mine blocks, similar to the rewards that bitcoin miners get to incent them to keep mining bitcoin. The staking (and masternode) rewards are a replacement for mining rewards for PoW coins like bitcoin.

If you are set up in your wallet properly to be staking and keep your wallet online all the time, your coin amount would increase.

In many cases (including the coin I develop for, Phore), transaction fees are burned (destroyed) instead of being paid to miners. This offsets the increased supply to some extent, and indirectly increases the value of each remaining coin. If transaction volume rose enough, in theory a Proof of Stake coin could become deflationary if the transaction fees burned exceeded the staking rewards (this would require a VERY high transaction volume though, if the transaction fees are very low as they are with Phore).

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂ ( P H O R E . i o ) ▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
Delivering Blockchain Technology To The Real World
renacotton

Activity: 2

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 02:01:46 AM

I highly recommend reading Dash's whitepaper,
they do a very thorough job of explaining proof of stake and what you gain from having a masternode system
dr_thuytien

Activity: 58

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 02:22:59 AM

You should distinguish the difference between staking and masternodes. Most of coins which have Proof-of-Stake have masternode feature included in their network. However, those two are very different. Masternode is not staking, and vice versa. If you collect enough amount of coins, equal to its collateral, you can set up one masternode, which help the network to do several taks. Then you masternode will get rewards from the network as protocol mentioned.

On the other hands, if you can not collect enough coins for one masternode, you can only open your wallet, unlock it, let it run 24/7, then get rewards from staking process.

That's it.
lamgiaukhongkho26

Activity: 102

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 03:01:47 AM

You should distinguish the difference between staking and masternodes. Most of coins which have Proof-of-Stake have masternode feature included in their network. However, those two are very different. Masternode is not staking, and vice versa. If you collect enough amount of coins, equal to its collateral, you can set up one masternode, which help the network to do several taks. Then you masternode will get rewards from the network as protocol mentioned.

On the other hands, if you can not collect enough coins for one masternode, you can only open your wallet, unlock it, let it run 24/7, then get rewards from staking process.

That's it.
I would like to corect I in your thread a little bit, most masternode coins have staking feature.
d0n4ald (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 03:22:18 AM

That's it.

does my wallet have to be open all the time? if  i close my wallet i get no stake?
coloseum

Activity: 219
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 04:43:41 AM

~
does my wallet have to be open all the time? if  i close my wallet i get no stake?
No. You don't have to open and let your wallet run all the time, but you should do that. That's depends on specific project which has different requirement about minimum amount of time masternodes and your wallet operated on daily basis. However, you should open wallet, run masternode 24/7 for getting rewards daily, continuously. Of course, there is no problem if your computer lost electricity or Internet connections for a while. For those cases, you are fine, and might get all rewards for those days.

Hope it helps to answer your question a little bit!
d0n4ald (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 04:43:54 PM

See. That helps explain. Thanks
dungp3132

Activity: 274
Merit: 26

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 07:15:20 AM
Merited by dncdog (1), nhathongkehoc (1)

To clarify, staking and masternode operations are very different. The fact is most PoS coins have masternode feature included, but they are different.
You can stake your coins (of course with PoS coins) and get your rewards periodically. Otherwise, if you have enough coins for collateral, you can set up your masternode, let's it operates 24/7 and get periodic rewards too. However, when your coins locked in masternodes, you can stake them simultaneously with masternode operations.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: