Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 02:44:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggested linux builds (non-gui) for CGMINER  (Read 1778 times)
vesperwillow (OP)

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 02:40:06 PM

My preferred super-simple low-key linux build won't handle USB ASIC mining properly as I found out the hard way (debian issues with the old libusb ala https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=28402.msg2983720#msg2983720)

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for similar non-gui builds which DO work properly with libusb? Has to be 32bit architecture. I know I could run Ubuntu or something, but I don't care for any desktop shells loading and I'd rather have the build only install what I need vs me taking stuff out.

Let's see what everyone is running.

vesperwillow (OP)

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 04:10:16 PM

I'd also be interested in simply making debian work if that were possible. Can libusb be fixed for it?

crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 05:16:45 PM

What about ubuntu-server? Doesn't that ship without a GUI?

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
vesperwillow (OP)

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 02:18:49 PM

Haven't tried server. Here's an update:

I used Ubuntu 12.04 32 bit Client, and installed it. I then git-cloned cgminer and compiled it with the necessary flags, downloading all dependencies except libusb (keeping what Ubuntu installed).

This is working for me flawlessly with multiple USB units.

ScaryHash

Activity: 529
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 04:12:11 AM

Haven't tried server. Here's an update:

I used Ubuntu 12.04 32 bit Client, and installed it. I then git-cloned cgminer and compiled it with the necessary flags, downloading all dependencies except libusb (keeping what Ubuntu installed).

This is working for me flawlessly with multiple USB units.

Hi Vesperwillow

Thanks for posting that. I'm also trying to get cgminer to work on Linux Mint 14, which is based on Ubuntu 12.04 (mines 64 bit)..

Anyway, did you have to download any additional drivers for the block erupter USBs? Mine keeps saying it does not detect device 2:8, but I plug in another one and it says does not detect USB device 2:9 , etc..

It is detecting something, but for whatever reason not running them. This is a cgminer 3.3.1 fresh compile with --icarus-enabled --disable-adl

Thanks in advance.

Zanatos666

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Sometimes man, just sometimes.....

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 12:16:51 PM

I still run BAMT on two of my machines.  I have updated them to be able to handle updated GPUs, as well as scrypt and ASIC's.  One sits in my basement and I access it via SSH when needed.

Squiggly letters, written really fast, with a couple of dots for good measure.
vesperwillow (OP)

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 12:53:07 PM

Anyway, did you have to download any additional drivers for the block erupter USBs? Mine keeps saying it does not detect device 2:8, but I plug in another one and it says does not detect USB device 2:9 , etc..

It is detecting something, but for whatever reason not running them. This is a cgminer 3.3.1 fresh compile with --icarus-enabled --disable-adl

Thanks in advance.

Not for Ubuntu, I simply just installed it, cloned cgminer, and that was essentially it. For you I would suggest making sure usbutils is installed and use the lsusb command to show what devices are connected. I forget what they come up as. You'll see the bus and port for them, for instance it might be bus 2 port 5. You could then specify that particular device with cgminer, such as --usb 2:5

Also make sure to copy the rules file from the cgminer directory as per the install rules, so the udev group takes control of the devices, and make sure your user account has access to the serial port/devices.

I still run BAMT on two of my machines.  I have updated them to be able to handle updated GPUs, as well as scrypt and ASIC's.  One sits in my basement and I access it via SSH when needed.

Do the ASIC devices show up on the BAMT stats? I've tried getting the BAMT systems to use ASIC devices without luck.

Zanatos666

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 01:09:35 PM

I still run BAMT on two of my machines.  I have updated them to be able to handle updated GPUs, as well as scrypt and ASIC's.  One sits in my basement and I access it via SSH when needed.

Do the ASIC devices show up on the BAMT stats? I've tried getting the BAMT systems to use ASIC devices without luck.

Yes and no.  It doesnt show on the BAMT stats screen if you direct your browser to your miners local IP, but if you SSH into your system and use screen -r to look at your cgminer screen then you will see it there.

vesperwillow (OP)

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 01:46:48 PM

Copy that, thanks.

merlin3650

Activity: 44
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 01:56:02 PM

Do you run this with the Erupters or something else? I would like to use mine like that.
Zanatos666

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 03:28:02 PM

Do you run this with the Erupters or something else? I would like to use mine like that.

Yes, I mine with 2 graphics cards, a jalapeno, and 3 BE's all off he same BAMT system.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: