Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 07:55:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [SRC] Noobproof VPS SecureCoin/QuarkCoin All-In-One Pool Mining Script  (Read 16411 times)
gigawatt (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 02:50:46 PM
Last edit: January 15, 2014, 06:28:51 PM by gigawatt

Hey guys!  This guide is going to be a bit shorter than the other ones.  I'm going to assume you know some of the basics of setting up a VPS node as outlined in my previous guides.  You'll also be needing to set up a pool mining account.

Once you have an Ubuntu 64-bit VPS running, this should be a walk in the park.

QUARKCOIN USERS: follow the instructions in this first post, then read the information in the second post for additional info.

Setting up a Securecoin Pool Miner on VPS for Absolute Noobs
Donations are appreciated!  If you enjoyed the guide, feel free to sign up using one of the referral links or maybe even send a few coins my way!  Wink
BTC: 1E2egHUcLDAmcxcqZqpL18TPLx9Xj1akcV
Ψ: AWHJbwoM67Ez12SHH4pH5DnJKPoMSdvLz2
SRC: sMCD2p55fkPD6s8EzDrL7vVp8EYqPkJ6mo

Before You Begin
  • Set up a SecureCoin pool mining account.  I would recommend one of the following pools:
  • Set up SecureCoin-QT on a computer and generate a SecureCoin address to receive your coins.
  • Download PuTTY (putty.exe) so you can connect to your VPS when the time comes.
    • During the creation process, be sure to create a node running Ubuntu 13.04/12.04 x64 (not x86)
  • If you signed up for DigitalOcean, check your email for your root password.  If you signed up for Linode, your password will be what you specified.
  • Run PuTTY and paste the node's IP address into the "Host Name" slot, then hit "Open" at the bottom. (figure 1)
  • PuTTY will ask you to confirm the SSH key, press Yes (it will only ask once) (figure 2)
  • Type or paste your password into PuTTY and press enter.  To paste, simply right click.
    • Note: You will not see the password characters!  This is normal.

Getting Down to Business
  • If you chose DigitalOcean, it's time to change the root password!  Type passwd, press enter, then enter a new password.  Just like before, the password characters will not show up. (figure 3)
  • Copy this automated setup script to notepad. (highlighted version)
  • At the top of the script, there are fields starting with "SECURECOIN_".  Fill these out with your desired info.  Be sure to keep the quotes!
    • SECURECOIN_POOL is the URL for the mining pool.  The script includes two example URLs to get you started.
    • SECURECOIN_WORKER is your SecureCoin pool worker name.  It's usually in the format of "username.workername"
    • SECURECOIN_PASS is your SecureCoin pool worker's password.  Usually it will be short and simple, like "x".  DO NOT USE YOUR ACCOUNT PASSWORD FOR YOUR WORKER PASSWORD.
  • Copy the entire modified script from notepad and paste it into your PuTTY window (right click), then hit enter.
  • The setup is now running.  It will take approximately 10 minutes to complete.
  • Once the script completes, you will see a brief help message and list of commands.[/url]

Congratulations!  You're now mining SecureCoins!

If you'd like to maximize your mining potential, please see my mini-guide on How to Clone DigitalOcean Droplets.

Changelog
  • 29 August 2013 - Fixed some issues, the script now runs correctly!  Sorry about that!
  • 29 August 2013 - Initial release!

BTC: 1E2egHUcLDAmcxcqZqpL18TPLx9Xj1akcV   Ψ: AWHJbwoM67Ez12SHH4pH5DnJKPoMSdvLz2   Primecoin All-In-One VPS Setup Script   Quarkcoin All-In-One VPS Setup Script   Metiscoin VPS Pool Mining Script
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gigawatt (OP)

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 02:51:59 PM
Last edit: August 31, 2013, 05:41:08 PM by gigawatt

RESERVED

Notes:
  • The script automatically runs the SecureCoin miner whenever the node is rebooted.  You can use this to your advantage!
    • Shut down your mining node and make a snapshot or backup image of it.
    • Create new nodes based on the snapshot/backup.
    • The new nodes will begin mining as soon as they boot!
  • SecureCoin uses the same hash algorithm as QuarkCoin.  If you want to mine QuarkCoins instead of SecureCoins, just change the pool info to point to a QuarkCoin pool!  See below for an example.

Quark Mining Config (example):
Code:
SECURECOIN_WORKER="your_quarkcoin_address"
SECURECOIN_PASS="x"
SECURECOIN_POOL="http://qrkpool.tk:8868"

BTC: 1E2egHUcLDAmcxcqZqpL18TPLx9Xj1akcV   Ψ: AWHJbwoM67Ez12SHH4pH5DnJKPoMSdvLz2   Primecoin All-In-One VPS Setup Script   Quarkcoin All-In-One VPS Setup Script   Metiscoin VPS Pool Mining Script
Aggrophobia
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 02:58:29 PM

i prefer adding -march=native to the CFlags
gigawatt (OP)

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 03:01:38 PM

i prefer adding -march=native to the CFlags

I do too.  I left it out for maximum compatibility though.
Some VPS services like DigitalOcean crap their britches when you include it though, so your mileage may vary.

eule

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 03:09:52 PM

How can digitalocean see which compiler flags you use? The miner uses 100% cpu anyways, no matter if compiled for native, sse2 or mmx.
Personally I don't use scripts, makes me feel powerless (and the author could include anything). OK for noobs I guess, but I'd prefer them learning the basics, which aren't that hard to get and basically the same for every coin.

gigawatt (OP)

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 03:36:24 PM

How can digitalocean see which compiler flags you use? The miner uses 100% cpu anyways, no matter if compiled for native, sse2 or mmx.
Personally I don't use scripts, makes me feel powerless (and the author could include anything). OK for noobs I guess, but I'd prefer them learning the basics, which aren't that hard to get and basically the same for every coin.

DigitalOcean doesn't see which flags, that's the job of the compiler.  When you supply "-march=native", the compiler tries to determine which CPU architecture you have, then generates object code based on what instructions your CPU has available.
I think the problem is with DigitalOcean and "-march=native" is how their virtualization works.  It reports the CPU architecture as K5 (don't quote me) but then complains that there's no valid target architecture.

Also, mining at 100% doesn't mean much, only your speeds do, so be sure to check your miner's output to see which works best for you.

aTriz

Activity: 1218
Merit: 683

Tontogether | Save Smart & Win Big

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 03:44:02 PM

Followed this step by step but after I copy the scrypt into Putty nothing happens (no script running)

Help me out giga!

Joerii
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2013, 03:44:37 PM

I think you underestimate the noobishness of some of the readers of this thread. Namely ; me Cheesy

Why us e a VPS ? I though a VPS was only a place to run connections through. Or does it also have CPU's that you can use to mine ?

If so, how much does it cost to rent ? How profitable is it ?

Hypercube - get the attention you deserve
techbytes
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1054

Point. Click. Blockchain

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 03:49:38 PM

Followed this step by step but after I copy the scrypt into Putty nothing happens (no script running)

Help me out giga!

Same here.  My putty session is sitting at the ">" prompt.  How do I know if it is running or not?

Thanks.

-tb-

gigawatt (OP)

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 03:55:31 PM

For those having issues with ">", try the script again.

I had a few lingering tab characters and I added a few newlines at the end for good measure.

RoboCoder

Activity: 388
Merit: 250

Save A Life, Adopt a Pet Today!

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2013, 04:10:43 PM

Still having the problem.. being left at the > prompt
gigawatt (OP)

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 04:12:33 PM

Try something for me real quick?  Remove the first line, the one that starts "#!/bin/bash" and try again?
Let me know if that works.

I've updated the script and removed the "#!/bin/bash", so hopefully that fixes it.

RoboCoder

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2013, 04:25:02 PM

Try something for me real quick?  Remove the first line, the one that starts "#!/bin/bash" and try again?

I've updated the script and removed the "#!/bin/bash", so hopefully that fixes it.

No, still leaves me at the > prompt and a return just gives me another.

Thanks for the help, i am a linux weakling - windows guy (oh no!)

I am using digital ocean if that makes a difference.  Also, when I paste i am at a:  ~# prompt
techbytes
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1054

Point. Click. Blockchain

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 04:35:23 PM

I am using digital ocean if that makes a difference.  Also, when I paste i am at a:  ~# prompt

I ran the script again without the {} and now the script is running and doing its thing.

-tb-

RoboCoder

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2013, 04:42:37 PM

I ran the script again without the {} and now the script is running and doing its thing.

-tb-

Just figured out the same thing!  Thanks!
RoboCoder

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2013, 04:43:52 PM

Whats the easiest way to monitor or verify mining is running?
gigawatt (OP)

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 04:50:14 PM

If you want to verify CPU usage:
Code:
ps aux | grep -v grep | grep -i minerd

If you want numbers:
Code:
~/peek

RoboCoder

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2013, 04:52:30 PM

Code:

If you want numbers:
Code:
~/peek

Says no such file or directory for peek.

I don't think the script completely ran.  Going to reboot and try again..
gigawatt (OP)

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 04:56:16 PM

Code:

If you want numbers:
Code:
~/peek

I don't think the script completely ran.  Going to reboot and try again..

Last time, I promise.  I found the bug with the script, so it should work now, {}s and all.
Turns out bash was gobbling the "run-miner" file section.  I forgot that "!" has special meaning at the command line.

RoboCoder

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2013, 04:58:39 PM

Code:

If you want numbers:
Code:
~/peek

I don't think the script completely ran.  Going to reboot and try again..

Last time, I promise.  I found the bug with the script, so it should work now, {}s and all.
Turns out bash was gobbling the "run-miner" file section.

Thanks!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: