Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 10:57:52 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 25k coins bought, $10 jump  (Read 6249 times)
P_Shep
Legendary

Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198

This is not OK.

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 10:19:30 PM

Man, do I regret cashing out $5000 yesterday!
Still, needed the the money. Just how long can one wait, eh?
alexanderanon

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 10:25:18 PM

The network seems to jumping by leaps and bounds everyday, but just today it exploded some 30% from 600 TH to 800 TH. Jesus...

Anyone know if this is ASICminer turning on some massive number of new hashers, or what?
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 11:06:55 PM

The network seems to jumping by leaps and bounds everyday, but just today it exploded some 30% from 600 TH to 800 TH. Jesus...

Anyone know if this is ASICminer turning on some massive number of new hashers, or what?

I would guess it is an asic company using community pre order money to build their own farm and then ship once the easy money has been made.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 11:39:33 PM

Likely a tag team effort from the 100TH/s MegaBigPower mine and 200TH/s GigaHashIO ramping up their hash hulks. Will ASICMiner pool become uneconomical and phase themselves out though?  Shocked

Vires in numeris
OmegaNemesis28

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 12:27:56 AM

BFL has been shipping OODLES of Jalapenos and 60GH Singles. They've flown through the 3 weeks of orders in a matter of a single work week. They probably are arriving in a steady fashion. I know I just got mine yesterday as a July 10th order, and they claim they're up to July 22nd already.

Also, while Im here, can someone explain to me why CampBX or others typically have BTC cheaper than Mtgox? What is preventing people from just buying CampBX and then selling Mtgox almost instantly?
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 12:46:00 AM

Maybe, but I'd think anyone with that much money at stake would be working with Gox to get the money transferred our rather than taking a $250k haircut. Unless they have some inside info that Gox's collapse is imminent.

After FBI seized 5.8M USD from mtgox, I doubt they are still solvent enough to cash out 25000 BTC in USD.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 01:46:34 AM

Maybe, but I'd think anyone with that much money at stake would be working with Gox to get the money transferred our rather than taking a $250k haircut. Unless they have some inside info that Gox's collapse is imminent.

After FBI seized 5.8M USD from mtgox, I doubt they are still solvent enough to cash out 25000 BTC in USD.

unless GOX is buying coins from bitstamp, etc., selling those coins at their inflated prices.  they can probably still cash withdrawal fiat to their own domestic bank in japan.
xxjs

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 02:17:52 AM

Nobody spends money with deflating prices, anyone?
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2013, 06:42:43 AM

They probably want to get their money out of gox and have no choice in the matter? Buy BTC and transfer out?

Once out, they will then deposit into BitStamp. taking advantage of arbitrage. Some people just don't know how the Stock Market works.  Roll Eyes

How do you arbitrage by purchasing bitcoins on an exchange with a higher price and then transferring them to an exchange with a lower price?

I'm not exactly sure how it's done, but I think it somehow involves a second person acting as the liaison between the two exchanges. Then, when the lower priced exchange rises, money is pulled out and put in the other exchange that has also risen the same exact percentage, thus not losing anything during the transfer. Soon, though, Mt Gox starts rising again, whereupon, say, at a 10% increase, once again money is pulled out and put back into Bitstamp, or maybe even a lesser used exchange to somehow cloak the traders intent/identity, for nobody wants to be caught red-handed practicing such a practice.

I hope my description of arbitrage helps those that weren't aware of how it works.

Happy trading!
Hyena
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1013

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2013, 08:33:50 AM

I have heard this "logic" several times. In the business economics course my lecturer said it too, he even called everyone idiots for spending money during the deflation.

However, this is a very flawed mindset. Are you really so greedy that you're willing to starve because your money could be worth more tomorrow? Also, in the case of bitcoin, one can never know when the trend reverses so buying stuff during an uptrend is actually a wise thing to do.

★★★ CryptoGraffiti.info ★★★ Hidden Messages Found from the Block Chain (Thread)
FNG

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 11:39:02 AM

Also, while Im here, can someone explain to me why CampBX or others typically have BTC cheaper than Mtgox? What is preventing people from just buying CampBX and then selling Mtgox almost instantly?
A purchase of 161 coins on CampBX increases the price by over $11
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 05:12:07 PM

I have heard this "logic" several times. In the business economics course my lecturer said it too, he even called everyone idiots for spending money during the deflation.

Of course, everyone who ever bought a computer (computers are in perpetual state of deflation) is an idiot by his logic. Yea right.

Professors of economics, economic experts, pundits, and such have had their chance, multiple times, and have repeatedly proven themselves idiots and their theories idiotic. Only an idiot would take them seriously after everything we've seen in the past 50 years. Even those who profited - especially them - don't take the mainstream econimic theories seriously.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
xxjs

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 05:21:20 PM

The fundamental error made by the inflationists is that they conflate money with demand. In reality, demand is the goods and services the buyer brings to the market, and supply is the goods and services the seller brings to the market. Money is just the oil to smooth out differences in many to many trades and time preferences.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 05:23:03 PM

deflation is a long term thing. sharp increases in the price are just as likely to be a trap as a legitimate long term movement. this means there is plenty of reason to buy things when the price is rising. you get more stuff for the money you invested. i bought amnesia the dark decent for 0.02btc and im feeling pretty good about it =)

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
xxjs

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 05:26:27 PM

deflation is a long term thing. sharp increases in the price are just as likely to be a trap as a legitimate long term movement. this means there is plenty of reason to buy things when the price is rising. you get more stuff for the money you invested. i bought amnesia the dark decent for 0.02btc and im feeling pretty good about it =)

Right, and the other side of the coin: We have no problem buying bitcoins when the price is rising.
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 4569

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 05:44:12 PM

Some people just don't know how the Stock Market works.

Ah yes, the stock market. Keep buying and selling those BTC shares in accordance with established stock market technical analysis.

When do you think the shares will be split?

Roll Eyes
JimboToronto
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 06:00:58 PM

The "shares" will be split when people start using satoshis instead of bitcoins.

Bitcoin comes pre-split. I've long referred to prices as being in millions of satoshis rather than fractions of bitcoins.

I was having fun with Phinneus' obviously sarcastic (judging by the rolling-eyes smiley) referral to the stock market as if it had anything to do with Bitcoin.
JimboToronto
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 06:30:43 PM

sure, ok.

It just struck me as badly wrong claiming that Bitcoin is not like a stock (obviously only to some degree) only because it supposedly "cannot be split" or is "pre-split". By this logic GOOG and BRK/A are not stocks.

My point was that the Bitcoin (or any other crypto-currency) market is different from previous established markets like stocks, commodities, metals, and forex, although obviously there are many similarities.

While market manipulation is as old as history, the small size and low liquidity leave it more vulnerable.

It's a lot easier and cheaper to move the price up or down than to corner the market on onions.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2013, 07:56:28 PM

I was having fun with Phinneus' obviously sarcastic (judging by the rolling-eyes smiley) referral to the stock market as if it had anything to do with Bitcoin.

Gage is never sarcastic. You simply can not think on his wave length.

Actually, I brought a new computer and it didn't come with sarcastic tags or a smiley button. Seriously, I've yet to take a screenshot with it because I don't know which button to push without Googling it. It took me a week to figure out the mouse pad--by accident--so that I no longer have to touch the screen to do stuff. Ironically, the main reason for purchasing this damn thing is so that I would have that ability, now I don't use it.

Yes, I was being sarcastic with my two previous posts, insinuating that one could buy high and sell low, but make it up in volume. I figured if it was good enough for The Polish Maverick to remove the zeros from the roulette wheels, the sound advice should carry over to bitcoin investing.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 10:56:06 PM

sure, ok.

It just struck me as badly wrong claiming that Bitcoin is not like a stock (obviously only to some degree) only because it supposedly "cannot be split" or is "pre-split". By this logic GOOG and BRK/A are not stocks.

My point was that the Bitcoin (or any other crypto-currency) market is different from previous established markets like stocks, commodities, metals, and forex, although obviously there are many similarities.

While market manipulation is as old as history, the small size and low liquidity leave it more vulnerable.

It's a lot easier and cheaper to move the price up or down than to corner the market on onions.

It may be a lot easier and cheaper to move the price up.  Down is a different story.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: