Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 02:17:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to determine what difficuly setting to choose for a worker?  (Read 2050 times)
kidtriton (OP)

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 12:06:52 PM

Most of the pools suggest something like using diff. 1 for CPU or single GPU mining, 2 for multiple GPU, 4 for 2-4GH/s etc.  My question is if you have multiple asicminer block erupters running in cgminer as a worker, do you choose a difficulty of 1 based on each erupter doing 336MH/s or would you choose a difficulty setting based on the cumulative speed? 

Example:
1 block erupter - diff 1
3 block erupters - diff 1
6 block erupters - diff 1

or

1 block erupter - diff 1
3 block erupters - diff 2
6 block erupters - diff 4

So more specifically does the work load truly get distributed across all the devices running in an instance of cgminer or does each device still do its own work at its own speed?  The line by line output makes me think that the work is considered "many 336MH/s devices" vs. a single 2GH/s device if you had 6 of them.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 01:02:40 PM

or would you choose a difficulty setting based on the cumulative speed?

It's a cumulative hash rate per worker that matters.  So select the base difficulty rate of all your erupters added together on each worker.  I selected a base difficulty of 2 for a worker with 5 Block Erupters even though Diff1 would have been fine too.

It's a bit of a subjective thing too.  If you want to use less bandwidth on your internet connection increase your base difficulty.
Sam

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
kidtriton (OP)

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 01:49:52 PM

So other than creating more traffic than necessary (which could affect the pool servers and yourself) does being able to hash at a higher difficulty not pay off any better than at 1?

When I see shares accepted in cgminer and it says something other than 1/1 (for example 2/1 or 16/1) I assume I get credited for one share, correct?  Is seeing things higher than 1/1 any kind of indication that a higher difficulty would be beneficial?   

And also, what happens when too high a difficulty is chosen?  Do you see your payout rates go down as you maybe aren't able to solve shares as quickly?  So if I have a good idea of what my combined erupters will do at diff 1 then I just need to make sure I don't see a decline in accepted shares over the same amount of time at a higher difficulty?

os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 02:05:31 PM

So other than creating more traffic than necessary (which could affect the pool servers and yourself) does being able to hash at a higher difficulty not pay off any better than at 1?

Nope, unless your using the POT payout method on Ozcoin which is bit like gambling.

When I see shares accepted in cgminer and it says something other than 1/1 (for example 2/1 or 16/1) I assume I get credited for one share, correct?

Correct

Is seeing things higher than 1/1 any kind of indication that a higher difficulty would be beneficial?

Not really, if you see one over 31.3M it will be a block solver.  

And also, what happens when too high a difficulty is chosen?

Just higher variance.  It should still even out over time.

Do you see your payout rates go down as you maybe aren't able to solve shares as quickly?

Your payout could vary up or down.  But, again, it should even out over time.

So if I have a good idea of what my combined erupters will do at diff 1 then I just need to make sure I don't see a decline in accepted shares over the same amount of time at a higher difficulty?

No, if you set your difficulty to 2 you will submit half the number of shares but they will be converted to diff1 shares by the pool and you will be paid on that estimate.  If you set your difficulty to 4 you will submit 1/4th the number of shares and so on.

Whew,  that must be a record number of questions in such a short space. Smiley
Hope it helps,
Sam

kidtriton (OP)

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 02:35:05 PM

Haha, sorry, but thanks for the clarification!

cesmak
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 03:59:59 PM

Thanks from me too, are some days that i'm searching for an answer to the same question.

Thank You !  Smiley

gdpone

Activity: 48

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 04:45:18 PM

Me too, seriously thanks! lol.  Was not going to be that guy lol.
kidtriton (OP)

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 05:23:26 PM

Oh, so now I'm that guy  Grin
mccminer

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 12:46:24 AM

I had questions about this as well after I added my USB Block Eruptors.  I was running a difficulty of 1, and then changed it to 8 on one miner and 16 on the other.  In my experience, the reported hash rate on the mining server swung wildly, and I wasn't ever able to tell if I had miner issues or not.  From what I read, if bandwidth is not a concern, then a difficulty setting of 1 should result in more uniform hash rate readings on the mining server.  To confirm how much bandwidth was actually being used I installed a neat little program on Linux called 'iftop'.
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 01:06:10 AM

then changed it to 8 on one miner and 16 on the other.  In my experience, the reported hash rate on the mining server swung wildly, and I wasn't ever able to tell if I had miner issues or not.

Yes, the higher you set your difficulty the more variance you will have, as you described.

Most pools have variable difficulty so they will adjust the difficulty of work they send you on the fly.  If you have a very high hashrate device/worker then it's good for the pool to increase your base difficulty.  BTC Guilds site has a pretty good scale for that, which you could apply to any pool.
Sam

-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2013, 07:57:35 AM

Organofcorti did an analysis and found that variance would be kept to 1% if share return rate is 20-24 per minute. You return one share per minute on average per 71.6Mhash. So you get to 24 shares at 1.7GH. Using 1% variance as an arbitrary target, that means you should increase your diff by 1 for every 6 Erupters.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
dog.sport

Activity: 6

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 02:48:40 AM

Was not my question but have been looking for the answer, thanks for the explanation and the questions
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: