Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 09:06:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: can i get some expert advice?  (Read 2183 times)
saddambitcoin (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 11:48:13 PM

i bought btc at $13-20 for the most part

it became more money than i had ever had so i panic dumped everything i had around $100 last month

i am trying to stay strong and wait for the next btc crash to buy back in, i do have some LTC but currently no BTC. 

should i just gradually buy BTC and get back in the game or wait for the price to go down?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 11:49:42 PM

Nobody actually knows the answer to your question.

LOL

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 11:53:49 PM

The question is posed when you buy in, the question is answered when you cash out.

You only win if you never cash out.
bitwhizz
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 12:24:12 AM

i would recommend doing both - set some money aside to buy some now, so that if it rockets away you havn't missed the boat, and some money for if it takes a dip, that way you can leverage the risk of both outcomes

edit - aslong as you invest what you can afford to lose- its all good - although i don't really consider bitcoin as being a likely loss in the long run at this price or the previous ATH
bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 12:32:00 AM

just save up some fiat and wait for the next crash. this is bitcoin- about as stable as a drunk pilot on LSD
C10H15N

Activity: 811

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 12:35:00 AM

I bought shares of Yelp! at $11.00.  It went up to $60.00.  I hated to sell a winner, but I did not want to lose if the price crashed.  I sold half.  Made way more than my original investment back and I'm still in the game.   Grin  Win/Win.

Only when the tide goes out do you discover who's been swimming naked. -Warren Buffett
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3044

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 03:08:46 AM

Expert advice: don't put all your money into bitcoins, and likewise never sell all your bitcoins. Instead, aim to have a certain percentage of your wealth in bitcoins (and ever other asset class you invest in). Exactly what percentage you choose depends on your risk tolerance. Say you put 50% of your wealth into bitcoins (as an example), and then the price of bitcoins suddenly doubles. You now have two-thirds of your wealth in bitcoins, and you should sell a quarter of your bitcoins to get back to 50%. Similarly, if the price of bitcoins drops, you will need to buy more bitcoins. In this way, you automatically buy whenever the price is low, and sell whenever the price is high. Easy money.

As for what you should do right now, just buy bitcoins now instead of waiting for the price to crash. Even if the price does crash immediately after you buy, you'll still retain most of your original profit, and in any case you won't sell until the price goes back up.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
derpinheimer
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 03:39:32 AM

We'z gon down  Huh Huh Cry
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2013, 03:42:16 AM

We'z gon down  Huh Huh Cry
lol you sacred?

derpinheimer
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 04:02:42 AM

Why did you buy Bitcoin to begin with and why do you want Bitcoin today?

Im outta dis bitch market.
S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 07:09:37 AM

i bought btc at $13-20 for the most part

it became more money than i had ever had so i panic dumped everything i had around $100 last month

i am trying to stay strong and wait for the next btc crash to buy back in, i do have some LTC but currently no BTC.  

should i just gradually buy BTC and get back in the game or wait for the price to go down?

The bitcoinbullbear report covers bitcoin charts and bitcoin forecasts for all time frames.
It gives you support and resistance values that you can use to protect your position.
https://digitalcurrencyresearch.com/

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2013, 08:14:58 AM

Expert advice: Take all your money you have on your bank accounts and directly wire them to mtgox (it has to be mtgox otherwise this won't work), along with a market order to buy as soon as the funds arrive.
Sell your stuff except a sleeping bag and 2 pair of clothes and do it over.
Then take the largest, longest loan you can get and do it once more.

Once you have done that go to the next park and wait. (You know all the others there are doing the same thing, the new wealthy elite, just wait.)
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 12:57:53 PM

Lots of snark in this thread, although there's actually a pretty simple answer to your question. It sounds like you're not interested in daytrading, i.e. watching price movement on a very fine-grained level, but that you have originally been going for a buy&hold strategy, and then cashed out perhaps a bit too early.

So, assuming you want to continue where you left, i.e. you want to resume buy&hold, but also want to avoid buying in at an unrealistic entrance level, there are two rather obvious options:

(a) if you assume price currently is unrealistically high and will correct down soon, Dollar cost averaging is your friend.

(b) if current price is more or less stable, and will continue to rise from where we are now, Dollar cost averaging is still an option, but buying-in immediately would perform better.

So there's your answer. Determine whether (1) you think price right now is too high, or about right, and (2) how willing to take a risk/risk averse you are. If you think the current price is more or less correct, or you're relatively willing to take a risk, buy-in now, or better: over the course of the next weeks, to spread the risk a bit. If you're more cautious and/or think price is too high, use DCA.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
darklight

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 01:11:54 PM

Why not just put your original stake back in? If you bought at $13-20 and sold at $100, this should be about 1/5 to 1/6 of your cash. That way you've kept your profits, are still in the game, but have a lot in reserve in case of a crash
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 01:15:32 PM

Advice: Think for yourself, do your own research, make your own decisions.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2013, 01:20:22 PM

For volatile investments, such as bitcoin, if you are trying to invest in it, a good strategy is to time-cost average buy.  This means you buy with a fixed amount of your cash on a regular basis. 

For example $1000/week.  Bitcoin is 100, 10 coins, bitcoin is 50, 20 coins, bitcoin is 250, 4 coins
When it goes down you get more then when it is up, but over all, you come out ahead without too much risk of picking the "wrong" time.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
zeta1

Activity: 171
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 01:46:50 PM

For volatile investments, such as bitcoin, if you are trying to invest in it, a good strategy is to time-cost average buy.  This means you buy with a fixed amount of your cash on a regular basis.  

For example $1000/week.  Bitcoin is 100, 10 coins, bitcoin is 50, 20 coins, bitcoin is 250, 4 coins
When it goes down you get more then when it is up, but over all, you come out ahead without too much risk of picking the "wrong" time.

Well lucky you if you can miss a whopping 1000 USD a week Shocked It sounds like a good strategy though! Might try it with a smaller amount.
flagel8

Activity: 188
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 02:56:11 PM

For volatile investments, such as bitcoin, if you are trying to invest in it, a good strategy is to time-cost average buy.  This means you buy with a fixed amount of your cash on a regular basis. 

For example $1000/week.  Bitcoin is 100, 10 coins, bitcoin is 50, 20 coins, bitcoin is 250, 4 coins

Takes some discipline, but removes some of the emotion. This is good. Also, it's what I do. NOT even close to $1000 however, LOL.
saddambitcoin (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 03:45:07 PM

thanks for all the replies. 

i realize now i made my first mistake selling all my bitcoins based on emotion.

dollar cost averaging seems the safest route now. 

saddambitcoin (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 10:47:57 PM

just bought 50 BTC

i will not sell until $1000

lets go!!!!

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: